It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Ban on Firearms coming soon?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well, many of you did try to warn me over the years. I don't own a firearm, but I respect the wishes of those who do. I totally agree with the Australian Governments clamp down on firearms many years ago, but now there is a push to take it one step further and ban them in general.

Here in the state of South Australia a Supreme Court Judge is calling for a Total Ban on firearms excluding farmers and clubs.

He believes removing them from the community would prevent a significant number of domestic shootings.

“My view is I think our guns laws are pretty tight, they are not too bad. But my view on guns is not confined to that,’’ he said.

“In my view, and it is a fairly utopian view, I can’t see why anyone in this city should own a gun. I think a gun with a licence is just as dangerous as a gun without a licence.

“I think there should be a law that no-one is allowed to have a gun. I cannot see any logical reason for it at all.’’

Even worse is he has backup, in the form of our Attorney-General!

Attorney-General John Rau, who will shortly introduce new legislation targeting those selling or supplying illegal firearms, also said he “totally agreed’’ with Justice David’s utopian view.

“If we were starting from scratch, nothing would be more desirable from my point of view,’’ he said.

“We have to, however, work to where we are, not where we might wish to be.

“However, I do think there is further room to tighten the Firearms Act, in particular to treat an unsecured firearm, whether registered or not, with exactly the same severity.

There are currently about 309,000 registered firearms in SA and 65,400 licences issued to 55,000 licensees.

www.adelaidenow.com.au...
This is how it starts people. Guys in power like this testing the water in a small population before the Federal Government implements the new laws nation wide is my bet. You're next America

edit on 26-9-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

This is in Australia right?

How do they expect anyone to survive in the bush without a gun, not everyone is Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin.
edit on 9/26/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

This is in Australia right?

How do they expect anyone to survive in the bush without a gun, not everyone is Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin.

Farmers and gun club members will be excluded from the bill so he says.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well, we will just have to push back.

These guys are living in lalala land.

When they can get all of the illegal weapons off the street then they can come up with this crap.

The problem for them is that this will never happen. There are very few incidents of firearms in play in domestic situations and even so, banning the weapon does not, in any way, address the underlying issue.

Ban all firearms and people will still act violently, but with knives or axes.

Take those away and people will use sledge hammers.

Eventually we get down down to the ole 2x4. So let's ban timber.

These guys are fruit loops.

P

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Exactly, their reasoning is to stop domestic violence related shootings, but obviously those cases would be replaced with a knife or something else.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

Exactly, their reasoning is to stop domestic violence related shootings, but obviously those cases would be replaced with a knife or something else.

One also has to ask, if the previous buy back was so damn successful, why have the Police continued to go tactical. Why the new Semi auto weapons.

All we will see is no firearms for us and draconian upgrades for the Police.

Always the same, target the weapon forget about the underlying issues.

It is not the weapon!

P

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I'm not sure about other states but here you can have semi auto rifles with 10 round clip. Members of registered historical reenactment clubs can have "blank fire only" belt fed mg's and sub machine guns under a class D licence but you have to be squeeky clean. No more paintball too as that is a class A licence I think.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

He says "My View" 3 times in as many sentences.

Someone looking for a throne?

Peace

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
And I bet him and the like are protected by armed guards.

The fear isn't the gun, it's the people using them to secure liberty. That scares them, a loss of control.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

He says "My View" 3 times in as many sentences.

Someone looking for a throne?

Peace

Click on the link and look at his majesties photo.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

Not to worry. Soon they will realize that farmers and club members can also commit domestic violence, so they will lose their guns, too. But it won't be a total ban. It will somehow escape their notice that law enforcement and security personnel can commit domestic violence, so they will keep theirs.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Speaking as a Canadian...

I've used firearms all my life, and when you work on a farm, hunt your own game, or even unload on a row of bottles out behind the barn, guns have a purpose like any other tool. You will be just as dead if I attack you with a knife as you would be if I put a bullet in you. Living so close to the Americans though, and having lived in their country for several years, even being a pro gun type of guy, I disagree with their most basic argument.

One short little amendment to their constitution:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This has caused that country more lives and grief than any other part of the document. They seem to run around shooting each other at an incredible rate, far more on a per capita basis than Canada, and probably much more than Australians. (I'll plead the fifth on my knowledge of Australian gun crimes).

There has to be a balance in here somewhere. Canadians are allowed to own guns, and we can get a permit to carry, but we don't seem to have the same problems as the Americans. I don't think Australia has the dire stats as the US either. Responsible people should be able to have a gun, a hammer, screw driver, and a knife.

Somehow the responsible part has slipped past the Americans, and I don't why. It's not the case in Australia as far as I know, and definitely not the case in Canada.

Is this a done deal for you guys, or do you still have the opportunity to strike down the draconian laws that will take all the guns away?

edit on 26/9/2014 by anxietydisorder because: Missed a couple letters because I type to fast.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: anxietydisorder

It's not written up in a bill of law yet but the Supreme Court judge and Attorney General have a lot of influence. So it may be defeated, but by the look of things it will become a test ground for total ban.

Most of the recent gun crime in Australia is by Outlaw Motorcycle gangs and other forms of organised crime.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I think gun bans and confiscation have been in the works for a long time. I'm not sure how it would play out in AUS/CAN but i'm fairly certain there will be a lot of blood if there is an attempt to seriously enact this type of thing in the states. But hey, they've already trampled all over fundamental rights and freedoms why not take the guns too?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: anxietydisorder

I disagree with their most basic argument.

I can accept but not agree.

Looking at the entire Western World and the way it is heading, even the new Draconian spy laws passed in Australia in the name of security, there will come a time when "Papers Please," is a daily occurrence.

We have been heading there for some time.

When all is said and done, there will be only one place where a resurgent of freedom can start from.

The US of A. Mark my words, it will be the last bastion of freedom.

Australia follows the UK model and that model is based on the principal that the serfs may not be armed.

Welcome to the coming serfdom.

P

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Excellent. I hope the bill is passed soon.

They should ban gun clubs too. Then there won't be any more gun instructors getting cut to ribbons by infants with Uzis.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxietydisorder
Speaking as a Canadian...

I've used firearms all my life, and when you work on a farm, hunt your own game, or even unload on a row of bottles out behind the barn, guns have a purpose like any other tool. You will be just as dead if I attack you with a knife as you would be if I put a bullet in you. Living so close to the Americans though, and having lived in their country for several years, even being a pro gun type of guy, I disagree with their most basic argument.

One short little amendment to their constitution:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This has caused that country more lives and grief than any other part of the document. They seem to run around shooting each other at an incredible rate, far more on a per capita basis than Canada, and probably much more than Australians. (I'll plead the fifth on my knowledge of Australian gun crimes).

There has to be a balance in here somewhere. Canadians are allowed to own guns, and we can get a permit to carry, but we don't seem to have the same problems as the Americans. I don't think Australia has the dire stats as the US either. Responsible people should be able to have a gun, a hammer, screw driver, and a knife.

Somehow the responsible part has slipped past the Americans, and I don't why. It's not the case in Australia as far as I know, and definitely not the case in Canada.

Is this a done deal for you guys, or do you still have the opportunity to strike down the draconian laws that will take all the guns away?

You make good points and I'd like to address them.

I can understand why you might disagree with the Second Amendment. I like to think I know more than average about early American history. For me it is very clear why the Second Amendment is there, right after Freedom of Speech. I confess that I'm very ignorant of Canadian history, so I don't know what would have been a priority for the new Canadian government. I think it's a safe bet that you know far more about American history than I know about Canadian history.

But you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned responsibility. The problem isn't the guns, it's the irresponsible people. Someone that uses a gun irresponsibly probably does other things irresponsibly, too. Murderers, robbers, rapists, gang-bangers, and the mentally deranged aren't generally responsible people. Unfortunately, you can only legislate responsibity so much, because irresponsible people don't always follow the law.

But you can teach responsibility. So the real problem is that our children are not being taught responsibility. Why is that?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18465427]weirdguy

Most of the recent gun crime in Australia is by Outlaw Motorcycle gangs and other forms of organised crime.

Mandatory 10 year sentence for the illegal possession or misuse of a firearm might make some of them think twice. I wish we had that in Canada. You can rob a store while brandishing a firearm and they only get a couple years on average.

en.wikibooks.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18465454]pheonix358

there will come a time when "Papers Please," is a daily occurrence.

We have been heading there for some time.

When all is said and done, there will be only one place where a resurgent of freedom can start from.

The US of A. Mark my words, it will be the last bastion of freedom.

No, if it comes down to that you'll be running north to establish a beach head in Canada. Freedom fighters will need an established line to mount a proper defense against a government run amok.

I can't imagine a scenario like that in my lifetime, but if the day comes, Canada is a vast land with unlimited natural resources to support a resistance movement. We're really sorry about that whole 1812 thing where we kicked your ass, but we got your back now if thing go bad.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
Excellent. I hope the bill is passed soon.

They should ban gun clubs too. Then there won't be any more gun instructors getting cut to ribbons by infants with Uzis.

Bwaahaha, you amuse me with your ignorance on the issue.

Please don't post anymore my side are killing me from laughing......

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join