It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longest word.......uhh!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hi ATS, I am unsure if this is the place to post this but Mods please move it if needed.

I was helping my daughter with her homework and she stumbled accross some 12-15 letter word and had a hard time reading it! She said Why is this word so long, it's probably a record or something?! I replied No there are longer ones I just dont know/use them...Well being the curious person that I am, I googled it!!!!! and I found this:

I cannot post it here because of the size of it but you can a peak at it here

WTF is this word that takes 3.5 hrs to read, contains 189 819 letters?.....well apparently it is the chemical name for Titan, the LARGEST protein in the human body!

If it takes 3.5 hours to read it, how the hell long did it take to come up with it?!? the inventor obviously spent most of his life on this project

I copied and pasted into Word and it gave me a 16 page document!!!

Talk about the K.I.S.S. principle right!?!

More details Here

NOW! Who wants to try to read it, I have and it didn't go too well!!!

edit on 26-9-2014 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Whomwever invented this word just has absolutely too much time on his/ her hands.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
A longer word would be "infinity" but it doesn't take months to come up with.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Teye22

No Habla Jibber Jabber.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Thats my point

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
And that's why we have acronyms...

Peace

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Yup but in this case
Even the accronym would be long
i'm'a just call this titan as it should be
Lol
a reply to: jude11

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Chuck Norris can say it in one breath.

Just sayin'

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Just sayin'

Of course he can!
He's a ninja!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It looks for a word for a chemical, created by listing all the chemical ingredients.
I always understood the longest word to be "antidisestablishmentarianism" (a movement hostile to disestablishment), though claims have been made for "floccipaucinihilipilification" (reckoning something to be valueless).

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I said that word once...

But, I was drunk.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The whatiwhatens?!?!

I can not even try to even begin to even hope to be able to read this word, I know its redundant but so are the syllables in this word

I really have no intention of watching a video of some dude reading a word for hours on end!

Just like WhyamIhere said....I might give it a try later if I am un-sober enough! If I manage I will definitely try to record myself!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Just sayin'

Charles Bronson would shoot Chuck before he could utter the first um...48 syllables.

Peace

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
And here I thought that: Supercalifragilisticexbealidocious -was the biggest word.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje
Now you're being precocious.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The longest Place Name is this...

Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu

Which is Maori and translates to - "The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one"

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Oh wait its a word...

______

I see, not many borderlands 2 players around here

edit on 26-9-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Reminds me of the Welsh town Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch. The name was extended to lure tourists so I don't think it counts.

OP: And I always thought the longest word was Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, a lung ailment caused by inhaling silica dust (volcanic dust).

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I study chemistry, so I completely understand why the word is so long. You can't just shorten it, that is why they have nicknames. Proteins are really, really long chains, so it has long name. Its also called Titin.

Finnish is really full of these monster words, but its hard to find longest words, as some words don't exist in reality, they are just crazy words the writers have invented, as its possible in finnish language to smash words together.

This word actually exists:
Lento­kone­suihku­turbiini­moottori­apu­mekaanikko­ali­upseeri­oppilas. (61 characters)
Means: "aeroplane jet turbine motor assistant mechanic, non-commissioned officer, in training"

Then there is this monster word, invented by writer Artturi Kannisto:
"kumarreksituteskenteleentuvaisehkollaismaisekkuudellisenneskenteluttelemattomammuuksissansakaankopahan" (102 characters) (Sadly this doesn't mean anything, I can't even pronounce it)

The official longest word in Finnish according to Guiness Book of Records:
"epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkäänköhän" (49 characters)
"I wonder if – even with his/her quality of not having been made unsystematized"

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What the hell is the point of such a long word!? Humans can be weirdos sometimes

top topics

<<   2 >>

join