It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the CDC own a patent on Ebola 'invention?'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Why does the CDC own a patent on Ebola 'invention?'

(NaturalNews) The U.S. Centers for Disease Control owns a patent on a particular strain of Ebola known as "EboBun." It's patent No. CA2741523A1 and it was awarded in 2010. You can view it here. (Thanks to Natural News readers who found this and brought it to our attention.)

Patent applicants are clearly described on the patent as including:

The Government Of The United States Of America As Represented By The Secretary, Department Of Health & Human Services, Center For Disease Control.

The patent summary says, "The invention provides the isolated human Ebola (hEbola) viruses denoted as Bundibugyo (EboBun) deposited with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ("CDC"; Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America) on November 26, 2007 and accorded an accession number 200706291."

It goes on to state, "The present invention is based upon the isolation and identification of a new human Ebola virus species, EboBun. EboBun was isolated from the patients suffering from hemorrhagic fever in a recent outbreak in Uganda."

It's worth noting, by the way, that EboBun is not the same variant currently believed to be circulating in West Africa. Clearly, the CDC needs to expand its patent portfolio to include more strains, and that may very well be why American Ebola victims have been brought to the United States in the first place. Read more below and decide for yourself...

link

The Patent:
link

Harvesting Ebola from victims to file patents
From the patent description on the EboBun virus, we know that the U.S. government:

1) Extracts Ebola viruses from patients.

2) Claims to have "invented" that virus.

3) Files for monopoly patent protection on the virus.

To understand why this is happening, you have to first understand what a patent really is and why it exists. A patent is a government-enforced monopoly that is exclusively granted to persons or organizations. It allows that person or organization to exclusively profit from the "invention" or deny others the ability to exploit the invention for their own profit.

It brings up the obvious question here: Why would the U.S. government claim to have "invented" Ebola and then claim an exclusively monopoly over its ownership?

U.S. Government claims exclusive ownership over its "invention" of Ebola
The "SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION" section of the patent document also clearly claims that the U.S. government is claiming "ownership" over all Ebola viruses that share as little as 70% similarity with the Ebola it "invented":

...invention relates to the isolated EboBun virus that morphologically and phylogenetically relates to known members filoviridae... In another aspect, the invention provides an isolated hEbola EboBun virus comprising a nucleic acid molecule comprising a nucleotide sequence selected from the group consisting of: a) a nucleotide sequence set forth in SEQ ID NO: 1; b) a nucleotide sequence that hybridizes to the sequence set forth in SEQ ID NO: 1 under stringent conditions; and c) a nucleotide sequence that has at least 70%, 75%, 80%, 85%, 90%, 95%, 96%, 97%, 98%, or 99% identity to the SEQ ID NO:

1. In another aspect, the invention provides the complete genomic sequence of the hEbola virus EboBun.

WTF?

Just wondering - if someone catches ebola, can they sue them for copyright infringement too ?
or is it just business as usual, taking their body into custody, alas harvesting a genetically better EboBun antivirus-protection(TM)?

What is this crap with patenting decease strains ? I understand it for a investigative purpose to prevent it, but from there to patent a unique strain?

Thread inspired by
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thanks thesmokingman
edit on 15/10/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think the purpose is to keep the pharmaceutical companies from profiting off of it.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
I think the purpose is to keep the pharmaceutical companies from profiting off of it.

Probably... the government hates competition

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

So that the GOVERNMENT can profit from it.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Or it's just some more NLBS from natural news.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It could be that they own the invention of isolating it. if you 'own' the virus, it would probably make it easier for them to 'own' the cure a.k.a. vaccine.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
www.snopes.com...

A bit more info.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I checked several places... its just weird.. here is from snopes

TRUE: The CDC patented a strain of Ebola in 2010.

FALSE: The CDC created Ebola and obtained a patent for it to restrict or profit from the development of a vaccine.

snopes

Lol, dont think it was "invented" other by mamma nature. But their strain could lead to a cure, and this is where the patent comes in the game? Every "cure" comes at a cost... because its copyrigthed ... so disgusting!

edit: you beat me to it...
edit on 15/10/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

Kind of messed up. I've written a couple of dozen patents and it is my understanding that one CANNOT patent something that occurs naturally as a course of nature or the environment. As an example, you can't patent a speckled trout, you can't patent an oak tree, etc. You can patent a genetically modified speckled trout or oak tree or any other GMO, etc.

So it begs the question.... If the US government has registered a patent for "designer" Ebola on behalf of the CDC with the recipient being the US government (a little conflict of interest there), it would stand to reason that this new variant of Ebola was created artificially (a GMO virus) by the CDC, or at least registered by them to probably distance USAMRID from the initial creation of the virus and tying them into starting a possible epidemic in Uganda four to six years ago.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen
I checked several places... its just weird.. here is from snopes

TRUE: The CDC patented a strain of Ebola in 2010.

FALSE: The CDC created Ebola and obtained a patent for it to restrict or profit from the development of a vaccine.

snopes

Lol, dont think it was "invented" other by mamma nature. But their strain could lead to a cure, and this is where the patent comes in the game? Every "cure" comes at a cost... because its copyrigthed ... so disgusting!

edit: you beat me to it...

LOL Snopes can be NLBS anyway.
How about the CDC connected with Merk? Such as "Former CDC head lands vaccine job at Merck"!
Good luck there.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Doesn't matter, but it is interesting who is covering it, media-wise.

The patent is real. Thats fact!
Patent

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

So that the GOVERNMENT can profit from it.

The talking head on the idiot box this morn said with a sh$t eating grin, that Big Pharma's profits are going way up. Somewhere within that brothel that once was Congress, slimy hands reach for bags full of cash and the People are sold out. All is according to plan, or so they think.
edit on 16-10-2014 by HUMBLEONE because: typo

join