It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Chief: Citizens Should Be 'Deeply Skeptical' of Government

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Americans should be "deeply skeptical" of government power, says FBI Director James Comey, adding that law enforcement should be able to access someone's telephone only with a court order,

"I believe that Americans should be deeply skeptical of government power," Comey told CBS News' Scott Pelley in an interview for "60 Minutes" that will air on Sunday. "You cannot trust people in power.

"The Founders knew that," he said. "That’s why they divided power among three branches, to set interest against interest."

www.newsmax.com...

Oh yes, butter me up some more.

Preaching to the choir around here, right? Well the article then continues, and references the new Apple iOS8 phones with encryption. And Mr. Comey don't like dat, not one bit.

"The notion that we would market devices that would allow someone to place themselves beyond the law, troubles me a lot," Comey said. "As a country, I don’t know why we would want to put people beyond the law.

Government puts themselves beyond the law all the time, and particularly with the outrageous spying it does on its own citizens, not to mention on its own allies. I think they are crying because they won't be able to listen in on conversations anymore they should NEVER have been able to listen in on IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Boo hoo, Comey, cry me a river. Maybe if you people knew when to put the self-brakes on, like we trusted you to, we wouldn't NEED devices like that.

And Comey, I'm way beyond "deeply skeptical' of government. It's to the point that I believe the exact opposite of whatever BS you're trying to sell me today. The house needs to be cleaned. With bleach.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The only fitting response to this is no #!

Question is, when should REAL Americans go from being skeptical of government to living in fear of them?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Memo to Mr. Corney,

Many of us already are and have been for some time. Where were you?

Signed,

We The People.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
" FBI Chief: Citizens Should Be 'Deeply Skeptical' of Government "

Ahh yes.

The old controlled opposition routine again !!

The FBI is of course under the Obama Administration umbrella.

They are getting nervous and trembling because the elections are in a couple of weeks.

They are attempting to save face among their own base.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
"You cannot trust people in power" he says.

Is this the only truth to come out of government in the last 50 years, perhaps? Maybe so.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This is like a Klansman telling a black person don't wrinkle my sheet.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

We are far beyond the point of being unable to trust the people in power now. Problem is, they are way too powerful now to do a damned thing about it.

I'm sure the FBI dude is more aware of that fact than most people are.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think that using bleach is not a strong enough metaphor when it come to cleaning house .Too too many crevices and you really wont get to the underlying power structure that exist .I think I might start believing the next President that comes to power but refuses to inhabit the old halls of power . Maybe the new pres could hang out with Moxy and give us daily briefings on what he is doing to give the US a semblance of honesty and openness ....good luck with that though .

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What I find astonishing is how many here on ATS think that if their particular flavor of political party is in power, that things sill change. Where in Gods name will the power come from to change the tyrannical Corporate Oligarchy and the accompanying corruption.

The entire power structure is controlled with money from the Corporations who in turn dance to the military/industrial complex tune. And it's all paid for by taxpayers dollars.

I can assure you that in 5 years there will be private corporate police forces to fill the corporate prisons and the judicial system will be more of a joke than it already is and that includes the FBI.
edit on 12-10-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
What?! We should not live in fear, that is what is wanted. Need to step up to these #s.

On topic:
How dare he! A good patriot never is skeptical of their government. (sarcasm)

Preaching to the choir around here, for the most part...

Outside of these sites and people, the rest will see him as a kook to meme about and that the Constitution definitely needs to be changed because it infringes on their right to destroy our rights.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

"You cannot trust people in power" he says.

Is this the only truth to come out of government in the last 50 years, perhaps? Maybe so.

They say this now.

Later, they will sell the opposite.

They say to trust people in power more often than not.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I don't understand why that puts citizens beyond the law. At all. Seems to me if they can't access a phone without a court order, then it's the same thing. You get the court order, then you get the pass for the encryption…simple. It reinforces that tenant.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Utter BS from a man in position to do something about it.

Our Founder's would of quickly hung these fools.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The sad reality is that "they" could say ANYTHING and the vast majority of ignorant, apathetic and easily manipulated Americans would woithout question believe it.

In fact several would likely scramble to find a source, come to ATS to see if they can be the first to start a thread about it.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Is he trying to make me believe that all their spying has been done legally?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

According to the current PTB, the founders were wrong on, well, everything, also long dead and they were racists!

Also the constitution is an outdated, obsolete and unworkable document that needs to be completely revised.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, must be a domestic terrorist.

edit on 12-10-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Gotta be the old bait and switch!

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Read the Federalist papers and you will find that Corney speaks the truth. The fear of the abuse of power and the corrupting nature of power on even good people is rife within those documents.

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. Federalist #51

www.constitution.org...

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It's ok because Obama And the democrats are in charge.

Anyway, if you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. I will glady suspend comstitutional rights and checks and balances if it means impeding right wing and liberterian political groups...er I mean terrorists.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
It's ok because Obama And the democrats are in charge.

Anyway, if you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. I will glady suspend comstitutional rights and checks and balances if it means impeding right wing and liberterian political groups...er I mean terrorists.

Funny, I would never agree to suspending constitutional rights and checks and balances, even if it meant impeding communists and nazis.

<<   2  3 >>

join