It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finland Wants to Join Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Finland Wants to Join Russia

At least, that's what the Russian Times would like the natives to believe...

therussiantimes.com...

Google Translation

Recall that before the revolution of 1917, Finland was part of the Russian Empire, but had enough and independence - Swedish laws, its own currency and customs.

Another Finnish human rights activist Johan Beckman sure that such a drastic change in attitude occurred during the past year against the background of the EU and NATO actions in which there is simply no future. He believes that the collapse of both units - just a matter of the near future.
On this occasion, his point of view was expressed by the Prime Minister of Finland. Recently, he expressed support for the idea of ​​integration with Russia.

It is true that Finland would be perhaps the country most affected by a cut-off of Russian gas supplies. There is no doubt that some of the Finnish people (particularly those near the border) are nervous, and many of them are affected by the Russian embargo and the Western sanctions, and many of them would like to see closer ties to Russia.

Curiously, RT says, " his point of view was expressed by the Prime Minister of Finland. Recently, he expressed support for the idea of ​​integration with Russia." I'm not sure where that quote came from, but as recently as January the Prime Minister of Finland expressed the following," “We have to aim at maximising Finland’s national security and being part of decision-making, and that happens best as a NATO member."

Finland is not a charter-member of NATO, but is signatory to the NATO Partnership for Peace program.

NATO membership is not a popular idea in Finland. Most Finns are happy to tread the delicate line between East and West, especially with Russia right next door and a history of tension. While the RT article mentions Finland was once part of the Russian empire, it does not note the bloody civil war funded by the communists that wracked Finland after it gained its independence, nor the Soviet annexation of Karelia which is still a sore subject for many Finns.

The article is clearly for domestic consumption, but it's interesting to see what is being put out there.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Not going to happen, that borders the UK too much. Just Russian rubbish. Besides they have a mess down south as it is. Spread their army out again and look what happened the last time.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
No, it's not going to happen. There is certainly a desire to stay neutral, but current tensions have, if anything, pushed Finland and Sweden closer to NATO and not farther apart. The interesting bit is why RT is pushing the false narrative.

online.wsj.com...

Sweden's government said on Thursday that it would sign a Host Nation Support memorandum of understanding with NATO on the grounds that it would help the country to prepare for training exercises with NATO troops and ease the provision or receipt of military support in the event of a crisis or conflict. Finland's government said a day earlier that it would sign the same type of agreement at a coming NATO summit in the U.K.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
EU collapse? I can see that. Many others as well.

NATO...NOPE....The War Mach...oops...Peace Machine isn't even geared up yet.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

An EU collapse is certainly foreseeable. I'm a bit surprised the Euro has lasted as long as it has, to be honest.

None of that means Finland is ready to become part of the Russian empire.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
EU collapse? I can see that. Many others as well.

Did'ja hear that clinking sound too? You know, the one coming from the back rooms of the bigwig offices at the IMF.

Oh ... and Germany's not likely to get their gold back from those greedy b-tards ant time soon either.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

This is a preposterous claim the Russians have made, Finland stood alone against russia and the the russians decalered the Fins the greatest soldiers in the world, the Fin's later allied themselves with Nazi Germany out of necessity in order to obtain up to date German weapon's and technology though they actually neither trusted nor liked Adolf Hitler, this is why if you look at the Finnish army from the 1940's in combat gear you could easily make the mistake that you were looking at a german soldier.

At the end of the war the Russians Negotiated with the Fin's, they did not Negotiate with the German's and they took what they wanted elsewhere except were the other Allies were stationed.

At the start of the war remember that before Germany attacked them they had signed a non aggression pact with Germany and indeed were semi allied or so they thought and one fact that is overlooked is that when Germany invaded Poland so did Russia, England and France were therefore at that point technically at war with both Germany and Russia as Poland was our ally, another little historical fact, had Poland had up to date weapon's and tactics they actually had a large well trained army but sending horse mounted cavalry against tank's and first world war biplanes against Messerschmidt figher's was all they could in the event do.

At the Yalta conference Roosavelt betrayed Churchil's trust and made a seperate deal with the russians allowing them to keep ALL of poland but without the Americans and indeed Roosevelt we would never have won the war so though the polish may feel different if they were told the fact's in school we had no choice but to accept Roosevelt's decision and after all by this time he was effectively the real supreme commander in cheif of the western Ally's.

Finland was never at war with us though they were at war with Russia and so after the war no fingers in the west were pointed at them.

Here are some examples of Finnish fighters who fought during the war against the Russians
en.wikipedia.org...
finland.fi...
And here is one that maybe should be left in the closet though he was a brilliant soldier but he did join the SS,
everydaynormalguy1.blogspot.co.uk...

They are very proud of there history and the term used mostly for Fin's is Fiercely independant.
edit on 7-9-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If it wasn't the Russians who wanted to control Finland it was the Swedes, who were put in power by the English. Why can't both sides just leave the Finn's alone. Why do we have to choose sides anyway? I think the people in charge of the majority of our countries are the wrong kind of people.

I suppose I got on the no travel terrorist list of all the countries now for saying what I believe is the truth.

edit on 7-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm starting to wonder what kind of idiotic 'patriotic' bullcrap Putin and his lackeys are forcing down the throat of the Russian people. It's getting worrying.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Everydaynormalguy made very interesting reading, I archived that, might print it off for my private library, must try and find out what all his medals are, even more than Audy Murphy!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
I'm starting to wonder what kind of idiotic 'patriotic' bullcrap Putin and his lackeys are forcing down the throat of the Russian people. It's getting worrying.

Well, as I said, that is the interesting bit.

Is it solely for domestic consumption? Is it just to make Finns nervous? Both?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Loved reading the stories of these soldiers. My Mom was a child when they were evacuated from Karelia. They lost their home, livelihood, only took off with what they could carry. She is 76 now and has such anger towards the Russians. Kids were shuttled (as in any war) to other homes, to strangers, fathers didn't return home - well it's the same story as in any war. The Finns have huge national pride and they will never forget that war. Some countries didn't come to their aid. From the personal insights I've had to the Finns I don't see them ever wanting to become part of Russia. The war is too ingrained into the nature of who they are and they will not hesitate to rise up even if they know it's a lost cause. That's just my take on it, I could be wrong.

Very interesting reading this thread.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Actually the thread should say that someone in power in Finland wants to join Russia. I am sure that most Finns do not want to join Russia.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wow, i couldn´t believe this would be posted in ATS as its an Russian propaganda one reason this old news have popped out from sideways and beyond of one twitter post a one politician made which was misinterpreted by a newspaper in Russia. What the politician said was in english is that " Joining NATO would be as useful for Finland as joining military union with Russia" so the story plot continues by Estonian President Ilves actually retweeting that and old article of Pravda magazine " Welcome to propaganda 101"
Ilves Twitter account

And now this is supposed to be actual news .. im laughing my ar&e off right now.

For your information, Finland will never join Russia. We have had two wars against Russia and we were able to keep our independence which WE VALUE ALOT!

Last ombibus survey about joining nato was... 48% Yes for a NATO and 52% No

thank you for the laught !
edit on 7-9-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Finland would like to stay nuetral. Russian actions as of late agaist it is what has pushed Finland towards NATO. The Fins and Swedes just signed a Host Nation Support memorandum of understanding with NATO that would make it easy and legal for NATO to come to the defense of FInland and Finland to aid NATO. I think Putin thought that provoking Finland and Sweden would some how make them bow down to Russia's will. That they were weak and frightened which seems to be his general opinion of the West. A stupid opinion of course. So all Putin has managed to do it push nuetral states like Sweden, Finland, Ireland, Austria and even Switzerland closer to NATO and Europe in general closer to the US. The Fins are not the Ukraine using old Soviet junk and backwards Russian doctrine. They may have a small force but, it would be more than enough to bloody and slow Russian forces until NATO/EU forces arrived.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It is not that obvious, if the opinion of Finland could be expressed by the Russian party. But, I bet Finns are not too delighted to see EU and NATO bash Russians. 1,500 km of common border with Russia call for common sense in diplomacy and good relations - something which is not that clear concepts back in Brussels. But joining Russia - why?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Compulsory military service in Finland apply to all finnish males from age 18 to 60. Military service is mandatory. If the SHTF there is over 900,000 available reserve.
edit on 7-9-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

Because Russia are playing the game well... They have been made out as the aggressors and then bang, A truce with Ukraine out of nowhere.. And where is Europe at? Still threatening and provoking..

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

If it wasn't the Russians who wanted to control Finland it was the Swedes, who were put in power by the English.

Sweden have always had a good relation with Finland, in the second world war they sheltered Finnish children and offered support to the Finns whom they felt sorry for. Recently they signed into a defence treaty with one another too, the relationship between Finland and Sweden has always been much friendlier than that of Finland and Russia.

Also how were the Swedes put in power by the English when Finland was a part of Sweden From the 1200s?

Why can't both sides just leave the Finn's alone.

The Swedes haven't had much to do with Finland since 1809 when Finland was ceded to Russia.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join