It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the USA now fundamentally broken after being changed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

The question asked in the article is:

Is the government so fundamentally broken that it can no longer protect it's citizens?

Ebola has now crossed the borders despite being told it was extremely unlikely to do so

The mystery virus that is killing children or causing paralysis has been traced to where the immigrant children from South America were sent around the country to be given asylum.

The Islamic State of Daesh is regularly beheading americans and threatening the US with terrorism

Racial tensions are so high there are many cities where white people can not walk safely without risk of being attacked by gangs of black youths calling the beatings justice

The Secret Service no longer does a decent job of protecting the President

The IRS has been allowed to hide proof they targeted Americans because of their political beliefs and have even publically stated that they did nothing wrong in targeting people for political beliefs.

The NSA collects all the emails and phone calls made (the to/from info) of all Americans and the government approves and even built them huge storage facilities

The government lies about unemployment using only the numbers of people actively looking for work, ignoring the fact that 40% of all american adults are unemployed, many because they are too discouraged to even look anymore.

Drug resistant TB has been allowed to cross the border this past summer infecting Border Patrol Agents.

Political correctness has run so amok that the DOJ refuses to look into Black Panthers calling for the killing of all white americans and waving billy clubs at the voting polls. The government won't investigate a mosque that has had several members go join the Islamic State, and the President actually sent the Imam at that mosque a thank you note.

The Affordable Care Act has left as many if not more (depending on your source) Americans uninsured than before it was enacted. The cost of health insurance has gone way up despite the promise of the cost going down. If the cost itself didn't go up then the deductibles are so high that people might as well not have insurance at all.

The US sent troops to where Ebola is active and they will interact with sick patients, since when were troops to be used for non-military actions abroad? Why send them to where you know some will die, not from combat, but because they government sent them to a known medical hazzard.

What I see is a very very sick country that has been fundamentally changed and broken nearly beyond repair. I see nothing positive that has been accomplished in the past few years. Only actions that have continued to destroy the very fabric of the nation.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I imagine it seemed like the end of the world before, civil rights protests, women voting rights, prohibition, the McCarthey hearings but we're still here.

The article title you linked was: Cry of G.O.P. in Campaign: All Is Dismal

I think the negativity and anger helps get votes. I would not worry about the end of society as we know it yet. Things get better, things get worse, has been happening for a long time.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Nero fiddles while Rome burns. An ancient and modern tale.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
I imagine it seemed like the end of the world before, civil rights protests, women voting rights, prohibition, the McCarthey hearings but we're still here.

The article title you linked was: Cry of G.O.P. in Campaign: All Is Dismal

I think the negativity and anger helps get votes. I would not worry about the end of society as we know it yet. Things get better, things get worse, has been happening for a long time.

What is better?

Who is capable of making it better?

Just saying it will get better would be like telling the Romans at the end of the empire, don't worry, things will get better, and Rome will once again be what is was.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
Nero fiddles while Rome burns. An ancient and modern tale.

Or in our case...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Remember all these problems are because of Obama and his democrats. Vote republican.

Lol, the entire system has been broken for a long time. No one in politics is going to fix any of this. If you put Ted Cruz in charge we'd see more of the same. We saw all this under Bush. Seriously we could coat the whole southern border with land mines and drones and disease would still get here as would terrorism.

People need to stop pretending that anyone can fix this. The system is inherently unworkable. Unless a serious concerted effort is made to change the way everything works it will just be more reactive crisis oriented problem solving eventually resulting in the end of humanity or at least the end of any chance of progress

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Agreed, it's failing and no party will solve it, left or right

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Now I am even more sad, and it is the start of the weekend, and it is going to rain here for the next day and a half.

Yay.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This reads like a typical GOP campaign, funny how it was the GOP that created the survalleance state and wasn't it bush and his cronies that presided over the U.S. during 9/11, not mention that both Bush and Cheney are both complicit in a coverup regarding the demolishing many of the building that fell in 9/11 and slow air force response?

The people who destroyed your country aren't those "evil" illegal immigrants from south of the border, NO, look to your politicians, your bankers, your secret governments, and to that tiny minority of people, not from the Americans, that run your country behind the scenes.

If you want to "fix" the U.S. then I think a purge from top to bottom at every level, in every agency, both public and secret, in every bank, every corporation, etc. may help.
edit on 10-10-2014 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
No offense OP...

I can't vote for anyone in office. They are all the problem.

There are just as many bad Republicans.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: deloprator20000

Interesting,

no one has said that the USA is NOT fundamentally broken

at this time at least (early responder)

So regardless of political affiliation of each responder

all agree the USA is fundamentally broken

edit on 3Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:36:37 -0500pm101010pmk105 by grandmakdw because: headline

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
www.nytimes.com...

The question asked in the article is:

Is the government so fundamentally broken that it can no longer protect it's citizens?

Ebola has now crossed the borders despite being told it was extremely unlikely to do so

The mystery virus that is killing children or causing paralysis has been traced to where the immigrant children from South America were sent around the country to be given asylum.

The Islamic State of Daesh is regularly beheading americans and threatening the US with terrorism

Racial tensions are so high there are many cities where white people can not walk safely without risk of being attacked by gangs of black youths calling the beatings justice

The Secret Service no longer does a decent job of protecting the President

The IRS has been allowed to hide proof they targeted Americans because of their political beliefs and have even publically stated that they did nothing wrong in targeting people for political beliefs.

The NSA collects all the emails and phone calls made (the to/from info) of all Americans and the government approves and even built them huge storage facilities

The government lies about unemployment using only the numbers of people actively looking for work, ignoring the fact that 40% of all american adults are unemployed, many because they are too discouraged to even look anymore.

Drug resistant TB has been allowed to cross the border this past summer infecting Border Patrol Agents.

Political correctness has run so amok that the DOJ refuses to look into Black Panthers calling for the killing of all white americans and waving billy clubs at the voting polls. The government won't investigate a mosque that has had several members go join the Islamic State, and the President actually sent the Imam at that mosque a thank you note.

The Affordable Care Act has left as many if not more (depending on your source) Americans uninsured than before it was enacted. The cost of health insurance has gone way up despite the promise of the cost going down. If the cost itself didn't go up then the deductibles are so high that people might as well not have insurance at all.

The US sent troops to where Ebola is active and they will interact with sick patients, since when were troops to be used for non-military actions abroad? Why send them to where you know some will die, not from combat, but because they government sent them to a known medical hazzard.

What I see is a very very sick country that has been fundamentally changed and broken nearly beyond repair. I see nothing positive that has been accomplished in the past few years. Only actions that have continued to destroy the very fabric of the nation.

The NY Times should claim some responsibility for this debacle. The helped to put the guy in office.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

The US was already fundamentally broken, or the ignorant sheeple of Amerika wouldn't have allowed the change to occur. America was roken A LONG TIME AGO.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusSubprime

So you also agree that today the USA is fundamentally broken.

The exact point I was making.

Regardless of a person's idea of how or when it happened, it has happened

we all seem to agree the USA is fundamentally broken.

From your point of view the past 6 years has not changed things for the better but furthered the decline of the USA.

So we still agree, the USA is fundamentally broken.

edit on 4Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:22:54 -0500pm101010pmk105 by grandmakdw because: spelling

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

OMG yes! This is an extremely virulent disease that has killed millions of people! Not a single person in Africa remains that hasn't already lost a loved one to it. There are entire villages of orphaned children living in the shadow of it, and the Catholic Church, which is supposed to be protecting these people is teaching them it is a plague sent by God to punish them and that if they were just good enough they wouldn't be dying from it.

Oh, I'm sorry, that's AIDS, it's been here for decades and no one is remotely upset about it. My bad.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I tell you what, if the USA is broken, why doesnt somebody come try and take it? They would see just how not broken we really are.

If a natural disaster were to occur tonight anywhere in the world, those victims would see just how not broken the USA is.

I will admit we have problems most other nations do not have, either because of population levels or heavy handed govts.

It seems our leaders and politicians have lost sight of what is important (or maybe they haven't)

The list in the OP give like 10-15 examples, some can be argued, most are valid points. If the USA were a country of say 1 million people yeah that would bad.
But we are not.

We could list thousands of things that make our country fundamentally stable.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

We could list thousands of things that make our country fundamentally stable.
a reply to: tinner07

such as...?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: RunForTheHills

I was afraid somebody would call me out on that statement.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I was looking forward to some good fundamentally stable examples. Going back into my cave and will continue to wait for something, anything that has a chance of being positive.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

edit on 10-10-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join