It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What led you to Conspiracy Land?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Just curious about your story..

Myself, I guess I was officially exposed relatively recently in 2008. A friend suggested that I check out Zeitgeist. I did. I found it interesting but far from mind blowing. Looking back, I think that it just subconsciously confirmed things that I already knew so I didnt pay to much attention to it. At that point I wouldnt have considered myself a CTr. It wasnt until sometime 2011 I think, that I was perusing the net about information on a certain rap music group, which included an artist called Esoteric. Somehow Google led me to to the documentary called Esoteric Agenda. Well, that was pretty much it for me. It really caught my attention; ten fold than that of Zeitgeist; and I wanted more info. I found it. At the end of E.A. there was a screen shot of references and links to other CT sites. I checked many of them, but the one that really reeled me in was info on Michael Tsarion. I was fascinated by his book about Ancient Alien visitation. While I understand that he draws some wild conclusions, he really made me realize that anything is possible.

So anyways, I was just wondering what led you guys/gals to conspiracy land. Cheers.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
An internet search years ago... I don't remember what I was looking for though.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

I was always interested in conspiracies since I was a very young child. At the library it was always books about Sasquatch, ETs, UFOs and Atlantis. As soon as my family installed the internet I started browsing the net and ATS was one of the sites that popped up. That was 14 years ago. Since then I've read this site several times daily (that's about 10 times a day, even when I was lurking) among others.

Besides this site, I would browse Art Bell's oldschool website with the ghost galleries and ufo pictures. I loved his Time Traveler line.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I don't know, but I read your title as whatled, and I love it. That must become a word. Maybe related to whittled? Whatled could be when you beat wood in order to synthesize the look of aged wood? Any better definitions?

Oh, when I was a kid, I haunted the library and I was always attracted to the UFO books. My grandfather was a bit of a nutcase telling me stories of adventures our ancestors supposedly had in America hunting down dinosaurs with Native American groups. I think he was a fan of Francis Bacon and mixed in a lot of Mormon mythology, although he never claimed to be. He could sure come up with some doozies. He said he saw bigfoot. He claimed Nessie was a prize the Scottish clans kept to show what great dragon slayers they all were, that they could tame one and let it live among them peacefully. According to him, there are still Pterodactyls on this planet living in some volcano in China that the governments of the world are hiding from all of us. I think he told such wild stories so he could sneak the truth in with the lies without getting into any trouble. Or he was just nuts. Or he read too much of those conspiracy newspapers they used to print.

I do thank him for my bibliophilia among a number of other philias he introduced me to. He was the only person I knew of that actually had a library and a current edition of encyclopedias. He even bought the inserts to keep them updated, so I guess I was kind of a conspiracy, alternative history, fantasy nut from the time I was a kid.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash
My grandfather was a bit of a nutcase
I do thank him for my bibliophilia among a number of other philias he introduced me to.

Thats just hilarious and awseome. THANK you for the response!

Cheers to Grandparents!!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I think tinfoil heads just look so damn sexy !

But seriously, curiosity about what`s really going on in the world.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Fate Magazine....

www.fatemag.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

I think tinfoil heads just look so damn sexy !

But seriously, curiosity about what`s really going on in the world.

So..humour me.

You googled Alternative news and came across ATS? How did your initiation come to pass?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Fate Magazine....

www.fatemag.com...

I want details!!

How did you stumble upon this website?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I have no idea anymore how I came to watch ATS, it was just one of many my sources I used to check about what is going on in the world for some time. I probably looked for something and found it on ATS.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I stumbled on the website looking for articles relating to Bigfoot, or cryptoids, cryptieds? (sp?) in general. I stayed for the (mostly) intelligent conversation, and the mods trying to keep it so.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
At first I was searching for answers to questions I had. It wasn't very long before I got those answers. The problem is that those answers weren't honest. I was looking for the truth. At the time I did not realize that "I don't know" was a perfectly acceptable and honest answer. It took a year or two but the conspiracy world I found on ATS has made me far more skeptical of conspiracy theories than a believer. Which brings me to my final transformation. I was a believer. I wanted to believe the answers I was being given simply because I wanted the world to meet the spectacular expectations of my own biases and imagination.

Since then I have found that the truth of things, while often mundane, is far more satisfying...and peaceful.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Because the average human does learn from their mistakes. But somehow our government isn't learning from theirs and we are talking years. The bulk of them are lawyers so they aren't stupid, then the questions becomes, what else is going on if you don't learn from your mistakes for decades maybe even centuries. Really looking seriously at the US not much has changed in the way of history. Ah yes, there are alternate forces at work and to what end? Money, power, control, families or business? Are there new powers of billionaires tugging pulling for control? When somethings are so blatantly common sense and our government goes counter to that, I ask why.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Coast to Coast with Art Bell made me aware of the site.

Then after spending some time lurking around I realized
that there were quite a few persnickity members here--guys
obsessed with detail who were actively vetting news stories,
checking facts, and verifying claims. To me this was much better
than taking the MSM at face value...so I decided to join up.

It really had nothing to do with conspiracies. I realized early on
in life that EVERYTHING is a conspiracy....it is just a matter of how
much it is, and how deep it goes...

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Back in about 2005 or 2006 a friend at work told me take a look at the sit to check out the UFO stuff. I lurked for a while then joined. Then I moved to a new place and forgot my password and stuff. So I rejoined under a new name because a lady I know saw a yowie (squatch) and I wanted to discuss this. Things have changed a bit since then.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: rival

I only got to listen to Art Bell once or twice back in the 90s.

I think my first real "Conspiracy" exposure was Jim Marrs' book Ruled By Secrecy.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Can't say I really entered into it for any conspiracies per se. I was interested in ufology. No longer am really. I barely ever post in the ufo forum. There's plenty of other topics that interest me, not all of them being conspiracies.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I saw Oliver Stone's JFK when I was 13 and it changed my life. Up until that day I could have been considered a card carrying, ultra patriotic young Republican.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

9-11 was the event that lead me out of my 'matrix' existence, and there are times I wished I had stayed there in blissful ignorance

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
What led me to conspiracies?

Ultimately, loneliness. Glad it happened, Now i'm an awaken sheep.

I do remember the first few days after I found this site. I felt like I was one of the few who had this resource of knowledge unbeknownst to the general population. After a year or so, you start recognizing a pattern in the way ATS works. And your reality becomes more than reality cuz you're imagining things that may or may not be happening.
edit on 26-9-2014 by thirdcoast because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join