It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Creating Database to Track "Misinformation" on Twitter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

The federal government is spending nearly $1 million to create an online database that will track “misinformation” and hate speech on Twitter.

The National Science Foundation is financing the creation of a web service that will monitor “suspicious memes” and what it considers “false and misleading ideas,” with a major focus on political activity online.

Source

Uh, oh.

You better be careful what you post on Twitter now (as if you weren't before) because the thought police are watching. Make sure you don't post any 'suspicious memes' or 'false and misleading ideas' or you will get a new database entry. A week or so ago I posted about how Facebook Is A Vile Corporation and now it seems that Twitter is going down the same road. This isn't necessarily Twitter's fault that the data is being mined, but it is the same net result as Facebook's unscrupulous activities.

I don't have a profile on Twitter or Facebook, but if I did I would never post anything on it for fear of my Government. Free speech is really being squelched even though we have the illusion of the 'social network'. Why is the Government monitoring THOUGHTs? Is this their job now? I am at a loss to explain who gave the FEDs this power to scrutinize every area of our life. Probably American apathy.

edit on 2014/8/26 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Tracking misinformation? What are they going to do, spend all their time tracking campaign promises and the conversations of politicians? That will burn up the whole million bucks and fill the databases.

They haven't got a supercomputer big enough to track misinformation coming from corporations and beauracracies.
edit on 26-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The federal government is spending nearly $1 million to create an online database that will track “misinformation”…

The "federal government" is the King of misinformation. What they probably mean is track any real truth that gets out.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The "federal government" is the King of misinformation. What they probably mean is track any real truth that gets out.
Yeah that and I'm sure they are also interested in how to better spread their own false memes.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Tracking misinformation? What are they going to do, spend all their time tracking campaign promises and the conversations of politicians? That will burn up the whole million bucks and fill the databases.

Hilarious and spot on response, sir.

edit on 2014/8/26 by Metallicus because: added quote

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
We should Demand they use it to help people in need.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I`m sure it was ordered by Kerry so he won`t look stupid again as with MH17 crash.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

i think not only will they be doing this on Twitter; but they also will be tracking on that database the majority of what is on the internet; and I suspect they already have been for a while.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
First tracking, then registering people as "domestic terrorists" because they disagree with TPTB, then censure, then arrest of the people who fight back. Then 99.99% of the population is afraid to say anything online, at that point they've won.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if the internet/world wide web was a scientific experiment to see what humanity would do and become. Was/is it a way to control the masses or does/did it give us too much knowledge, too much power? Do people band together or do they tear one another apart? Does the internet offer a distraction from real life or does it educate too much on what is happening in the world?

TPTB have been gathering our information long before the internet, the internet just made it easier to do and we all came running like kids to the candy bowl.

I know many times I don't search things because I'm afraid of what list I may be put on. Whether or not I'm just being paranoid or there is validity to that, it does stop me. So somewhere along the line I lost trust in my complete American freedoms.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sure because us poor dumb ole' folks can't be counted on to understand fact from fiction. Of course, I haven't been in a school for a long time, so I don't know if they still teach kids about advertising methods or not. They still did when I was in school and they did it at quite a young age as part of discerning fact from fiction.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Now they will know where to send their sock puppet agents.

They can counter attack misinformation with other misinformation.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: quirkygirl
Sometimes I wonder if the internet/world wide web was a scientific experiment to see what humanity would do and become. Was/is it a way to control the masses or does/did it give us too much knowledge, too much power? Do people band together or do they tear one another apart? Does the internet offer a distraction from real life or does it educate too much on what is happening in the world?

TPTB have been gathering our information long before the internet, the internet just made it easier to do and we all came running like kids to the candy bowl.

I know many times I don't search things because I'm afraid of what list I may be put on. Whether or not I'm just being paranoid or there is validity to that, it does stop me. So somewhere along the line I lost trust in my complete American freedoms.

You`re probably right, but more with the intention of picking out "the dangerous ones" for when the time is right.

The smartest ones will pose the most threat (and are being profiled), but as the great Johan Cruyff ones said "every disadvantage has its advantage." The masses have way more information now, and that`s the drawback for TPTB.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The NSA has been storing internet data religously since at least 2007, when the PRISM program was made official. My suspicions are that they have been doing something similar for years. Considering the fact that the FISA court remains mostly secretive about the details of NSA information gathering, it's easy to imagine that data collection was going on well before 2007.

Some other examples of programs that gather data in a similar way as PRISM (or work in conjunction with PRISM) are: TURBINE, QUANTUM, Blarney, Bonesaw, and the NSA's Federal agency search engine ICREACH. Detailed explanations of these programs can be found HERE and HERE.

Furthermore the NSA has a nice, new, shiny data storage center in Utah:

Data Storage Capacity In February 2012, Utah Governor Gary R. Herbert revealed that the Utah Data Center would be the "first facility in the world expected to gather and house a yottabyte". Since then, conflicting media reports have also estimated our storage capacity in terms of zettabytes and exabytes. While the actual capacity is classified for NATIONAL SECURITY REASONS, we can say this: The Utah Data Center was built with future expansion in mind and the ultimate capacity will definitely be "alottabytes"!

Data Center, Utah

I'd expect within the next couple years we see net neutrality take a dive, and the NSA's data collection will continue. Twitter misinformation? Thats funny as hell, most of the misinformation on twitter comes from the mouths of fed accounts or fed operated "troll bots". These accounts are too easy to spot. Keep your eyes out for a avatar image that looks like a playboy model, and general government shilling tweets coming from them. Everyone on the internet is a beautiful woman right?

Don't fall victim to the COINTELPRO, fellow ATSers.
edit on 26-8-2014 by AnonyMason because: sp/grm

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
For all current available leaks check here : NSA .info parody site

link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

Aren't they so COMICALLY horrible at doing ANYTHING covertly? I thought Carter was sloppy BUT this is beyond dumb.
Of course MISINFORMATION translates into CONSPIRACY THEORIST lately anyway so they can stop it.

link   
What does anyone want to bet that none of our this stuff gets lost like Lois Lerner's, but wait, they never lost that did they?

Why can't they just divert some of these funds to recover her correspondence?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Sounds like they are going to track thought crimes.
Next step.... Jailing people for thought crimes.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

First thing that came to my mind when I read this article was..

And we all know what happened to brother Johnny.

This new database doesn't surprise me in the least. A government that is feeling so threatened by it's own citizens generally resolves it's anxiety by further spying and control measures. This is simply more proof TPTB are afraid.

edit on 937pm1010pm42014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

IMO, yes and no. If it wasnt for Edward Snowden leaking to the Guardian most of this would probably still be under wraps. But, since PRISM and other programs were exposed to the media a lot of watchdogs have now stepped up their 'watching'. The NSA and its fellow alphabet agencies are under the microscope. So you can imagine that whenever a new internet based program is launched there will be someone who's all over it and leaks it to the press.

This machine supports whistleblowers
. I love em.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join