It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Trash Ordinance Fine for Wasting Food

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

In Seattle a new trash ordinance is fining people for waste.

New rules would allow garbage collectors to inspect trash cans and ticket offending parties if food and compostable material makes up 10 percent or more of the trash.

What are we coming to in America?

People buy things – food – with their own money, use what they need of it, and if a particular person discovers that they have “wasted” too much, the person will be fined.

"Waste" is a matter of opinion. Even if they look, and there is 10% food trash in a bin - perhaps a person forgot to eat something and it went bad.

This entire thing stinks of a scheme to garnish more money from society by corrupt officials.

First off, are they going to measure each trash can?

If they find a party is guilty, will the offending party get to inspect their own trash, record their findings, and protect their selves? Will it even be worth it to do so?

While the fines aren’t that expensive - $1 for residence, and $50 for businesses – it is still ridiculous….

What about business such as restaurants where food is often wasted – will there be a new toll that charges customers for what they don’t eat to make up for the fines that businesses will incur?

This is beyond ridiculous.

edit on 24-9-2014 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MentorsRiddle

I don't think they care about food they are just looking at ways to make money...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

It's for revenue not to save the planet. So stupid. I can guarantee you the enforcers will let their friends and family get away with "wasting food". First it was the leftover police. Now it's food.

My advice for all the people in Seattle. Find the stinkiest, most rotten food you can find. Fish, even human feces. And see how they like going through that trash.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I know it's all about the money, and not the food waste.

But this whole thing just burns me up at the lunacy of it all.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Here is your problem it is from Breitbart but luckiliy they linked the real article on this.

They don't give a damn how much food you throw out but they are talking about fines if it isn't disposed of in the apropriat compost bins provided.

Under current Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) rules, people living in single-family homes are encouraged but not required to dispose of food waste and compostable paper products in compost bins.

Apartment buildings must have compost bins available, but residents of apartment buildings aren’t required to use them.

And businesses aren’t subject to any composting requirements.

Under the new rules, collectors can take a cursory look each time they dump trash into a garbage truck.

If they see compostable items make up 10 percent or more of the trash, they’ll enter the violation into a computer system their trucks already carry, and will leave a ticket on the garbage bin that says to expect a $1 fine on the next garbage bill.

Apartment buildings and businesses will be subject to the same 10 percent threshold but will get two warnings before they are fined. A third violation will result in a $50 fine. Dumpsters there will be checked by inspectors on a random basis.

Collectors will begin tagging garbage bins and Dumpsters with educational tickets starting Jan. 1 when they find violations. But fines won’t start until July 1.seattletimes.com...

edit on 24-9-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Progressives

The new rules would allow garbage collectors to inspect trash cans and ticket offending parties if food and compostable material makes up 10 percent or more of the trash.

Garbage collectors writing tickets ??

Now the collection times will triple and require more highly trained personnel.

Wait

Now they can hire college graduates who major in political science !!

And now we have a new way to set somebody up. Just stuff their garbage cans!!

The courts will be jammed with garbage lawsuits now.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

This is a GOOD THING. And it's what the people of Seattle want. They make compost bins available for people to use. Trash bins are for trash. Compost bins are for compost. It has NOTHING to do with "wasting too much". It's about separating your garbage from compost.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
A dollar? Who is going to care? Especially, what garbage-man is going to take the time to go through your trash and weigh it out? Tearing open bags and making a huge mess to pick up? This would have to be done on-site (at your home) before being put into the truck and compacted.

The only reasoning I can see behind this is a way to single people out for digging through their trash. Which police or anyone can do anyway once it's on the street (maybe those laws differ place to place, not sure). So, I guess I see no real reasoning at all. It's not going to make the city any money, that's for sure.

I don't get it. Seattle just wants to give it's residents a gentle push to not be so wasteful? Good luck with that.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
I don't think they care about food they are just looking at ways to make money...

Oh, yeah, they're going to make a killing with those $1 fines!

That's ridiculous!

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

This is a GOOD THING. And it's what the people of Seattle want. They make compost bins available for people to use. Trash bins are for trash. Compost bins are for compost. It has NOTHING to do with "wasting too much". It's about separating your garbage from compost.

I stopped in this thread to be the voice of reason, but you beat me to it.

But I do find it comical that folks whom don't even live in Seattle are outraged over something the people of Seattle want. Are these folks even familiar with the people of Seattle and the culture they live in?

Here's a hint: Very Progressive
edit on 24-9-2014 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

I lived in Portland, OR for about 10 years and it's very similar. I think Seattle is even more progressive, though. It's what they want to do. I'm not sure why people get outraged over it. LOL

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Progressives

The new rules would allow garbage collectors to inspect trash cans and ticket offending parties if food and compostable material makes up 10 percent or more of the trash.

Garbage collectors writing tickets ??

Now the collection times will triple and require more highly trained personnel.

:

Thats doubtful.

The city outlawed recyclable items from the trash nine years ago, but SPU has collected less than $2,000 in fines since then,

They averaged $18.52 a month doing the same thing with recyclables for the past 9 years. Their really rolling in the dough from that.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Very weird. But, hey, if its what the people want, more power to 'em! I do know that food in trash bins is very disgusting. Plus with how many are starving you'd think people would be more inclined to either donate it or eat as much as they can before throwing it out. f someone wants to dig in my trash for food I won't stop them because they are obviously hungry. I would have voted to put the food elsewhere, like they already have. That should be enough.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

a reply to: LeatherNLace

I lived in Portland, OR for about 10 years and it's very similar. I think Seattle is even more progressive, though. It's what they want to do. I'm not sure why people get outraged over it. LOL

I guarantee not everyone wants this crap...even in a progressive cesspool like Seattle. This is more Goverment overreach plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Thankyou. And I can guarantee you the people who support this will have problems with someone going through their trash. Like SF, the most progressive places are the most hypocritical. As if voting the same government in over and over again will solve the homeless problem on Market Street. I guess it's safer to hide on Pine Street.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Does that mean that they're going to be going fine crazy at restaurant dumpsters?

Here's a funny situation:
What happens to the garbage collector that opens up the trash bag belonging to the family with a child under 2 years old? I can't imagine digging through human fecal matter is going to be worth the fines.....

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

I think this is just for revenue. However, they're starting small to see how much the public will take.

Threat of a small fine? Sure, fine me who cares.

If it doesn't stop in 10 years they'll fine you for putting the can out too early, too close to the street, too full, too heavy, doesn't stand out enough, presents a rodent problem, attracts the homeless. They start small, see how much the public takes then work their way up.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I think Seattle is even more progressive, though.

Portland has Seattle beat there.

If people voted for it and want it, whatever. I think it makes sense to compost. If someone wants to root through my trash they can have at it.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I added this on facebbok so this is a straight copy/paste.

Ya because they dont even have enough time to take a piss to let alone checking someone garbage for a un eaten burger..

and wtf food is biodegradable no? shouldnt they be more worried about i dunno things like plastic or dead bodies or something..

also this is an invasion of privacy.. It is only my business why I threw away some s*itty streak I messed up on..

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Oh, yeah, they're going to make a killing with those $1 fines!

That's ridiculous!

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1.....To infinity and beyond!

Day after Day...Year after Year...Just one more Freaking Dollar....

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join