It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Rainier Volcano: Long Period Events Continuing- This is Unusual

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

Yes, similar, but a lot of the Rainier events are longer in duration, and take on more of "tremor" shape. It might be helpful to go back through them while you still have access to the spectros- although I can get em if need be.

I think I may have spotted another tornillo looking through the raw data with spectro, but that one is not as clearly pronounced as the one I posted above. The key here is to watch out for a definite jump in seismicity, and especially if those quakes get into the 3+ magnitude region- which most assuredly will mean magma breaking rock.

What we are guarding against is a rapid ramp up that could surprise all of us, including the scientists- like what happened at Okmok in Alaska. 5 hours from first quake to ash at 50,000 feet. THAT would be disastrous here at Rainier, and people would have no time to escape. Hell, the scientists would still be debating whether to raise the damn alert level, while pyroclastic flows were on their way to kill.
Nuh uh. We not let this happen. No, no , NO!

And yikes, nasty quake hitting New Zealand right now- I swear, better keep an eye on Taupo.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Is it usual for increased activity around the ring of fire in several places?

With bardabunga in iceland, mt rainier and now maybe Taupo, is that connected?

Please keep us up to date on Taupo as well if it is indeed showing more activity, I've got family there, and I know that Taupo is a super volcano, so hopefully it's just nothing...

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

muzzy is the NZ expert, so I posted a question to him about Taupo in the Volcano Watch thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

He'll probably be on later.

And update on Rainier: another smaller LP event has occurred that I have seen- so not over yet, apparently. But it seems to be diminishing overall, rather than escalating- for now.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

An active thermal system driven by magma deep under the volcano has melted out a labyrinth of steam caves beneath the summit icecap.
Source

Oh my. This could bear further careful watching. Speaking of which, not very helpful contribution to your thread, but just to add to the frustration, nothing to see on the Mount Rainier webcams.
edit on 22-9-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Are any other volcanoes in the cascade mountain range that are becoming even more active like this or is it just an isolated event pertaining to just this volcano?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

What is the worse case scenario? Would the volcano shoot out one side, like St. Helens, or blow upwards? When was the last time this volcano exploded, and is there any timeline that it is adhered to in the past? Thanks for the updates.

This may already be addressed by the time that this posts, but the worst case scenario is a lahar wiping out Puget Sound.
A lahar doesn't even need an eruption. It would be similar to what happened at Shasta and its glacier this week except on a grander scale.
Past lahars have always followed the river routes to the Sound and have carved fertile valleys next to the rivers.
If a lahar occurs, the Green River Valley, Puyallup valley and others would be wiped out along with their populations. We're talking Tacoma, south Seattle, Olympia and all the places in between.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

I think we need to look at the glaciers to see if there is any collapse, I was in Oregon at my grandfathers house yesterday and saw on the news about a glacier collapse at Mt. Shasta. It has been very dry and hot this summer there could be lots of melting, could this be the culprit?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

Are any other volcanoes in the cascade mountain range that are becoming even more active like this or is it just an isolated event pertaining to just this volcano?

Well, oddly enough, I've been monitoring quite a few of them here lately, and been seeing some unsettling signatures at Crater Lake. I still haven't decided if it was telemetry error or what, because since, things seemed to have calmed down. Also been seeing weirdness at the Mono-Inyo region in Long Valley- looks like deep tremor. Comes and goes. Not sure. And speaking of which, looks like a 2+ just hit at LV, should see it soon.

But off topic, let's stick to Rainier here please.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I wish I knew.. I am by no means an expert in this. So i dobt want to make any assumptions.

I do know that there are many volcanoes here on the west coast and they all follow the subduction zone.
That is why I am curious to know if volcanoes like mt.st. helens or even mt baker, which is only 80 kms away from my home in abbotsford, are becoming active.

Could this be related to the " big one" ( reffering to the massive earthquake we are supposed to get from the marianas trench) that scientists have been waiting for, for around 50-60 years?
edit on 35914p13522 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

My appologies. But thank you for the info!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Curious what you think of the theory that Rainer, St. Helens and Adams share the same large magma pool.

In the late 1980s, scientists discovered a massive underground electromagnetic anomaly known as the Southern Washington Cascades Conductor. However, the two-year study published Sunday is the first to suggest that it may be the source of magma for Mounts St. Helens, Rainier and Adams. "We believe our results speak for themselves and are reluctant to extrapolate from the conclusions reached in the paper," Graham Hill, the lead author of the study, said in an e-mail from New Zealand. The study was sponsored by GNS Science, the New Zealand equivalent of the U.S. Geological Survey, and Monash University in Australia. Read more here: Controversial study suggests vast magma pool under Washington state

If the larger magma pool is the case then perhaps its worth keeping an eye on Volcanic seismicity around the other Volcanos

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Snf sir..bookmarked..and ring off fire is on the wake..
Here the active volcano map..almost all volcano on filiphin amd indonesia come to very active volcano..
www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Include one in a very close to my place that never active like this since 200years ago..and i am only 25km from the mountain of slamet that erupt again this night..some one say its just the start..

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Wow very interesting and a tad scary! I dont really have anything to add right now, just want to come back to this later. As I type I am looking out my window and I can usually see her but today we have to much cloud cover.... Im within a 50 mile radius so if she blows Im screwed

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Is Rainier the one that can take out small towns all the way out to the bay or is that Hood? I remember seeing how they do drills for it is erupts, but there are several cities in the path of mudflows that would only have 15 to 20 minutes tops to get to high ground if it goes. NOT GOOD. I hope I'm thinking about Hood.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: collietta

originally posted by: Aleister

What is the worse case scenario? Would the volcano shoot out one side, like St. Helens, or blow upwards? When was the last time this volcano exploded, and is there any timeline that it is adhered to in the past? Thanks for the updates.

This may already be addressed by the time that this posts, but the worst case scenario is a lahar wiping out Puget Sound.
A lahar doesn't even need an eruption. It would be similar to what happened at Shasta and its glacier this week except on a grander scale.
Past lahars have always followed the river routes to the Sound and have carved fertile valleys next to the rivers.
If a lahar occurs, the Green River Valley, Puyallup valley and others would be wiped out along with their populations. We're talking Tacoma, south Seattle, Olympia and all the places in between.

Oh, I did remember right.

I wish I was remembering it wrong.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The last time Rainier went up, it created the entire coastline of Puget Sound from Steilacoom to Seattle, so there are a LOT of people in the way. My dog has been acting weird and many times when he is sitting there and fretting like this there has been seismic activity.

Thanks for keeping on top of this for us.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Coopdog
The last time Rainier went up, it created the entire coastline of Puget Sound from Steilacoom to Seattle, so there are a LOT of people in the way. My dog has been acting weird and many times when he is sitting there and fretting like this there has been seismic activity.

Thanks for keeping on top of this for us.

If the dogs are acting funky, it might be time to go visiting relatives in some other part of the country soon.

Keep an eye out!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd
Could this be related to the " big one" ( reffering to the massive earthquake we are supposed to get from the marianas trench) that scientists have been waiting for, for around 50-60 years?

I think you mean the Cascadian subduction zone

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

No, it is not that usual. It is not unusual to have earthquakes in these areas except that they have been more frequent. The recent increase activity in seismic and volcanic events has to do with the lava plumes which have moved to the upper mantle in the North and South American plates and which I have mentioned in a couple of threads.

A similar increase in seismic and volcanic activity has also been seen in the North and South Pacific ocean.

This is a good site to check for seismic events www.iris.edu...

Here is a link from Wikipedia showing the different tectonic plates. link

If you would have checked seismic events lately there have been many quakes in parts of south America, and even in the U.S. and Caribbean islands, such as the Dominican Republic that normally are not as frequent as we have seen in the past few months. However, I have noticed that the past 2 days the events in the Americas for the most part seemed to have subsided, which is bad if we see this increase in activity at Mt Rainier continue because if it does then it could be a sign of an eruption.

edit on 22-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add link

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

In your thread that you referenced, you talk about the movement of the magma plumes maybe causing a weakening of the earths magnetic field. But I've read that;

“Coronal mass ejections can occasionally be directed towards the Earth. These can deliver a huge number of high-energy ions to the ionosphere, which are sufficient to cause relatively minor alterations to the strength and the direction of the magnetic field.”

www.suspicious0bserverscollective.org...

Could it not be that the recent CME, has manipulated the magnetic field, and this is then forcing the movement of magma into the areas of magnetic field weakness? Maybe that could explain the magma plumes and increased activity of these various volcanoes.
edit on 22-9-2014 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join