It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Circumcision An Ancient Islamic Ritual?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Help spreed awareness and stop this awfull act.
news.scotsman.com...

Edited to make sure the one-line posting problem would not affect this thread. This is a very serious problem with female babies and even up to the age of five years. Please follow link to read story and then do whatever you can to help stop the mutilation.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by krt1967]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Although women generally perform the procedure, sometimes called female circumcision, men are ultimately responsible because �untrimmed� young women �face great difficulties in African societies in finding a husband,� Dirie said.

I don't think its necessarily an islamic thing, rather its a pre-islamic tradition amoung the people in the sudan/east africa, many of whom are muslim.

THe intersting thing about circumcision is that some have theorized that male circumcision started to 'replicate' the femal loose of the hymen, mentstruation, and effects of giving birth, and then, comming full circle, women were 'circumcised' to 'replicate' the men.

Of course, calling this thing circumscision is wildly inaccurate. Its the equivalent of peeling away the scrotum and hacking the penis into a stub. Often these women are then stitched back together to seal things up, leaving only a small menstrual opening too. its definitely genital mutilation. There are also groups that practice male genital mutilation, like subincision.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
That is jusy awfull. The story did say it was an Islamic Ritual. It would'nt matter what religion, still very sad to me. And your reply was just as sad. It's hard for me to believe anyone could be so heartless...nothing for pain even. Gracious.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by krt1967
That is jusy awfull. The story did say it was an Islamic Ritual. It would'nt matter what religion, still very sad to me. And your reply was just as sad.

So now you are saying that I am wrong for calling it a sick repugnant thing that shouldn't be done? And for pointing out that there are similar sick repugnant things done?

I didn't express support for this disgusting and horrendous ritual. What the heck was so 'sad' about my response? Besides, if its a discussion on female genital mutilation that you want, there -is- already a thread or two about it in the forums.

Anyway, like I was saying, this is somethign practiced in a particular part of the world (outside of the effects of global immigration) and isn't something that is practiced throughout the islamic world. I have no doubt that when these african muslims do it that they make it into a islamic ritual. Sort of like how christians get circumcised. Its not a 'christian' ritual just because christians do it, its originally a jewish ritual, and infact its practice is much more wide spread than that. I was merely contributing to the disucssion that this female genital mutilation has a similiar history.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It's open season on muslims. Anyone can see that in the US media. You have to demonize people, lower an entire group of people to dog status, so you can kill them without any saying anything.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Circumcision on male infants is a barbaric practice too.

Hopefully no-one condones that!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Hopefully no-one condones that!

Good pont. How come nobody complains about the Jews engaging in this doubtless barbaric practice? It's outright mutilation that should be stopped at any cost.

In addition, the female genital mutilation is not specifically islamic tradition (do you homework) and is widespread in Africa at large.

So much fo the topic. Amen.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

I hardly hear anyone complaining about it now. Its not quite the same. Subincision, not thats the equivalent of female genital mutilation, or rather close to it. Removing the clitoral hood alone would be roughly analagous to male circumcision.

new topics

top topics

join