It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do think about this? How could this Idea be used where you live? In other ways?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Just saw this today. Is this a good idea? How could this be used in different places in different ways?? Feed homeless? Things like that. I was just wondering what folks here thought. Or Ideas etc...

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: RUFFREADY
The local animal control would park near the machine and snatch up all the strays to come along.
Go directly to the pound, do not pass go, do not collect kibble.
good intentions with the machines but being homeless is illegal, human or animal

edit on 8/29/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

That is pretty cool.
I could see a problem with the wrong stray being around people tho, they can get pretty sketchy when they have been a stray for a while.
Or dogs fighting over the food

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Is that glass bottles? Plastic bottles?

In the case of plastic bottles, I would like to see these installed in my hometown, except, because we do not have quite the level of trouble with stray dogs that Istanbul does, I would rather it dispensed the scrap value of the weight of the plastic deposited.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

So you want a recycling center? Honesty surprised your town doesn't have one. Grew up in a rather small town and it had one for as long as I could remember behind the local grocery store
Does it still do the feed the dog thing too or are you taking that part out in your idea.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Very cool.

I would just collect a few bottles as I walk my dog down to the machine and feed him a couple times each day.

Saves me money, lets Bear get excercise and food plus I recycle.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Is that glass bottles? Plastic bottles?

In the case of plastic bottles, I would like to see these installed in my hometown, except, because we do not have quite the level of trouble with stray dogs that Istanbul does, I would rather it dispensed the scrap value of the weight of the plastic deposited.

I hear you!! I see them damned plastic bottles all over the place. I was thinking just this second..some kind of contraption like this at beaches?? Put in a bottle or what not and get a squirt of sun tan / sun block lol!! Heck I don't know

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Put something in to feed a desolate creature.....not going to promote the civil peace for sure.

The idea at its root is a good one. The intentions seem to be made of gold. I doubt it would end up well, though.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

We have one, located somewhere on the site of the municipal dump. To use it, you have to be able to drive, and own a car, because you cannot use the site if you do not drive onto it. Do not ask me why, its just how it is!

I think there should be one of these on every third street in highly populated areas. They would be so much more accessible to the poor, and to the elderly.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I agree with our idea of them all over the place with easy access.
Seems to defeat the purpose to have it in a place you have to drive too.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I didn't realise there were any local authorities which do not do a domestic recycle rubbish collection these days, does yours honestly not, really?
I have two collections here on the SW England coast, one for landfill-non-recycle stuff, and another with boxes for glass, plastic, paper/cardboard, aluminium and steel cans. I am shocked if you are saying your council just does a general rubbish pickup every week...must be one of the few in the UK, you will end up paying for it in landfill taxes and legislation soon, so enjoy it while it lasts.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Oh, we have recycling collection, but a very low percentage of the contents of these bags is ever actually recylcled. Less than twenty percent in some places.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hmm, I think your comment is misleading because local authority recycle rates are based on amount recycled as a percentage of total waste collected. You appear to be implying that only 20-30% of collected recyclables are actually recycled. I doubt this and would ask for your source to verify your assertion?

My local authority does not have a landfill site so are required to pay a neighbouring authority to bury anything that has not been sifted out for recycling. Out of total rubbish collected, roughly a third is collected in 'recycle' containers, then this goes to a transfer station to be hand sorted by agency guys on minimum wage.
My local authority will recycle as much as it can to avoid paying landfill charges to the neighbouring authority.

Are you really claiming that of all 'recycled waste' collections, 70-80% ends up in landfill anyway?
...as I said, I would love to read your source for that assertion, and on-topic, if you support the dog-food-plastic-bottle-recycle machine for the UK then you must be aware that such a scheme would involve the bottles going to the same local transfer/sorting system as the rest of recycle waste - your claim of 70-80% going to landfill would presumably apply to collections from these machines as well then, or not, and why do you think so?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

You are right, my initial assertion that twenty percent of our recycling is actually recycled was wrong.

However, the only data I could find on this, is a Daily (hate) Mail article from last year. The responses they have been getting from waste management officials who work at the reprocessing centres appear to have been largely negative about the amount of waste that is ever actually recycled, with millions of tonnes of carefully sorted recycling, ending up in landfill despite the effort people have put in to stashing it, and then packing it up for collection.

It turns out that the numbers look quite a bit healthier than that, in some respects, but read the article carefully, and it still turns out that the numbers are far from acceptable.

top topics

join