It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so what is the deal with bacon the past few years

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This is a picture of me when I lift my toast and find a surprise piece of bacon that I have missed.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

is that my man ruprecht?
dirty rotten scoundrels?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: Char-Lee

Is this the same as the porcine epidemic diarrhea virus that's been going around?

Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PED)

Yes, I can picture unscrupulous money grubbing Corps. getting pre done pig meat from China treated so virus can't supposedly live in it...we have no protections anymore.

Is it as disgusting as it sounds?

Yes. PEDv is a coronavirus that causes vomiting and severe diarrhea in pigs. Most adult pigs can survive the virus, but PEDv kills 80-to-100 percent of all piglets who fall ill. The virus is spread orally and through feces, and is highly contagious. Reuters reports that one tablespoon of manure infected with PEDv could infect the entire U.S. hog herd, or about 66 million pigs.

How did it get to the U.S.?

It's not clear how this bout of PEDv was introduced to the States, but some suspect that pig feed, which often contains dehydrated pig's blood, could be at fault. Some experts hypothesize that this strain comes from China,

www.thewire.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Just look at everything that is being posted in this thread. Easy to see the problem.

Bacon has always been cool.
Being a hipster, and trying to "Make" everything cool, is the trend now.
So hipsters are the problem.
They need to stay the hell away from bacon. Us old people don't do trends. Hence why bacon has always been cool.

There have been long periods when people did not want bacon hardly at all especially when they started telling everyone it was so bad for them...so no it has not always been cool still isn't cool to kill animals that are very intelligent and keep them in misery until death imo.

BTW it is still bad for you not that many care as long as some corporate study tells what people want to here.

You probably won't be surprised to learn that 68% of bacon's calories come from fat, almost half of which is saturated. Each ounce of bacon contributes 30 milligrams of cholesterol (not to mention the cholesterol from the eggs that often accompany bacon.
The American Heart Association recommends limiting saturated fat to less than 7% of your total calories (that’s less than 16 daily grams of saturated fat for someone eating 2,000 calories a day).

But here's the bad news: When it comes to increasing the risk for certain cancers, things get downright scary for bacon lovers. Not only is bacon considered a red meat, it’s also a member of the dreaded "processed meat" group (even turkey bacon falls into this category. And NO amount of processed meat is considered safe to eat, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research.

www.webmd.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoldierCarryingHashbrowns
Because it's just f#king good food!

I wonder if there is anyway to test how vulnerable some people are to suggestion compared to others. It seems like when a trend with add campaign is carried out by big Corporations, there is a large group that start parroting anything they say and then there are those unaffected...

Not saying you are one of those, would be an interesting test.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

This is a picture of me when I lift my toast and find a surprise piece of bacon that I have missed.

Ahh Beez now I know what happened to that greasy bunny!

This part is good don't reproduce them :-)

Bad news: Bacon could be linked to a lower sperm count.

Bad news: Bacon, and other processed meats, may be associated with other unhealthy lifestyle choices.
A study published in the journal BMC that analyzed 448,568 men and women between the ages of 25 and 69 from different countries found out that those who ate more processed meat were linked to premature death due to cardiovascular disease or certain types of cancer. The researchers argued that this was because those people were also more likely to indulge in bad lifestyle choices, like smoking, drinking alcohol in excess and not eating fruits or vegetables.

America has an undeniable love affair with bacon. On average, Americans each eat about 18 pounds of bacon a year. And considering the number of people who don't eat pork or any meat at all, some of them are scarfing down a disproportionate number of the approximately 5,760,000,000 pounds of pig strips consumed across the country each year.

Bad news: Factory-farmed pigs are more likely to get you sick than free-range ones.
Factory-farmed animals usually live in concrete cells with no outside interaction. Nutritionist Sara Bilbe says, "Pigs are fairly intelligent animals and this lack of stimulation in these cells leads to high stress levels and therefore high illness." The Week reports that MRSA, a bacteria that has a strong resistance to antibiotics, has been found on factory pig farms in Canada, which sells millions of live pigs to the US

edit on 6-10-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Supreme Court Rules Americans Can Eat Sick Pigs, Cows
www.forbes.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I remember seeing this posted on FB a while back, So scoured my feed for it and finally found it.
Knew it would be perfect for this thread, lol.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Bacon has always been good and generally can be used to help enhance the flavor of many savory dishes.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
No, no, it's not a fad, it has never stooped that low for attention. Bacon surely must be the famed Ambrosia of the Gods, the dork hipsters just caught on really late in it's existence. That's all. But with a food as wondrous as bacon, it should come as no surprise that it's popular. Like with a smooth cup of good coffee, you either love it, or you need hunted down.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

You have a heart, it shows

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

bacon isn't hip. its delicious. its like the only dessert meat.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

thin sliced bacon is the devil.

If you can find your own pork bellies, you can make your own uncured bacon. Slice it as thick as you want, too.

and if you are too lazy to smoke it, fried pork belly is heavenly, too.

I would fist fight a team of highly trained, ninja polar bears for some bacon.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Bacon is awesome!

I found a local butcher that sells raw pork bellies, frozen, and got 4 lbs for 14 USD. Cured it for two weeks, then smoked it with apple for 8 hours. I figured out that you can thick slice a slab, and smoke the individual pieces for even more smoke flavour.

MMM, MMM, good.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
What you observe is this weird sort of herd mentality.

I notice the most recent trend is using this world 'selfie' (for self photos & such) with the introduction of a new TV show by that name.

People find comfort in each other by doing/saying similar things and following a trend, feeling camaraderie.

I am not sure what triggers these trends. They usually come from 'up above'.

I suspect some use this phenomenon to accomplish other agendas.
edit on 6-10-2014 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

JAK

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I'm pretty sure it's the number one reason vegetarians give in over here.

If I remember correctly I did read something a few years back in which most vegetarians answering a question about temptation replied commenting on the smell of bacon.

originally posted by: Nyiah
No, no, it's not a fad...

I also remember it was a good three or more years back when I was in conversation with an ATS friend from over there, across the pond. We were taking about cultural differences and noted nuances when, continuing in the light, gently ribbing, jocular air which the conversation had taken, I flippantly asked "... and what's the deal with Bacon over there?"

In what was up until that point a most free-flowing conversation there was a notable pause during which time I swear the air around me grow a little colder.

Then, with a unblinking gaze I could sense, somehow, and recollections of the phrase 'Pick up the gun', he answered with a question, an unmistakable challenge dry and loaded with threat: "What you got against Bacon, boy?"

The air, so vibrant and playful before, was now dead. The question just hung there between us. All was silent save somewhere in the distance an old, suspended sign playing back and forth in the wind. Squeaking, squealing. Mocking.

It was too, too much. My nerves were shot. Cautiously, carefully I backed down and changed the subject.

I never broached the topic again. He's still hereabouts and we still speak, occasionally. It was never the same after that though. And for me? Well, now, should I find myself in the company of others, surrounded by brawny banter and morning fry-ups I'll get myself in quiet table the corner.

And breakfast alone.

On quiche.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Who knows why products become trendy, I remember when a packet of Bacon cost 69p(about 8-10 years ago), now it seems they want around £2.50-3.00 for the same packet. Inflation and rise of the cost of living are also factors to consider however the increase in price seems rather exuberant.
edit on 7-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroReady
Blame hipsters. They take things that are otherwise boring or uncool and make them ironically hip. This will be happening more and more as time goes on. It's just a fad that will go away soon.
Damn Hipsters.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Bit off topic but i highly recommend slicing along a Chicken breast, filling it with some Philadelphia cheese and then wrapping the breast in a few slices of Bacon. Pop in the oven for around 25-35 minutes and serve with some baby potatoes and boiled or steamed salty green cabbage.

Its da bomb!

edit on 7-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee
Well, since I get my bacon, whole pig actually, from a local farmer, I don't worry. I know how they are raised.

And our family never believed the BS when the government was saying it was bad. Same with eggs.

So, for us, yeah, it has always been cool, no matter what the public believed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join