It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funniest Conversation With Someone About "Witchcraft"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hello all,

Let me give you backdrop about me. I am a Christian, but I have a brother that practices Celtic Paganism who had formerly practiced Satanism. But he isn't fundamental to this story. I have also conversed and interacted with many, many, many people of other religions including Paganism. And here is the funny conversation...

A person who lives in my building practices different forms of witchcraft, including candle magick, Appalachian Folk Magic and other things such as that. This person also has a mirror that contains spiritual energy. I know this because the person's mirror hit its energy into my back, because it was behind the couch I was sitting on and didn't know the mirror was there. I mentioned to this person that they have a scry mirror. They informed me that they didn't have a scry mirror but the mirror they do have is 200 years old and that if you look closely at it, you can see spiritual activity in it and she gets revelation from said mirror..but it's not a "black mirror" as she called it.

But then this person tells me they practices "vibes" or feeling a person's energy and tells them spiritual things (really only psychological things). And this person uses candles for divination, but then tells me all of this is part of Indian magick, but not witchcraft.

Well now, my brother who is Celtic Pagan called her on that and said it is indeed witchcraft.

So I am explaining to someone else that this event with the mirror happened, and the other person went back to her and said I accused her of being a witch. She flipped out, saying she is not a witch and not practicing witchcraft. But the funny thing was, as I mentioned to her in May that my brother was not coming over because of Beltaine, she said "Oh, that's right, it is that time".

The funny conversation went like this...

Person "You accused her of being a witch and her mirror isn't a two-way mirror. She is not practicing witchcraft and how dare you say that!"

Me "The classic definition of witchcraft in Wicca simply means "someone who is wise", and she is practicing what she calls "Indian vibes" through candle divination, and she admits she uses her mirror to receive information from the spiritual side. And she knows Appalachian Folk Magick, and she knows when Beltaine is, so in essence she is practicing witchcraft".

Person: "She is not practicing witchcraft! How dare you say this".

Me: "I didn't say it was good or bad, right or evil, I just said this is what she does".

Person: "Well, isn't that what your brother does?"

Me: "Yes, and he knows what it is that she is doing"

Person: "Well, she's not a witch and you need to apologize to her for saying she is".

So there you have it, in your opinion, what makes one a witch?

I go to the person and explain to them the conversation...

Me: "I want to clarify what was said"

Her: "You mean about my mirror?"

Me: "Yes, your mirror and here is the context in which I was explaining to the other person, you know that what you are doing that you call "Indian Magick" is really Appalachian Folk Magick".

Her: "Yes, and I learned it from my granny who visits me and guides me".

Me: "Then that is witchcraft"

Her: "No, it's not witchcraft"

Me: "Well, I certainly never said you were a witch".

Now she is angry with me (but I don't care) and the other person jumped on me. And yet when I was talking to the original person, we were talking about paranormal activity in the building, and I mentioned this incident with the mirror, nothing more than that and had never mentioned the candle divination. My brother who is Celtic Pagan said she is a witch, because she does all of these things.

Mind you, I didn't say it and never said it was good or evil, because a lot of things she tells me she certainly embellishes a lot on and other things I know are not truthful that she says. So my question to the forum, exactly what constitutes someone being a witch nowadays?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
No, but for some people, it's all about titles, or labels.

Me, I revel in being called a witch. In reality, I'm more eclectic than that, because of the small group I am apart of, and integrate their methods with mine. One is Native American, and another just calls herself a naturalist. But none are offended by being called a witch.

But because of the bad press, many are.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
No, but for some people, it's all about titles, or labels.

Me, I revel in being called a witch. In reality, I'm more eclectic than that, because of the small group I am apart of, and integrate their methods with mine. One is Native American, and another just calls herself a naturalist. But none are offended by being called a witch.

But because of the bad press, many are.

Well this lady sure was offended.

And the "Indian magick" she talks about is really Appalachian Folk Magick because I know her family and where they are from. She doesn't even do those things, she just amalgamates little things and then lumps them together. Her granny was not Native American, I know this.

She doesn't grow herbs or anything like that, but it does seem she does more things from Wicca. She doesn't decorate her home in that way, but she does have a straw broom, that she told me she does use for special cleanings.

My brother said she just has some kind of redneck form..lol. As far as being eclectic, no, she doesn't seem to be involved in that. All I know is that she does do the divination from the candles and the mirror. Mind you, I never said it was good or evil, just that is what she does.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

To be honest, maybe you should have just said "it's exactly like witchcraft" instead of it was witchcraft?

Unless you really don't care about offender her delicate sensibilities.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I don't mind the label at all but I also freely call what I do what it is: witchcraft. Some people don't dig that label and that's cool. I just call it whatever they want it to be called if they are the ones practicing it.

A lot of religious practices fall into that catagory for me. For example, much of what I see from Catholic ritual could be arguably "witchcraft" but it's not. Why is it not witchcraft? Because Catholics say it isn't. That's good enough for me to not call it that.

If that were my neighbor, I would just say "fascinating, your practices are very similar to what many witches do" or something less direct.

Some people are impossible to please in this regard and are just actively looking for vindication so don't feel too bad. If you weren't disrespectful, you weren't disrespectful. It's not like you continue to label her something she doesn't like.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Just call it whatever she wants to call it. Does it really matter? Religion is all personal interpretation anyways. There is no set RULES that say if someone is or isn't a witch, christian, muslim, jew, pagan, buddhist, etc. When you try to say whether someone is or isn't a particular religion you are employing the No True Scotsman fallacy.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Just call it whatever she wants to call it. Does it really matter? Religion is all personal interpretation anyways. There is no set RULES that say if someone is or isn't a witch, christian, muslim, jew, pagan, buddhist, etc. When you try to say whether someone is or isn't a particular religion you are employing the No True Scotsman fallacy.

I really don't know what she wants to call it. However she identifies, she has not directly stated. I can only go with all the things she has told me she has done.

I certainly never implied to her that it was good or bad or that she was evil for doing it. I simply listened to her.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Meh, it's just a label. You don't need a name for what you worship to believe in it or practice it. Though if you are truly curious, just ask her what she calls it.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

I don't mind the label at all but I also freely call what I do what it is: witchcraft. Some people don't dig that label and that's cool. I just call it whatever they want it to be called if they are the ones practicing it.

A lot of religious practices fall into that catagory for me. For example, much of what I see from Catholic ritual could be arguably "witchcraft" but it's not. Why is it not witchcraft? Because Catholics say it isn't. That's good enough for me to not call it that.

If that were my neighbor, I would just say "fascinating, your practices are very similar to what many witches do" or something less direct.

Some people are impossible to please in this regard and are just actively looking for vindication so don't feel too bad. If you weren't disrespectful, you weren't disrespectful. It's not like you continue to label her something she doesn't like.

I can see how the less direct way might work. The funny thing was that she was trying to convince my brother she doesn't do that, and my brother is someone who teaches people in his group. He knows all about it and he explains to me the different forms. He talks about elemental and academic magick. He knows the reasons for the various metals and colors used. He teaches how to do circles and protocols involved. He is somebody who is knowledgeable enough about it that he is trusted to teach others.

Sometimes he explains things that just make me wrinkle my eyebrows.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Just call the JW and the Mormons and make appointments for them to see her. Let them call it witchcraft in a negative way and she'll appreciate your support.
edit on 3-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Just call the JW and the Mormons and make appointments for them to see her. Let them call it witchcraft in a negative way and she'll appreciate your support.

I have a Mormon friend, she's kind of a funny person.

The JW friend I have suddenly started believing in everything David Icke says and now she floods facebook with conspiracy theories.

I'm friends with a lot of people that aren't Christian or the same denomination as me. Some of them are very funny and some are nuts.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

The label "witch" has come to mean all sorts of things these days. Unfortunately, not all forms of magic are "witchcraft" at their heart. I, personally, approach the magical arts from three angles:

A witch is someone who practices the Art to aid another: their spells and rites are never for themselves. They will perform healing magic, provide medicinal potions, and utilize whatever methods they can to bring peace and health back to the individual they are caring for. The inverse, a sorcerer, is someone who practices the Art to harm another.

A magician is like a witch, only their goal is the Self. A magician seeks to probe the mystical, to explore the inner reaches of the mind, and to pierce the veil of the soul. Magicians call upon some of the same powers as a witch, only their goal is never for another. I contend that their are no evil magicians, only misguided sorcerers.

A priest is unlike the other two in that their efforts are purely selfless. They serve their deities, their community, or their families, offering whatever service they can to bring the blessings of a Higher Power down through the spiritual levels and into the lives of the intended recipient.

These are, of course, as arbitrary as anyone else's definitions. However, in my experience, and approaching things from both a historical and sociological perspective, this has been the case in ancient and modern societies. A priest was an elected official, whose job was to oversee the well-fare of all by appeasing the tutelary deities. A witch often accompanied/served as a physician, and would provide magical cures alongside the purely scientific ones. A magician studied in secret, perfecting their Art and transforming themselves through various forms of spiritual alchemy.

The question then is the intention of this person's magical actions. Were they selfless, dedicated to the Self, or intended to help other individuals? While they may not understand my approach, I feel it may help you better assess whether someone is a priest, magician, or witch.

Just my two cents!

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wandering Scribe

The label "witch" has come to mean all sorts of things these days. Unfortunately, not all forms of magic are "witchcraft" at their heart. I, personally, approach the magical arts from three angles:

A witch is someone who practices the Art to aid another: their spells and rites are never for themselves. They will perform healing magic, provide medicinal potions, and utilize whatever methods they can to bring peace and health back to the individual they are caring for. The inverse, a sorcerer, is someone who practices the Art to harm another.

A magician is like a witch, only their goal is the Self. A magician seeks to probe the mystical, to explore the inner reaches of the mind, and to pierce the veil of the soul. Magicians call upon some of the same powers as a witch, only their goal is never for another. I contend that their are no evil magicians, only misguided sorcerers.

A priest is unlike the other two in that their efforts are purely selfless. They serve their deities, their community, or their families, offering whatever service they can to bring the blessings of a Higher Power down through the spiritual levels and into the lives of the intended recipient.

These are, of course, as arbitrary as anyone else's definitions. However, in my experience, and approaching things from both a historical and sociological perspective, this has been the case in ancient and modern societies. A priest was an elected official, whose job was to oversee the well-fare of all by appeasing the tutelary deities. A witch often accompanied/served as a physician, and would provide magical cures alongside the purely scientific ones. A magician studied in secret, perfecting their Art and transforming themselves through various forms of spiritual alchemy.

The question then is the intention of this person's magical actions. Were they selfless, dedicated to the Self, or intended to help other individuals? While they may not understand my approach, I feel it may help you better assess whether someone is a priest, magician, or witch.

Just my two cents!

~ Wandering Scribe

Those are all very good explanations.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Im a man witch combined with a magician style, I don't do magic tricks lol. My thing is basic white magic as I call it. My chants have worked pretty darn well I must say. I was doing it wrong but corrected my faults over time, Im pretty happy with it so far.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Never call a man witch a sloppy joe. They find it offensive.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy He knows the reasons for the various metals and colors used. He teaches how to do circles and protocols involved. He is somebody who is knowledgeable enough about it that he is trusted to teach others.

Sometimes he explains things that just make me wrinkle my eyebrows.

Did he told you or know these symbols are used to summon ancient classes of entities?

The difference in imagery is like a code and every entity has a specific "code"

Ironically, the whole concept is analogous to "cheat codes" in computer games.

The code is as old as the entity itself.

The danger of the occult is that if this entity would be condemned in the future, those who summoned it might also be condemned with it, especially those who did blood-letting.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I am not going to dwell on this for too long but, when I was reading this "story" I couldn't help but feel and think that no one in the story understands what they are saying and doing. You all think you do, but sadly are so far out of the loop.

To give you an idea, I am not going to list all the paradigms I have been involved in and learn't but I will say if you master ONE system you can use it in every other system. And over time you can create your own.

In fact, I am willing to admit - that I am a freemason and I can use some of these rituals to call upon and bind spirits much like say a ceremonial magician using crowleys works can.

I only posted this just to let other s know that there is a lot more too it.

People who brag and go on about # as the ops story usually confirm that when people learn something or knows something without proper research it confirms people can learn a little of information to be dangerous - in regards in misleading the masses.

I wish you the best of luck however and dont mean to come off as harsh.

join