It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question About Apple TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I'm hoping some of you fine folks can help me out with this question, as I can not find any definitive answer myself. Some information says yes and some says no.

My question is, if you have an Apple TV box can you stream any live link to your tv through your iPad? I currently have a roku box and I can download movies to my PC and stream them through Plex to my tv and that works great. I was just thinking that if I could stream directly through my iPad without having to download them all to my PC, that would be much faster and easier.

I only recently heard about airplay and I have not had my iPad long enough to be very comfortable with Apple products, so I wanted to ask before I wasted money on a box that would do exactly what my roku already does. And will it matter if I have an iPad 2 instead of a newer model?

So... In short - If I can stream a tv show through ANY site online on my iPad, could I stream that same show through Apple TV/airplay directly through my tv in real time?

Any help would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Google Chromecast does it all...and works amazingly with Plex.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and bail on your crApple products.

Chromecast works with iPads from what I understand though. As long as you can use Google chrome browser.

edit on thpamFri, 10 Oct 2014 08:18:12 -0500k1410America/Chicago1018 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

Google Chromecast does it all...and works amazingly with Plex.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and bail on your crApple products.

Chromecast works with iPads from what I understand though. As long as you can use Google chrome browser.

I'd be more than happy to go with google chromecast if it would work like that. I'm not a fanboy/girl of Apple by any means. The iPad and a first gen iPod nano are the only Apple products I've ever owned. That's why I don't know what's what lol.

I certainly don't love them enough to spend a ton more money on Apple TV if chromecast will do the same thing. I just want something that will allow me to stream live links I without having to download them first.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I will look into chromecast and see what I can find out.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I had a similar problem,

You have to go to online sites and chats and forums that specialize in this, my biggest breakthrough came when I realized I can splice cables to make connections otherwise were impossible.

This is a full time 3 day project, make no mistake, safety first.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I use AirPlay a lot! I love it. I don't want to promise it will do everything, but it has done everything I have thrown at it. I have found that most of the things I was streaming though are now available as "apps" on the ATV.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I have Google Chromecast, Roku, AND Apple TV. I only use the Chromecast! Yes you can stream from iPad to chromecast. Yes you can stream from pc to Chromecast without using Plex!

Oh, and Chromecast is the lowest prices of the three!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

If you download the apple remote made by Apple you can "mirror" everything on your device to your TV (games, movies, everything). Whatever is on your Apple device will show on your TV. The apple remote is great too because you can directly control apple TV with your phone or iPad.

join