It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Java Foundations Intro to Program Design and Data Structres

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
My college Java 1 class is using the book "Java Foundations: Introduction to Program Design and Data Structures Third Edition by John Lewis, Peter DePasquale, and Joseph Chase," and I was reading through the end of chapter programming projects. I feel like many if not all of the projects require skills not yet discussed up to the point of where a person is in the book. Has anyone used this book? Is that a true statement or am I seriously this bad at this stuff lol.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: wwe9112

Haven't read the book; but if there is one - shoot me a wrap up of the chapter ( end of chapter synopsis? ) and the projects they're pitching and I can tell you whether or not it should have been discussed...

Can also probably help you over the hump if I know what the projects are.

** Pictures are probably easier than retyping it

*shrug*
edit on 15-10-2014 by DigitalJedi805 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Don't worry.

You'll pick up stuff as you go along.

And you should be making simple programs to learn what you don't know.

Practice practice practice.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Here they are for chapter 4. There was one on the next page that I didn't get that says Design and implement a program that compares two text input files, line by line, for equality. Print any lines that are not equivalent. I don't think we ever talked about nor was it discussed in class about reading from another file, nor printing, counting has been discussed sorta but not individule characters. I would assume for like the one project that mentions counting vowels you would have to have an if statement for each vowel with whiles as the counter or something. But anyway, thank you.

edit on 33America/Chicago9112 by wwe9112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Well I'll run with that for a minute - but it sounds like your teacher ( or the book ) is fairly far behind where it wants you to be...

** Edit w/ code to follow in 2 minutes.
Hold that thought... Gotta link you to a text file...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
We are on chapter 4, and so far we have talked aboutStrings, variables, constants, primitive data types, operators(expressions) data conversions (like going from int to string or whatever) scanner class, creating objects, string class, random class math class, number format, decimal format, printf, enumeratred types, wrapper classes (autooxing(?)), boolean expressions, if statement, if else, nested if, comparing objects, floats, characters, switch statement, while loop, iterators, do and for statement.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Best way to learn is using this site/youtube channel in my opinion. I started using TheNewBoston a while back for C++, then recently started using it to learn Java. Now I'm finding myself making a 2d game to release on the android market soon!

buckysroom.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Okay, so this is pretty much an implementation of most of those things - but early on, seeing the end product can sometimes be harder than the end product actually is to design.

Check out this code

DISClAIMER: I have not worked in Java for a few years; I had to look up a couple of the file handling methods just to be sure I was feeding you the right info. There may be a couple of typos - capitals vs lowercase issues more than likely.

** already noting a couple of silly slip-ups - making changes as I review my own code closer. Didn't actually compile this but it's close to dead on. Should be before I'm done

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalJedi805

Okay, so this is pretty much an implementation of most of those things - but early on, seeing the end product can sometimes be harder than the end product actually is to design.

Check out this code

DISClAIMER: I have not worked in Java for a few years; I had to look up a couple of the file handling methods just to be sure I was feeding you the right info. There may be a couple of typos - capitals vs lowercase issues more than likely.

Thank you for the help! I have not nor has the book even mentioned Array, try, bufferedreader, catch or exception.

Our miderm was to actually make a leap year checker program if the year was less than 1582 print an error, and let the user enter as many years as they wanted. So you could check one year at a time. I did that with some help and understood it, but that is the only pronject in the chapter I didn't have TOO much issues with and that from what I could see was discussed at one time or another lol.
edit on 33America/Chicago9112 by wwe9112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Lol well that's pretty messed up man; I'll try and get you as close as I can - if you see anything in there that you can't find a definition of at google feel free to ask and I'll break it down for you. I've tutored about 3 people, assisted the head of the computer sciences department teaching class, and been in the business for a few years now. Self taught until I had to get some functional credentials. You'll get there

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalJedi805

** already noting a couple of silly slip-ups - making changes as I review my own code closer. Didn't actually compile this but it's close to dead on. Should be before I'm done

Should be pretty straight now... Maybe refresh that text file. Should compile as is... I think -_-

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

So do you think it is safe to say the programming projects are above the chapters? Perhaps making a person research to do each of them to learn more as you go? Thank you for the help.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: wwe9112
Our miderm was to actually make a leap year checker program if the year was less than 1582 print an error, and let the user enter as many years as they wanted. So you could check one year at a time. I did that with some help and understood it, but that is the only pronject in the chapter I didn't have TOO much issues with and that from what I could see was discussed at one time or another lol.

Hey if you managed that you're not doing bad - and probably were just missing a very small couple of bits to get you through this segment.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

It's no problem man; and I do believe that the project is ahead of the chapter if you haven't covered file IO - but as you stated, this is a good reason to start some research on your own. As a daily programmer; I can attest that I am almost always running into situations where I have to do some lookup - often for something small or just a definition - but it's a part of the gig.

** Stackoverflow.com is one of the best resources for code snippets that exists - if you google something and you see a stackoverflow.com suggestion - take it.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Tehehehehe... Some of these just look fun for kicks lol

Lemme know if any of the others are over your head - probably take me about the same or less time to build something up for you

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I don't think IO is mentioned until the next class (going by class descritions) which is the second Java class lol. It would have been nice if they gave some projects that you could actually do without having to scower the internet but I do understand what it is coming from.

Thank you for the help again. It kinda eased my mind a bit lol. I picked programming as my major at the local community college, but I am second guessing it although not changing my major, I think after I graduate I want to do maybe help desk or data entry, or even perhaps testing software lol. Not so much programming it. I am finding that since I do poorly at math, programming is difficult since there is a lot of math involved lol.

Thanks a million!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

LOL what do you mean they look fun for kicks though >_< lol. Like the star one, I read that and got mad lol. Personally, I would just use println a hundred times lol.

I'll be sure to let you know

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I'll tell you now - unless you get into game development or some of the more complex programming contexts, you won't be using math much more advanced than you already are for this class...

It honestly seems to me like this is your first entry into the field? If that's true - you're off to a wicked start man - especially after 1 class? ( ?!?!? ) I watched people struggle through possibly less complex things for a full semester. You're not so bad off.

The fact that you haven't asked me what any of that code means - says to me that you were probably able to figure it out and that speaks volumes.

Don't sweat it man - I needed a distraction and it's a walk in the park for myself. You're very welcome.

Now give me stars! Lol

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

LOL what do you mean they look fun for kicks though >_< lol. Like the star one, I read that and got mad lol. Personally, I would just use println a hundred times lol.

I'll be sure to let you know

Lol well you're not very far off of how I'd approach that one - maybe like... a for loop nested under another for loop - as one goes up, the starting point of the second goes up. Inside of the double-nest - print out like... 10 - FirstInteger 'spaces' - and 'FirstInteger' stars, followed by a line break.

Think I just nailed it

** Nah... That's not right. I'm inclined to write it though... Maybe this evening - I should be working lol

And please do. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Your code looked kinda weird to me. I pasted it in eclipse and got some errors and saw some weird stuff.

Here are some corrections I made to it. Nothing major!

textuploader.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join