It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Reasons America Can Calm the [snip] Down About Ebola

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
5 Reasons America Can Calm the F#@% Down About Ebola

By "America" i assume they're referring to the USA.

I cannot confirm fact or fiction. What i can say is, i'm not worried and ebola can suck my thumb.

Here are the five reasons, and if you click the link, they will provide their reasoning further:

5. You'd Have to Go Out of Your Way to Get It (and Would Still Probably Fail)
Go ahead and Google "how to avoid getting Ebola" and see what pops up. Chances are you'll stumble upon the CDC's Q&A outlining such life-changing preventative measures as "washing your hands" and "not touching corpses and bats."

4. Anyone Looking to Scare You Is Out for a Profit
Magazines want to sell magazines, websites want pageviews, and attention-hungry jerkoffs want attention. The world keeps spinning, and meanwhile we get headlines that look like they should be covered in apocalypse dust.

3. The Panic Is Worse Than the Disease
Now that the media has sandblasted us with fear, it's time to clamber over each other like a crowd in a theater that someone yelled "fire" in before actually lighting it on fire.

2. Containing Ebola Is a Walk in the Park (if Your Country Has a Modern Healthcare System)
It's true -- Ebola is a serious mother#er in countries with failing economic and sanitation standards.

1. Ebola Is the Last Sickness You Should Be Worrying About
What if we were to tell you that there's a contagion out there that kills tens of thousands of Americans every year? Between 2003 and 2005 it straight-up capped the population equivalent of Green Bay, and it's called influenza, or "flu" for short. Compare that to Ebola, which has killed only 5,000 people since the first Star Wars came out.

Here's to hoping ebola will stay out of the limelight and make way for more pressing issues such as Mars' rocks resembling something they're not... (i do appreciate the effort [member name removed], and others)
edit on Wed Oct 8 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: title edit Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

edit on 8-10-2014 by thirdcoast because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: thirdcoast
2. Containing Ebola Is a Walk in the Park (if Your Country Has a Modern Healthcare System)
It's true -- Ebola is a serious mother#er in countries with failing economic and sanitation standards.

So I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have never been to an inner city. Trust me, there is no economic, or sanitation standards.

Now I want you to think about the fact that nearly every city with a population over ~50,000 has their own 'Little Guadalajara'.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Good stuff, thanks for posting.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
no, if you choose to bury your head in the sand and not look at this as a serious scenario then by all means do so. but this is a very serious issue and not to be taken lightly by any means.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: thirdcoast

I agree, for another example the H1N1 pandemic was much worse with something like 250,000 deaths back in 2009-2010.
In the US there were over 12,000 deaths and so far only 1 from ebola.

Final estimates were published in 2011. These final estimates were that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010 approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lil Drummerboy

And by all means most will admit if honest that they assumed this man in Texas would survive with medical care in the US. But he didn't.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

I agree, for another example the H1N1 pandemic was much worse with something like 250,000 deaths back in 2009-2010.
In the US there were over 12,000 deaths and so far only 1 from ebola.

Final estimates were published in 2011. These final estimates were that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010 approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1.

www.cdc.gov...

Yeah imagine what would happen if ebola starts spreading like H1N1........with ebolas mortality rate.....

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

After all the people in other countries that have been exposed to ebola get here, because they are freaked out and think they will get some FREE miracle cure in America. I hope there is a hospital bed left for you in an isolation unit if you by some horrible chance get it.

At the rate they are pouring in, there won't be any isolation hospital beds left for any of us.

Des

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Regardless of the severity of Ebola, the government and media will push the fear.

A frightened population is an easily controlled population.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Containing Ebola Is a Walk in the Park (if Your Country Has a Modern Healthcare System)

It seems that "modern health care systems" turn people away with Ebola and ask contactees to go home and shelter in place.

They don't want their shiny insurance money makers infected with Ebola. Imagine a scenario where hospitals are being closed because of Ebola or people stop going there for other things because of the stigma. I wonder how many patients left the Presbyterian in Dallas or are no longer going there?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Regardless of the severity of Ebola, the government and media will push the fear.

A frightened population is an easily controlled population.

I gave you a star because in theory i agree with you....

However its the fact that the gov is downplaying it , that is making people nervous........

Their MO is to hype stuff up that really isnt that big of a deal........

Here in Dallas there hasnt been that, theres been obfuscation , downplaying and outright lies by the CDC and others on whats really going on .....

THATS why people are starting to get scared......

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Dear Destinyone,

I think you have a point. The US is not imposing a quarantine even on air flights to and from Africa. Our borders are not secure and I can't think of way to stop it using current policies.

The government has announced they will be taking temperatures at airports, and people with fevers will be led to a holding area. First, pretty much the whole world knows you can lower your temperature with Ibuprofen. But consider what happens if five people are in a holding area, one has Ebola and four have the flu. After a while, how many people will have Ebola? Some scientists believe that if a moist air particle from a sneeze or a cough enters the lungs of someone else, the virus can be spread.

Problem is, no one is sure how it spreads now, and like other viruses it will mutate as it gets passed around.

I'm not worried about Ebola now, that's not my job. But those scientists had better be breaking their backs to find a cure or we'll all be worried about it.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I would agree and state that it is social engineering and manipulation, however.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Unfortunately many on ATS will ignore you and continue their fearmongering and doomsaying. The funny thing is if a vaccine were to come out for Ebola then most of the people pushing the fear now would do a complete 180 and start claiming that the Ebola hype was all a scam to get people vaccinated. Just look at the H1N1 threads to see proof of this phenomenon.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
No Ebola isn't the one to worry about. Because it's a distraction however I'll just say the US isn't as clean as it thinks it is. Anywhere public is crawling with germs, especially in cities. They're filthy. If something did manage to spread quick it would be accelerated by dirty cities and public bathrooms.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Unfortunately many on ATS will ignore you and continue their fearmongering and doomsaying. The funny thing is if a vaccine were to come out for Ebola then most of the people pushing the fear now would do a complete 180 and start claiming that the Ebola hype was all a scam to get people vaccinated. Just look at the H1N1 threads to see proof of this phenomenon.

The quote from the person you are responding to says you have to go out of your way to catch ebola....

100s of thousands of people every year dont go out of their way to catch the Flu, but despite many attempts at cleanliness they still get it....

It wouldnt take NEAR as many cases in the US for this to get out of control...

So no I dont think putting the information out there for people to have about this virus is fear mongering, i think its responsible

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lipton

originally posted by: thirdcoast

So I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have never been to an inner city. Trust me, there is no economic, or sanitation standards.

Now I want you to think about the fact that nearly every city with a population over ~50,000 has their own 'Little Guadalajara'.

There was some anthropological studies which showed that the average ghetto resident rarely if ever travels more than four blocks away from home. So there is little chance of them getting infected unless of course someone comes in from abroad ..
edit on 8-10-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

And apparently in America people have many opportunities to touch bats....

And ugh Cracked. The internet troll's answer to Mad Magazine.

stormcell: I believe it. Usually no cars so they walk to small stores in a set radius. Also public transportation, the cost adds up and takes a big bite out of their cash.
edit on 8-10-2014 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

And apparently in America people have many opportunities to touch bats....

And ugh Cracked. The internet troll's answer to Mad Magazine.

LoL I laughed at that too....the whole bat stigma....

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The worry isn't the current chance of catching Ebola. Of course no one is worried about that (or I hope not).

The worry is if it spreads. It's one pandemic we really don't want spreading. For H1N1, as people mentioned, 12k people died. Pretty stark. But that's with 60 million cases. If it were Ebola instead, you are looking at 30 to 40 MILLION people dying.

If this were to spread in the same way as H1N1, you are looking at worldwide catastrophic numbers of deaths. That's the real worry. Stop looking at the now.. look at what it can become. That's the real worry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join