It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plant-based Probiotics - Making Your Own Sauerkraut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Recently, I've been checking out fermented foods and how good they are for us. I love sauerkraut, but as an adult, it just didn't taste as good as I remember it from my childhood. I realize now it's probably because my mom made her own. She canned everything! And it's likely that she made sauerkraut as well.

Unless you buy "unpasteurized" or "raw" sauerkraut, you're not getting the benefits of the probiotics.

I read some info, watched a few videos and this morning, I decided to try it! Here are a few sites that have some great info, if anyone is interested in trying it.

How to Make Sauerkraut

The probiotics found at the store usually contain only one strain of bacteria or a few different strains that are thought to be helpful. On the other hand, raw sauerkraut can contain a mixture of over 13 different species of gut-friendly bacteria, according to a study published in the December 2007 issue of "Applies and Environmental Microbiology." Each different batch of sauerkraut you eat, especially if you ferment it yourself, may contain different proportions of different strains of probiotics. Including a variety of strains of probiotics can help you diversify and improve your gut flora.

Sauerkraut and Probiotics

I recently concocted a delicious "Hot Italian Turkey Sausage" recipe and can't wait to try them together!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
S&F I love the idea of fermenting your own foods, i'm a big fan of Kimchi and try to eat it as much as possible. I will try to make a batch of Sauerkraut and see how it turns out, though to admit I have never been a fan of it I may be able to doctor my own to something suitable to my palate.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ProspectPhilosopher

Do you make your own Kimchi? I've never tasted it. I would imagine you could add heat to sauerkraut by adding a jalapeno or other type of pepper or even crushed red pepper. Hmmm... I'm getting all kinds of ideas!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Have you seen this video:

KeyBiotics

They go into the entire conspiracy surrounding sugar and eventually show how to counter the ill effects with what your thread is about. I'm watching first hand right now the devastating effects of sugar addiction on an elderly family member. They all out refuse to believe anything is wrong and that it is sugar related, as they have been slowly deteriorating into a lifeless slump now for years. The person I'm mentioning goes through 2 1/2 pounds of raw sugar every 3 days just in coffee and tea! Luckily they will at least eat sauerkraut but it is not enough.

Here's a link to the thread I did a few months back when I found out another interesting fact. ATS Link

TTYS. . . AB
edit on 8/31/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Wow! Thanks. I don't eat sugar at all anymore.

Watching now...

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I like homemade kimchi. Sauerkraut and polish sausage is good too. But that would be cooked. I don't care for raw sauerkraut. I eat quite a bit of cabbage boiled in soups.

I see there are others so far that like kimchi.
edit on 31-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

No a korean friend of mine makers her own, and I always get a big bowl of it when she does.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
S&F for you!

It is amazing how much good nutrition we can supply ourselves with when we take back control of our food supply!

This is amazingly good for you and an answer to the crazy amount of gastrointestinal problems the we have seen spread across this country!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

VERY interesting little movie! I turned it off when the sales pitch started, but I really enjoyed it.

I knew sugar was "bad", but I had no idea! It makes me never want to eat it again!

I would recommend everyone watch the link AnteBellum posted above.

edit on 8/31/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thanks for posting both these vids BH and Antebellum...
Recently my family has been researching this as well, and this was definitely an eye opener and a kick starter.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread, recently I went for a 6 week ride on anti biotics and it ruined my gut for months after the fact.
I am actually still hurting from that dose 3 months later, I started taking pro biotics during the last two weeks but I think is was too late.

Good news is that the wife and myself both love cabbage, cooked or raw or the best........ is cabbage rolls.
Funny thing is I can't stand the smell of it cooking but I love the end result.

I will follow this thread in the hope of preventing any more distress to my gut.

S&F

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I didn't mention the ad relativeness of the video earlier because I knew you'd see through it!

I always wanted to dig a little on some of the facts they presented(especially Rumsfeld), who knows what other horrible things have been done under our noses for the sake of money and power. The tobacco industry or better yet the fast food industry probably has more skeletons then. . .
I can guarantee most lobbyist groups in DC can be linked back to major corporations.

I'm glad you liked it, I personally worked in these probiotic foods into my diet regularly now. No more processed foods, I shop and eat on the perimeter of the supermarket only. (But I still do cheat once and a while, shhh! Don't tell anyone!)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I still do "cheat" once in a while too. We're going out to eat for my birthday, for example, but the VAST majority of the time, I'm cooking whole foods every day.

I'm excited about trying this sauerkraut.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Mmmm, I love sauerkraut.... especially with fried kolbassa and perogies.

A few things to note that the video didn't specify about homemade sauerkraut:

- The fermenting process needs to be in a warm(ish) environment, kept out of direct sunlight. The warmer the environment, the faster the fermentation process will happen. So summer months are ideal... as long as you don't have your air conditioning cranked way up, LOL.

- Do not use regular iodized table salt. The best salts to use are sea salt/kosher salt/pickling salt. Any one of those (course or fine grind doesn't matter) will work best. Iodine will actually kill the bacteria... which defeats the purpose of making sauerkraut for the benefit of probiotics. You CAN make sauerkraut with iodized table salt (tastes just as good), but you won't get the probiotics in it.

- If you're going to make it in mason jars, you might want to "burp" the jar every day or two, this will release the gas buildup so the jars don't explode on you (cabbage flying everywhere) when you're ready to open and eat the nummies. Just open the lid a bit and allow the gas to escape and then put it back on, no need to tighten the lid, just loosely screw it on. The gas buildup only happens during the fermentation process, so once that's been stopped, no need to worry about getting cabbage blown in your face.

- Placing a full cabbage leaf (folded to fit inside the jar), pushing down on it firmly until the liquid fills overtop of the leaf, and then placing some kind of clean weight on top of it (to hold the leaf submerged - I use a small flat rock) will ensure that all of your shredded/chopped veggies stay submerged in the liquid. It's not totally necessary for the weight, but it's a good added measure. Once the fermentation process is done, it's not necessary to keep the leaf and rock inside the jar.

- You can ferment your veggies anywhere from a few days to a couple of months... depending on how strong you like your sauerkraut. Once you're happy with the flavour, placing the jar in a very cool place (or refridgerator) will stop the fermenting process. Be sure to tighten the lid properly once you're ready to put it into storage (cool cellar or fridge). Homemade sauerkraut will keep for an endless time period in your fridge, so no worries about an expiry date. If you're just storing it in a cool cellar, it will normally keep for anywhere from several months up to a few years (depending on the coolness of your cellar/basement).

Awesome thread, BH !

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

S&F for this thread.

I love sauerkraut but never thought of it as the having health the benefits mentioned. I have had kefir before, and can take or leave it, only heard about kimchi in the last year or so (never tried it). I do like the pickled form of cole slaw, wonder if it contains probiotics.

I might give making some raw sauerkraut a try if I can't find it already made. There is a small deli near by that makes everything they sell onsite, I'm sure they would be a source.

Lots to think about, thanks for the information.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

- If you're going to make it in mason jars, you might want to "burp" the jar every day or two, this will release the gas buildup so the jars don't explode on you (cabbage flying everywhere) when you're ready to open and eat the nummies. Just open the lid a bit and allow the gas to escape and then put it back on, no need to tighten the lid, just loosely screw it on. The gas buildup only happens during the fermentation process, so once that's been stopped, no need to worry about getting cabbage blown in your face.

Information to be taken seriously...somehow I feel you are speaking from experience. And the lesson learned was not pretty at the time. Thanks for the smile.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
My girlfriend makes excellent sauerkraut, out of both red and green cabbage. It is much tangier then the store bought kind. She also makes delicious kimchi, with bits of Asian pear chopped up. Knowing that it contains healthy probiotic bacterias is a plus.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
There is recent research that suggests that bacterial imbalance is also the possible cause of many allergies.

I don't like sauerkraut much though I like coleslaw and miso soup, I also take chlorella tablets sometimes.

top 10 probiotic foods
edit on 31-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: YogaGinns

Information to be taken seriously...somehow I feel you are speaking from experience. And the lesson learned was not pretty at the time. Thanks for the smile.

Heh, yup.... a face full of sauerkraut is not fun.

I also had this happen the one and only time I tried to make beer. We woke up to what we thought was the start of WW3 until we realized the explosion sounds were coming from the basement.

So what does my hubby do ?

Yes, that's right.... he throws on his rubber boots, goes tearing down into the basement screaming, "Save the beer !! Save the beer !!"

*sigh*

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: YogaGinns

I also had this happen the one and only time I tried to make beer. We woke up to what we thought was the start of WW3 until we realized the explosion sounds were coming from the basement.

So what does my hubby do ?

Yes, that's right.... he throws on his rubber boots, goes tearing down into the basement screaming, "Save the beer !! Save the beer !!"

Oh yeah, I can see Iwinder doing the same thing. They have their priorities for sure.

We once considered trying to make our own brew, but thought the economy would suffer if we did.

Namaste,
YogaGinns
edit on 31-8-2014 by YogaGinns because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join