It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next, suicide booths...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

On Monday, Maynard will launch an online video campaign with the nonprofit Compassion & Choices, an end-of-life choice advocacy organization, to fight for expanding death-with-dignity laws nationwide. And on Nov. 1, Maynard, who in April was given six months to live, intends to end her own life with medication prescribed to her by her doctor – and she wants to make it clear it is NOT suicide. "There is not a cell in my body that is suicidal or that wants to die," she tells PEOPLE in an exclusive interview. "I want to live. I wish there was a cure for my disease but there's not." Maynard has a stage 4 glioblastoma, a malignant brain tumor. "My glioblastoma is going to kill me, and that's out of my control," she says. "I've discussed with many experts how I would die from it, and it's a terrible, terrible way to die. Being able to choose to go with dignity is less terrifying." The campaign's six-minute video includes interviews with Brittany as well as her mother, Debbie Ziegler, and husband, Dan Diaz, 42. "My entire family has gone through a cycle of devastation," she says. "I'm an only child – this is going to make tears come to my eyes. For my mother, it's really difficult, and for my husband as well, but they've all supported me because they've stood in hospital rooms and heard what would happen to me."

source

Such a sad story. I feel like this is a good thing for this woman and her family. I don't get why people are forced to live through days/weeks/months in agony when their passing could be much more pleasant. Not only will this young woman be able to come to an end in a dignified manner, but her family will be able to find closure and say their goodbyes without having to see her live through a painful hell. I know some people out there are going to find issue with this but I find it empowering. I used the title because this story made me think of futurama's suicide booths. Personal choice IMO.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
She is dead already. She has lost the will to live. She thinks she's going to die and there's no hope. Hope can be cure for almost any ailment but no hope at all almost certainly leads to death. The tumor didn't and wouldn't kill her, it's the lack of will that's the murderous culprit.
edit on 7-10-2014 by MGaddafi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MGaddafi

It's a very scary, painful, and agonizing situation to be faced with. I say we cannot judge another person's determination until we're in their shoes; and by that time, we'd be making our own decision anyway soo..

Don't judge, don't belittle a person's pain, and don't deny them the freedom to ease it.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

She should have looked into cryogenic freezing...Its a better way then that...she dumb.

Let me rephrase.

Dumb for not looking at other choices and last time i checked...It is suicide...
edit on 7-10-2014 by Thisbseth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: MGaddafi
She is dead already. She has lost the will to live. She thinks she's going to die and there's no hope. Hope can be cure for almost any ailment but no hope at all almost certainly leads to death. The tumor didn't and wouldn't kill her, it's the lack of will that's the murderous culprit.

Yeah, because tumors don't kill people...

All those doctors are wrong.

It's definitely her fault she is terminally ill

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Thisbseth

So... what your saying is she should have chosen a suicide she probably cannot afford?

I get what your saying but this lady is terminally ill and is just making the choice not to die in a terrible way. Would you like your loved ones to see you suffer in such a terrible way? Or would you rather have them say their goodbyes and see you off in a more peaceful manner?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Well, she is on PEOPLE magazine, Im sure she could have donations to get herself frozen. Even then, if a loved one was in that much pain I would just get them the best drugs to dope them up while they pass NATURALLY. Not give in to their depressed weakness of ending their life...Its just an excuse to me. I am a firm believer in Everything Happens For A Reason. How does she know it could miraculously go away. Maybe she should read this about the SAME EXACT thing she is suffering from....

Heather Knies was given a death sentence at the age of 24. She battled not one, but two brain tumors -- one of them a grade 4 glioblastoma

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I don't honestly know if I'd have the guts if it were me or a loved one.

Does it take more courage to live, or more courage to die?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Only a selfish person would put a loved one through pain and suffering instead of letting them choose to end it in their own way.
Seems like torture to me. ....No you don't get to make that decision I want you to lay here and be miserable so I can come by and see you when I want.
SELFISH AND WRONG

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thisbseth

Well, she is on PEOPLE magazine, Im sure she could have donations to get herself frozen. Even then, if a loved one was in that much pain I would just get them the best drugs to dope them up while they pass NATURALLY. Not give in to their depressed weakness of ending their life...Its just an excuse to me. I am a firm believer in Everything Happens For A Reason. How does she know it could miraculously go away. Maybe she should read this about the SAME EXACT thing she is suffering from....

Heather Knies was given a death sentence at the age of 24. She battled not one, but two brain tumors -- one of them a grade 4 glioblastoma

I believe she is on people magazine because the group she is being represented by is paying for it.

Some people survive being shot in the head too, but I wouldn't put money on it in a bet.

Some are lucky, but most aren't.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I believe the fear of death would win in most situations.

Pointlessly hoping that god will cure them, never realizing god gave them the cancer.

(post by bobs_uruncle removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thisbseth

She should have looked into cryogenic freezing...Its a better way then that...she dumb.

Let me rephrase.

Dumb for not looking at other choices and last time i checked...It is suicide...

Do you realize that is very expensive and an ongoing cost forever.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

It's unfortunate that anyone has to even arrive at this decision in the first place. Anybody fighting debilitating, terminal illness is courageous, by default, in my eyes.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MGaddafi

The tumor didn't and wouldn't kill her, it's the lack of will that's the murderous culprit.

Sorry I can't quite figure what you are talking about. have you not seen people who fought and had hope and wanted to live until the end, they still died in miserable pain that no drug could quench.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Not give in to their depressed weakness of ending their life...Its just an excuse to me.

Clearly you have never seen anyone pass from cancer!

I know a woman who was so religious she thought she would burn in hell if she committed suicide....SHE still BEGGED to die, asked her children to PLEASE put her out of pain...no drug touches this pain!!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I can answer that, it takes incredible courage to end your life, the instincts all say no.

No person would want any person to let their Dog cat horse to suffer for a month or more in intolerable pain they say it is HUMAIN
to put them to sleep, yet they think a loved one should suffer!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Not give in to their depressed weakness of ending their life...Its just an excuse to me.

Clearly you have never seen anyone pass from cancer!

I know a woman who was so religious she thought she would burn in hell if she committed suicide....SHE still BEGGED to die, asked her children to PLEASE put her out of pain...no drug touches this pain!!

It's definitely not fun. My battle with C was all-told about 2-1/2 - 3 years. Some have fought for a decade and still lost. How long can someone deal with persistent pain and suffering? (physical, mental, emotional) ..There are limits, and even the most unfazable, strong-willed people have breaking points when the hammer falls.

edit on 7-10-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare

I believe the fear of death would win in most situations.

Pointlessly hoping that god will cure them, never realizing god gave them the cancer.

Life gives you cancer.

God just offers the tools to accept it or not.

(my Christian upbringings. . . . . . )

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

I'm selfish, though.

I'm weak, faulty, and have a host of insecurities.

I'd miss my bride.

Knowing it is wrong, but conflicting with emotions that drives another aspect, causes me to even ask.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join