It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic treatment for autism related symptoms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Broccoli Extract Treatment for Autism

Shows a reduction in some of the patients treated, at least as effective as most pharmaceutical treatments with no likely side effects.

There have been many studies on the effect of short sequences of mRNA on protein expression in cells, there have already been findings of anti-inflammatory effects that can be encouraged via this method, so someday we could eat anti-inflammatory apples (which is huge because inflammation is one of the leading causes of death).

I want to live in a world where we plant our houses and they grow from the ground, where we pick our fruit from the interior walls of our homes and our homes heat themselves via engineered heat producing mitochondria. Some day, we could live in a largely organic world. I think we are really just scratching the surface of what genetic engineering can achieve.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Oh ya? So it's going to go into my brain and change the fundamental structure of my neurons? As someone who was clinically assessed and diagnosed with autism at a very young age, and who spent 20 years researching and doing public speeches on it, I can tell you it is not that simple. It's as rediculous as the notion that mercury causes autism.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash

I want to live in a world where we plant our houses and they grow from the ground, where we pick our fruit from the interior walls of our homes and our homes heat themselves via engineered heat producing mitochondria. Some day, we could live in a largely organic world. I think we are really just scratching the surface of what genetic engineering can achieve.

M'Kay, let me know how you're gonna handle the bug situation.

I understand how important bugs are to horticulture, but I'm not real fond of living amongst them.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
As a diagnosed Aspie, I found that medically prescribed weed helped my symptoms. Allowed me to self-reflect and self-analyze, to strengthen my positive aspects and analyze my negative ones. Helped with social anxiety, depression, helped with my ability to communicate (it's hell thinking complex thoughts and being unable to express them properly), cools my body down (water doesn't cool me down when I start sweating due to Zoloft, it makes my temperature spike and it pours off me), allowed me to focus on tasks enough to beat my hand-eye coordination/clumsiness/lack of dexterity.......

I've also found that a diet in mostly raw fruits and veggies, vegetarian helped ease my symptoms too. S + F, thanks for posting this.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
What does "organic treatment" even mean? I'm hoping this isn't chemophobic spin.

Anyway, the chemical in question is sulforaphane. If it can indeed "classic behavioral symptoms in those with autism spectrum disorders" then that's good news, let's hope the wider clinical trials are successful.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

I am reading the study - thank you so much for posting it. In fact, as soon as I can determine dosage, I'm getting in the car and driving to get some for my son.

It may help. It may not. We shall see... The proof is in how he feels and what he does differently, if anything. If he feels better on it, then that will be a major win. If he doesn't, it will be another thing to scratch off the list. Every person is different, but if this helps at a level of cellular processing, that may be a huge benefit.

I appreciate the source - Johns Hopkins is no slouch on the research!!!

From the source link you provided:

In a report published online in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences during the week of Oct. 13, the researchers say that many of those who received a daily dose of the chemical sulforaphane experienced substantial improvements in their social interaction and verbal communication, along with decreases in repetitive, ritualistic behaviors, compared to those who received a placebo.

peace,
AB

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The psychiatrist said he thought I had Asperger's. I think I might have schizotypal autism. Whatever mental disorder I have, I wouldn't want to cure it, because that wouldn't cure me of anything, it would give me

neurotypical disorder
edit on 191031Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:19:48 -0500201448pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-14T15:19:48-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: introspectionist

Thing about Asperger's is it's easy to misdiagnose. I was told I had chronic depression and anxiety until the doctor figured out that all my symptoms were related. Very easy to misdiagnose as well as over-diagnose because it's more convenient to say a person is odd because they have Asperger's, than to delve into the problem with accuracy.

Aspies are enigmatic. It's both a curse and a blessing.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
My son has Asbergers and I give him broccoli regularly, not sure if it helps but I certainly know certain foods are best avoided, such as sugar, chocolate, caffeine, certain additives and colourings even some of the natural sort.

Meat might also make it worse as he does seem more calm when we do vegetarian food, and being previously vegetarian for many years, I try to ensure we eat mostly vegetarian for around a week a month or a month every 2 or 3 months.

Broccoli is on the menu all week next week.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I agree with your views on veggies in relation to Asperger's. I became a vegetarian and noticed my moods and behavior, as well as physical well-being vastly improved.

I try to make sure it's veggies grown by friends and not Morningstar products (which I was fond of at one time) because they're loaded with preservatives and substances as equally terrifying as modern meats.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I am in the UK and our veg is mostly fresh, even frozen is just literally frozen veg, thankfully our veg isn't full of preservatives, pesticides from farming unless organic are something we do have to consider though.

Because my son is at growing age, I have to give him meat and fish for high quality protein as tofu, Quorn, TVP etc often have additives and gave us stomach aches, otherwise we would eat vegetarian much more often.
edit on 14-10-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

We'd just have to make our engineered life forms (except the food we eat) out of right handed proteins. It would be impossible for any natural life to consume them and would probably take a very long time for evolution to figure out a trick allowing it to overcome this barrier.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I've had Quorn before, the shaped chicken breast pieces. I like how they're made of mushrooms. Reminds me of something they'd eat in Brave New World.

It's difficult to avoid chemicals completely though. Who knows, maybe that's what exacerbates the symptoms for many?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

I just mean these things are synthesized via an organic process. I'm not afraid of pure chemicals so long as the metabolic pathway and excretion of byproducts are well understood. I am interested in things like mRNA treatments because they seem to have fewer side effects. That's really it, if you aren't burning up someone's liver and kidneys in the process of treating them, that's a good thing in my book.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

I'm just sharing a study I found. We still haven't properly explained the placebo effect in all of its many facets. Until we can do that, I don't know if logic is a perfect authority over reality, although it is certainly a useful guide much of the time. Thank you for being so proactive in this world. Earth needs people like you! ;p

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It's from broccoli sprouts. It is a combination of the sulforaphane and the growth hormone in the sprouts. The article states the sulforaphane but neglects to state the hormone which is important. It can increase the effectiveness of the sulfur chemical.

Cabbage can do the almost the same thing but it is pretty cheap to sprout your own broccoli. This would be better than buying sprouts from the store which are treated with chemicals to keep it from growing more and from getting bad. The sprouts do not contain some of the undesirable plant defense chemistry of broccoli.

S&F for starting this thread.

I don't agree that we need to be genetically modifying anything though, the broccoli sprouts already supply an ample dose. If Monsanto gets their hands on this they will just raise the cost.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The store bought sprouts also pose a risk with bacteria. I've sprouted several seeds and they're much better than store bought sprouts.

If it helps, someone will manipulate it and control it, or suppress it.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

It might be the fact that mycoprotein is a fungus /mould that is then fermented. Reportedly 5% of UK Quorn consumers reported reactions. it is marketed here as the main vegetarian protein.

cspinet.org...
www.health24.com...
edit on 14-10-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I read the study. Very interesting. Small sample size, but over 50% responding well. The article I found stated that, for the dosages used in the trial, it would be impossible to ingest that much sulforaphane from eating broccoli and sprouts. I'm sending an email to my son's doctor. It should be noted that sulforaphane can slow down liver function for some medications. My son is on one of the listed meds. So I'll verify first.

Interesting. Broccoli is one of my son's favorite veggies. Likes it raw best, but will now eat steamed as well.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Cayenne pepper stops the rages
there is an unmentionable weed that helps balance the mood swings and improves focus in a positive way
and I know:
I'm living the dream
thanks CDC

incidentally
My doctor bought me my last jar of cayenne pepper when I was in between funds
the relevant proofs of efficacy and explanations of action may be found via pub med

SandF
I agree OP: inflammation is a key operator...this is a gut based immune system response issue, not a mental illness
Judging from what I have seen in real life so far...the answers are ( and will be) nutritive
edit on Tuepm10b201410America/Chicago29 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join