It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikorsky Roll Out is Tomorrow (2 OCT 2014)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
raider.sikorsky.com...

Picture

The Sikorsky Raider will roll out tomorrow. They've rolled out the mockup before, but this will be the actual prototype. First flight is still on schedule for this year.
Using a co-axial rotor coupled with a shaft driven prop at the rear, it should have good hot-high capability coupled with excellent cruise speed and agility for the armed scout role. And she's a beaut

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

SWEET! Now who can get to FL in time to get some killer pics?

By far the best looking helo to come out in a long time. Can't wait to see it in flight.

edit on 1-10-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I don't know, but one of you east coasters should try to make an appearance.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Here's a vid showing some of the tech and applications involved in the X2 program.

Kind of an old vid. The X2 demonstrator has already flown and set an unofficial speed record for helicopters.
edit on 1-10-2014 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
so cool..I dig the x2 stuff. it's gonna go fast...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I hope their new bird gets off the ground and is a proven winner !
Russian Helicopters - Ka-52 Alligator Attack Helicopter is flying and the propaganda looks good.

youtu.be...
Lockheed AH-56A Cheyenne Weapon Systems (1967-1972) Looked good too but their were problems so it was killed.

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
There were some technical difficulties with the Cheyenne, to be sure. Alot of that came from trying to gold plate the requirements late. Cost goes up, new technical problems arise with new systems.

I think the Cheyenne hit some major political difficulties because of the role. Dive-bombs, armed, has wings and is performing the close air support mission -- the USAF threw fits because of the Key West Agreement. Couple that with losing three airframes in accidents, rising costs, and technical difficulties, the program got axed. As a bone, the Army got the A-X program funded (A-9,A-10 comp), but they killed the Cheyenne.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

And I don't get to work on it...

If they switched out blackhawks for these I'd re-enlist.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I saw a Cheyenne at a museum at Ft. Campbell, Ky. a few years ago. The thing that was amazing was it's size. The thing is huge about twice the size of a Cobra.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I live in the town next to Sikorsky Aircraft , they do test fights every day over my house. But a friend of mine said it will be built in their Pennsylvania plant.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Any idea where in PA that's located? I'd love to go and snap some photos if it's a drivable distance from me.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
News article about the roll out with some nice pics of the real deal:

defensetech.org...

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Tadaa!

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Not that my opinion matters but ... Ewwww am I the only one who doesn't like the design. I kinda like the twin rotors but I think it just looks a little silly with that prop attached to the end. Ew just ew

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: _Del_

Tadaa!

It's a far cry from the TH55s that I learned to fly on in the early 1970's.

new topics

top topics

join