It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African immigrants worry about backlash from U.S. Ebola case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

In Dallas and other cities home to large populations of African immigrants, worries are abounding among many that their standing in the United States has been tainted by one Liberian man infected with Ebola being treated in Texas.

I know you're all tired of ebola threads, but I've been wondering if the fear and hysteria surrounding the issue might actually be worse than the disease itself. I just found this article and wanted to see what others think. With race relations already so strained in this country this is the last thing we need.

"Some people around here see us as bringing the disease and that's just not right," said a Liberian who asked to be called Sekou, fearful that he and other West African immigrants are going to face bias in their U.S. home because of the sick man.

Many immigrants in Texas are also quick to offer to the United States and its people for taking them in, but say handshakes are fewer and curious glances more frequent after the Ebola discovery in Dallas.

Somali immigrants wearing traditional clothing that includes headscarves for women, have seen fingers pointed their way on the neighborhood streets.

In downtown Dallas, near where tourists gather at the site of President John F. Kennedy's assassination, an Ethiopian parking lot attendant who gave his name only as Ayob said a few people have started to see him as an object of suspicion.

"Some guy told me 'go get yourself quarantined'," he said.

It's not just race relations, the hysteria around ebola can be very disruptive, as we've seen, to airplane flights...nurses and health care workers are nervous. One or two more confirmed cases with possible exposure and people may start getting a little nutty no?

As much as I'm concerned about the disease itself, the paranoia and fear it may engender could be just as dangerous. Remember what happened after 9/11? This could be worse because people actually fear for their own lives and are not simply seeking revenge.

Just wondering what you all think. Is it all part of the "plan" or a fringe benefit?

in.reuters.com...
edit on 4-10-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Part of the plan. One of the reasons why they won't close off the infected countries or refuse travelers from those areas will be "racism".

It's racist. Unfair. We should offer solace and safety to these poor refugees. Medical care, only the best aid the humanitarian community can muster up, etc, etc, etc,....

Meaning it could spread easier, faster. Inflict more damage, more excuses to restrict freedoms.

Divide and conquer. Mention racism and the fires burn on both sides for days. S + F, I expected this.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maluhia
As much as I'm concerned about the disease itself, the paranoia and fear it may engender could be just as dangerous.

The paranoia and fear are more dangerous imo.

I was wondering when the race card would get legs..Another well played hand by the "douche bags that be."

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Thanks for your input, I'm not one who buys into the "plan", although I also don't doubt it's possible. The fact that we have become so dumbed down and easy to manipulate (by design or by accident) quite frankly, is more scary than this ugly disease.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Maluhia

Personally being dumbed down, manipulated, forced to exist in the system and abide by oppression is part of the plan. It's terrible imo.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

The paranoia and fear are more dangerous imo.

IMO also. Sprinkle in general incompetence with spoonfuls of inability or lack of initiative to self-educate and the recipe for disaster is ready for a four star restaurant!

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Some people will use any excuse to be cruel to others.

But there is a difference between hysteria and realizing this disease is coming from very specific places.

Taking steps to check all people coming from certain countries IS NOT racism or hateful.

It's dangerous not to take reasonable steps because you don't want people to label you a racists.

edit on October 5th 2014 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Immigration spreads disease. This is not a novel problem. Allegations of racism should not mitigate these very real dangers.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2

Some people will use any excuse to be cruel to others.

That's part of the concern. Will ebola become one of those excuses?

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Part of the plan. One of the reasons why they won't close off the infected countries or refuse travelers from those areas will be "racism".

It's racist. Unfair. We should offer solace and safety to these poor refugees. Medical care, only the best aid the humanitarian community can muster up, etc, etc, etc,....

Meaning it could spread easier, faster. Inflict more damage, more excuses to restrict freedoms.

Divide and conquer. Mention racism and the fires burn on both sides for days. S + F, I expected this.

We should be very careful of the enemies we make now. Think very cafefully about what is playing out in real time.

Africa. Supposedly the birth place of all mankind is the first place hit with a deadly outbreak. Many people die, but more live and in the end will be the only safe place on this planet, for about 10 years anyway.

Now fast forward, how likely are they to open their borders to a bunch of possibly infected strangers that threw their family and loved ones under the bus and or let them die, showing them no compassion.

This world is a magical and unpredictable place.

We should be very careful about what bridges we decide to burn.

edit on 5-10-2014 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Mobiles hate posting to forums. Maybe it is a conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'll bet This type of thing does'nt exactly help matter much either:
www.abovetopsecret.com... reply to: Maluhia

edit on 5-10-2014 by Raxoxane because: typo

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Lighter fluid for sure.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I think African immigrants have good reason to worry. It's the same with Middle Eastern immigrants. They both have reason to worry. African immigrants will be accused of having Ebola the same way that Middle Eastern immigrants are accused of being terrorists. It isn't fair to say that.

But on a different note, and at risk of being called a racist, for our safety, I do think we need to cut off transportation to the African countries, in or out. It seems that the majority of cases include someone from the African countries going somewhere else and infecting people there. I don't think it's racist to try to keep your people safe. If you think it is, that's fine, but I really could not give less of a care, lol.

Everyone wants immigration reform. Could this be it? Make people of other nationalities fearful to come here, so they stay in their own countries?

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

there are citizens of this country that need medical care as well.
they need to be taken care of first...imo

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

I know I was being sarcastic.

Meanwhile millions of Americans are jobless, no homes but supposedly we still have more than enough to take care of everybody else's children.

I know a preschool/kindergarten or whatever ESL student who literally brags how they're the future of America, are the best students, are a pleasure to teach, blah, blah, blah.

I say her hair's brown because she spends a lot of time with her head firmly placed up a certain orifice.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I know I was being sarcastic.

i thought you were.
sometimes it is hard to tell

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I understand I'm an enigma

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
LOL people in Texas were pointing at Africans before Ebola, particularly if they were Islamic.

We should get a sane immigration system and import people from stable places with useful skill... Like everyone else.

It was a great philosophy we had to open our doors to the world when we had a nation to fill, today it's just stupid, it's like pouring a cold glass of milk to go with a delicious breakfast, it's the best when you start pouring it but ifyou don't stop it overflows into your eggs and ruins everything.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
i know people are crying racism but i dont see it at all
fact is, ebola is on the run in africa. fact is it was brought here from africa
logic tells me that people in africa that want to come here should go through some sort of quarrantine process first...
i say lock it down. been saying that since the start

top topics

join