It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ferguson.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hi.

To begin I want to send my condolences to Michael Brown's family. It was a sad day and something that could have and should have been prevented.

My thought on the matter is if it had been reversed would this be a national event?

Situation A: A black teenager shoots and kills a white cop.

Situation B: A black cop shoots and kills a white teenager.

Hmmmm......

I don't think either of the above scenarios would create such outrage.

Why is this different? What happened in Ferguson that captured our attention?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It's different because of the protesting, the rioting, and the looting. A lot of people can not remember the LA riots or weren't alive at that time, so they have never seen anything like this in America before. It's not just American's watching either. The eyes of the world are on Ferguson and how it's being handled by both citizens, the government, and the LEO's.

If this had happened to a white guy and a bunch of white folks got together and started rioting, looting, and protesting it would draw the same amount of attention.

So it isn't really the case itself that has everyone watching... It's the after affects of it that people are watching.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

If this had happened to a white guy and a bunch of white folks got together and started rioting, looting, and protesting it would draw the same amount of attention.

When was the last time you saw 'a bunch of white folks got together and started rioting, looting, and protesting' ?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

Whats the point of this thread besides talking about a "what if"?
Why don't you wait for incident to happen and then you can make the thread about the lack of outrage.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

When was the last time you saw 'a bunch of white folks got together and started rioting, looting, and protesting' ?

I see plenty of dumbassery going on during Black Friday. So much so that it gets attention from the news. Or is that different because they are probably going to pay for it at some point before they leave?

That's not the question you originally asked though. Regardless of when the last time I saw that was, it still remains true that if they did start rioting, looting, and protesting it would be all over the news just like Ferguson. You asked why it garnered attention from everybody, and that's why.
edit on 8/18/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

You don't think a black cop shoots a white person almost as often an a white cop shoots a black person?

The point?

They are playing people for fools.

From day one they planned to bring in the National Guard. ......lmao.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Whats the point of this thread besides talking about a "what if"?
Why don't you wait for incident to happen and then you can make the thread about the lack of outrage.

I see you spending a lot of time derailing Ferguson threads. I realize there is a lot of interest in this topic and many threads already started, but maybe you should leave the moderation to the mods.

On-topic:

This entire situation reminds me more of the Cincinnati riots than the LA riots. It was the exact same situation with a white cop shooting an unarmed black teen. Somehow Ohio got through it without the Feds and without troops. This is an important event because troop, in my opinion, should never be used against a civilian population. It's down-right UnAmerican and we should NOT accept it.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

IDK, why don't you make a thread about how often a black cop shoots a white guy.
Or post the numbers in this thread if that is what this is about.
TBH, most white people seem to have the "if he was a criminal he deserved to die" mentality and I think that plays into why we don't see an outrage.
Or they are willing to take the word of the police and think he/she was in the right most the time.
and take it for what it is worth but I am as white as can be, blonde or strawberry blonde in the summer, hair blue eyes and a red beard.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

but maybe you should leave the moderation to the mods.

can I say the same about you accusing me of derailing?

I am not trying to moderate and can assure you I rarely use the alert button.
I don't like threads based on a 'what if' and i voiced it.
Thank you for your concern tho

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I agree,
When a black cop shots a white teenager the press doesn`t report the ethnicity of the people involved.The just say something like "Teen shot by police" and few people even bother to even read the story,and nobody goes searching for the name of the officer or a picture of him.i`m sure the press has tried the "white teen shot by black cop" headline and it just didn`t draw the response that they wanted,so they stopped doing it.

"Black Teen Shot by White Cop!", now thats where the money`s at, the press knows it.from past experience they know that a headline like that will bring repeat business and if a riot ensues because of it, that`s even better, they can milk the story for weeks or months.
The press knows that black communities are very emotional and easy to stir up.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
I have to agree, that the media sure loves to stir the pot. Anything to get the ratings up.
And now, with all the various types of social media, they can glob on to a story, within seconds, to spin it however they choose.

Because facts really aren't that important.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom
I've noticed over the years that the media loves to get people mad at white people.
How do you know that this 18 year old man and criminal didn't assault the cop? How do you know he didn't??? Wait for the evidence before jumping on the bandwagon.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
What captured my attention? It is the huge show of force that has come down on ferguson, I think the shooting has been an excuse for the US to show off to it's citizens the formed 'Unbeatable' militarised police. As if to say to America & the world 'Our police force is just as good n equipped as our army, Don't F##k with us'

It has also shifted the news away from Ukraine/Iraq and also Isis which were an apparent 'imminent threat' a reply to: minusinfinity

join