It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Teacher Has Sixth-graders Compare George Bush to Adolf Hitler

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I am not here to defend the relative merit of GW as our president nor would I want to, but when did comparing ANY American president to Hitler become part of the curriculum in our public schools? I am not saying people that are whacky extremists on either side of the policatl spectrum don't make these comparisons, I am talking a PUBLIC SCHOOL IN OUR NATIONS CAPITAL?!?

This teacher should be fired for her stupidity. You can't fix someone that has judgement that bad.

A public school teacher in Washington who instructed sixth-graders to compare former President George W. Bush to Adolf Hitler has learned her own lesson, according to district officials, but critics wonder why she still has a job.

D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson responded to the controversy late Wednesday on Twitter, saying no curriculum intended to make the comparison “in any way” and that the district and unidentified teacher are “deeply apologetic” about the matter. Henderson said the teacher has been ordered to apologize to the class.

“No DCPS curriculum says 2 make these comparisons in any way,” Henderson wrote. “Teacher used poor judgment & will apologize.”

Source

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Good grief, the curriculum is there for a reason. I'd like to know how long this teacher has had his/her undergraduate degree for.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You know what gets me about this #e?

Those on the Progressive left that would condemn parents for "brainwashing" their children to believing in GOD, yet you won't here a damn peep out of em on our educational system brainwashing our children with political ideologies!

Now grant you, Bush deserves justice and bars, but to be honest, as an old fart who is more aware of Hitler and his tactics than those young'uns out there that "think" one party is better than the other, I think Obama is a hell of a lot more comparable to Hitler than Bush when it comes to using the "unpopular and politically incorrect" terminology to compare a president to Hitler!

Hell, look at Obama and his speeches, children behind him? Who else used that as a tactic? Hitler!!!

And what the hell is this "HOMELAND" BS that is used by BOTH D's and R's"? Didn't Hitler also refer to Germany as "The Homeland"?

Bottom line, our educational system needs to butt the hell out of politically indoctrinating our children!!! How are they any different than religious groups?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I dont actually see whats so wrong about this. When I read the article it seems to say the teacher asked the students to compare the two and make a diagram.
Whats the big deal?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
I dont actually see whats so wrong about this. When I read the article it seems to say the teacher asked the students to compare the two and make a diagram.
Whats the big deal?

Want a nudge?

Seriously? What if they compared Hitler to Obama? Do you think that would stand in this racially divisive administration?

Hell NO!
edit on 11-9-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

It sounds, to me, like people are blowing this way out of proportion. Sixth graders are still pretty young and this looks like a simple lesson in compare and contrast, which would correspond with that grade level.

The teacher assigned a homework assignment to fill out a venn diagram. You know, the one with 2 circles that overlap a little. When you fill out a venn diagram most of the points you fill in are in the outside part of the circle to indicate an individual quality, one that the other circle does not have. The much smaller inner circle is reserved for the qualities they share.

Do Hitler and GWB share qualities? Sure. They were both leaders, they were both involved in wars, etc. Shared qualities do not have to be negative, and the only reason this story is causing so much outrage is because people are assuming it is in some way trying to imply that GWB is evil like Hitler. That is clearly not the case.

Teaching children how to compare and contrast two people on different ends of the spectrum is not a political statement in any way. It could be done with many opposites with interesting results. God and the Devil, Gandhi and Genghis Khan, Ron Jeremy and the Pope. Filling a venn diagram on any of those would not imply they are the same any more than GWB and Hitler would.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx
Then the comparison should be between Obama and Bush, not Hitler.
The only reason the teacher used Bush and Hitler is because they compare the 2. And the identity of the teacher should not be hidden.
edit on 9/11/2014 by catt3 because: add

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Hitler wasn't only bad and Bush isn't, obviously, only good either.
I probably have some of Bush's qualities and Hitler's flaws in my personality, we all do.

I don't see the big deal out of this. In fact, if well done, I think it's a great way to make kids practice mediating and critical thinking skills!

Maybe they should compare Obama to Hitler too, I mean, adults in the newspapers and TV compare pretty much everyone to Hitler once in a while. I don't think I need to make a list of treads on ATS that compares someone to Hitler to prove the point.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Ironic.

I have the feeling this teacher is about to find out the real meaning of Progressive Authoritarianism.

Maybe some Progressive Discipline will find it's way too !!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Poor teacher.

She didn’t even compare Hitler to bush at all, she simply designed a venn diagram as homework to let the students come to there own conclusion. She probably just thought it would be a good way to stimulate the students and encourage them to think outside the box.

Probably a nice change from the official propaganda of how ‘the US is infallible’ that the students usually have jammed down there throats constantly.

Might go do a venn diagram myself, using the US education system and the North Korean, lol.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
You can compare what ever you want in a free country! Guess some don't like it.

It is a comparison. You put them side by side and compare what they did:

Hitler killed millions. Geroge Bush killed millions.

Hitler used propaganda to win his citizens hearts. George Bush used propaganda to win his citizens hearts.

Hitler looked ridiculous with his mustache. George Bush is ridiculous.

That teacher really wants to teach and make the next generation realize what is going on in the used to be free US of A!

BRAVO!! *clap*clap*clap*

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

So it'd be okay to compare Obama and Stalin?

Just sayin'. . . . . . .

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I'm no fan of GW but that was out of line.

At least they had the teacher apologize. That's something at least...?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

It would be okay to compare a rock to a rainbow. You can compare what ever you want, there are no limits!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes
You were probably taught by a box of rocks like this teacher.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
She didn’t even compare Hitler to bush at all, she simply designed a venn diagram as homework to let the students come to there own conclusion. She probably just thought it would be a good way to stimulate the students and encourage them to think outside the box.

But if it was just a compare US President to Hitler exercise, wouldn't you expect that it would have included the current President and not a former one?
And sixth-graders would have been in Kindergarten or Pre-school when Bush was POTUS. They would have no frame of reference except whatever the teacher had lead them with. Why would you use him as the President compared?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
a reply to: beezzer

It would be okay to compare a rock to a rainbow. You can compare what ever you want, there are no limits!

NOT TRUE!!!

Political and Emotional Correctness RULES!

If we keep bowing in obedience to these progressive nut jobs that believe that by making our thought process good versus bad, we all might as be ROBOTS that are programmed to self destruct if we don't think the way "THEY" do!!!!

Bottom line, teachers are there to TEACH! NOT INFLUENCE!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: catt3

LoL, I can see you can relate!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I think the comparison is fair.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Let's settle this for once and all. Children should not be taught to think! They should be coloring pictures within the lines, washing the chalkboard and playing nicely at recess. Leave it to their parents to teach them to think during those five minutes a day when the parents are home, not cooking or cleaning, and can pry the kids away from television. Wait, there's "Sesame Street"! That takes care of education. No need to pry the kids away from television at all.

As for adults thinking, that's not necessary either. They can just watch sports.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join