It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help needed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
My old computer with Windows 2000 on it died. The harddrive went to heaven. I bought a new computer with Windows 8.1 installed. This really sucks.

My daughter was here and set up some shell program to get my start menu back. She downloaded a few necessary programs. She is good at this, she does it all the time, We had a computer since she was a kid so she has been using one since 85.

I'm best at building computers and maintaining them, but my interest changed to a different subject about seven years ago, one which is much more important than computers but is dependent on the information on the net.

So here is my problem. I used to have ATS across the whole screen, now it is only in the center third and the printing is smaller. I also got my daughters bigger monitor to borrow, so now I can drop another open window into different monitors for comparing, I like that. I doubt if that is what is causing ATS to do this though. I want it big again and want to know if I had done something before to expand this in my other computer. I think that the 8.1 is leaving this space for adds on the side but I have some of that blocked.

I also have some ads, I had zero with my last system. It makes me want to toss this computer out the window. This much faster computer is slower than my thirteen year old one.

My access to finding what is running is dampened, I need to try to stop redirection software better so I can study things. I liked the NT platform better. What is happening is they are reducing our access to certain things, I want access to all knowledge not just what someone wants me to see. There are many sources that will pay for these services, I need to find a clean search engine and try to disable something in the computer that redirects me without my knowledge. I know google, Yahoo, and others do this also. I don't want to have my search choices hampered by my past searches. I always try to look at both sides, I don't want to be reinforcing my beliefs in the first search criteria.

How come there is a _ after the instead of saying window?
edit on 21-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Is it only ATS or all sites?
What browser are you using?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

So here is my problem. I used to have ATS across the whole screen, now it is only in the center third and the printing is smaller.

You're not talking about CTRL-+ ,are you?

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

I swear my mouse is independent thinking and often decides to stop scrolling with the wheel and instead control the zoom.

The first thing to check is whether you are zoomed at 100%. I forgot to add that when I asked if it was all pages and which browser (so I could tell you how to find the zoom level if needed).

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

Firefox. I am not sure about other sites, I have only been to livewello and here along with NIH and other medical sites. I haven't been to any other sites that have had ads as part of their income yet.

All my bookmarks are on the other computer, my daughter said to put the harddrive in the freezer and it will work long enough to export the links by email.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

So here is my problem. I used to have ATS across the whole screen, now it is only in the center third and the printing is smaller.

You're not talking about CTRL-+ ,are you?

Peace

What does that do?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Click on the background somewhere and hold CTRL and + at the same time.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

How do I alter the zoom on this? I just found and initiated the tool bar on firefox a little while ago. Is it in there?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

That will zoom the page in and out. It sounds like the page is not being viewed at 100% zoom.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Yeah!!!!!

Thanks for that info. It works great. Would I have to do that every time I come here?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

CTRL and + at same time will activate the zoom.

If you have the zoom plug-in for Firefox, there will be a magnifying glass on the toolbar that controls zoom, also

link   

Whoa! And I thought I was computer-literate, my ATS page has always been about a 1/3 of screen size as well (running Win 7), had no idea about Ctrl +/- ...thank you!

link   

No, only when you accidentally zoom the page out...like I do all the time lol

(post by TinkerHaus removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Others can best help you on the computer issues, but as far as a search engine that does not store your past searches, or store any record of your search at all. Try

Startpage

It uses google so you don't have to.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: kalunom

Late at night my eyes always need a little CtrL-+...

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You should definitely install the add-on extension FOXMARK for Firefox. It works like Chrome's feature where it saves your bookmarks then you just log in from any computer and voila! All your bookmarks

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: kalunom

Whoa! And I thought I was computer-literate, my ATS page has always been about a 1/3 of screen size as well (running Win 7), had no idea about Ctrl +/- ...thank you!

It is funny. If you do not know what things are supposed to look like, you accept what you see as normal. I had experienced something before and the new normal accepted by many people wasn't acceptable to me in this case. So I ask someone if there is a better way to get back to the normal I have experienced before. Now since you had not experienced this than you accepted what the settings were giving you without questioning it.

This is normal for everyone. People do not understand that what they consider as normal because it has always been that way is not really normal. I learned this from investigating the popcorn headache I get. Some people do not get it, I have got it all my life and thought everyone did. Until I actually started asking and researching and testing. People told me it was the salt, the butter, etc. I airpopped popcorn and did not add salt, I still have a headache from it. I researched the hell out of this and found it was a problem with an enzyme. I learned that my normal was a problem and that I should not eat much popcorn. Over half the people out there experiencing what I did blame it on salt.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Others can best help you on the computer issues, but as far as a search engine that does not store your past searches, or store any record of your search at all. Try

Startpage

It uses google so you don't have to.

Thanks for that link. I bookmarked it. I use the Yahoo European search engines when researching stuff in Europe. This way I can see what others see, some of this is blocked by our government's own requirements and agreements with the American versions of the browsers. I get redirected to things that we are supposed to see here. When studying medicines this is important to know of other options. Sometimes it is that the companies just have great software that shows up in the search first, renewing everything quickly. This keeps the information on top as new. I will jump to page ten sometimes when trying to find things.

It is just like here on ATS, the new stuff buries the old stuff quickly, keeping people from discovering it unless they run a search with precise parameters.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The root cause behind the difference is your default screen resolution. If you came from an old setup running Windows 2000 then your resolution on the new 8.1 machine is going to be way higher by default. Higher is better in a lot of areas, like gaming, watching videos/movies viewing images but does make text and websites smaller because they are coded at a smaller resolution.

The Ctrl +/- is a great tool to help with this. You should play around in your display settings in the control panel. Windows 8.1 has a lot of little easy tweaks to change like making default fonts and icons bigger so you can still have that older, larger, visual feeling you are accustomed to and not have to reduce your overall resolution. That way the before mentioned items for the higher resolution are not affected.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join