It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is a thigh bone not a thigh bone? When it's a rock on Mars!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Why has no one else said anything about the spanner half buried at about 7 o'clock

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I too usually dismiss all these Mars pics, but this is one of those interesting examples. I too am not convinced it couldn't be a rock, but if it is a bone it is likely not human. There even appears to be a slight angle instead of the thing being straight. I would guess it could be an arm bone as well, with the top being a shoulder joint. But those arms would stick out a little bit. It would be a funny looking creature most likely. If the typical grey aliens exist, I don't think this bone would be from them, lol. My best guess, besides a rock, is a woolly tyrannopithecus. And to save you the time, no that is not a real thing. At least not to my knowledge.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
@ Zarniwoop - looks like someone spilled their coffee on set again

@ Funbox - man, I am envious of your photoshop talents, another great (and funny) manipulation.

@ OP - That definitely looks more like a bone than a rock - Good catch.
edit on 18-8-2014 by Sublimecraft because: added comment to funbox

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I think it is a bone,I have seen many rocks which resemble things,some even resemble human faces,but this is beyond reasonable doubt to the visual inspection a BONE of some type.

I COULD be swayed but ONLY if a few people begin posting their own rocks which look like bones to the degree this particular one does,barring this event I am forced to accept that this is in fact a BONE of some type.

Oh and in case I forget to mention it,you only get to search for these "bone-rocks" in an area equivilant to the area covered by the machine taking these pictures.

You see it is not as simple as it sounds to just say it is a rock when it does not look like a rock but looks instead like a bone,you must BETRAY YOURSELF to NOT see a BONE first and a rock second.

Therefore for me it is a BONE and will remain so until someone can show me another different rock discovered under comparative circumstances which looks like a BONE.

To say it is a rock until it is proven to be a bone when it looks like a bone is dyslexic and contrived,basiclly impossible.The ASSUMPTION is that because it is surrounded by what look to be ROCKS that by proxy of its location alone it is in fact a rock,but this is presumptious,by the same balance of evidence which we use to determine that in fact this particular BONE iS surrounded by ROCKS we must also find the BONE TO BE A BONE,for we SEE the rocks and TRUST this to be fact, therefore unless we by some external means PROVE THE ROCKS WE CLAIM ARE ROCKS we must BY PROXY trust that the BONE we see is in fact a BONE and not a rock.

The fact we can identify the majority of things in the picture as rocks validates the methodology behind our assertation that the rocks are in fact rocks and means we can safely apply it to the BONE and trust our impression,

The "rocks" are rocks simply because they look like rocks and we all agree they are rocks but none of us have PROOF they are rocks and the pricippals of PROOF we apply to determine ANYTHING to be a rock MUST ALSO by proxy determine the BONE TO BE A BONE.

We could ALL simply agree it is a BONE and it becmoes a bone until the people claiming it is a rock surrounded by other rocks can PROVE any rocks at all tangibly exist,and if they do in fact come to an agreement that the things they all see are in fact rocks without tangible proof then the processes they used to come to this conclusion MUST also find the bone to be a bone.It is NOT POSSIBLE for people to see things quite so differently without encouragement via phonetics and constructural tactical language adjustments, one-offs and anomolys which do happen are eliminated from the equation by simply limiting the "chances" in effect saying that if it is possible for there to be a rock that looks that much like a bone then they must be plentiful enough to find another one while searching a comparatively sized random area.Searching the Earth for a bone looking rock will not suffice,one must find one at a MINIMUM as bone looking as this one in the same circumstantial area as the machine found this one.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The plan was, "go to the water", and we found that Gale Crater had been a lake fed by running water. Some of the "funny rocks" posted on here are probably just rocks, but if you saw that on Earth, wouldn't you think it was a fossil ? It looks like a bone, and the circles don't look natural either, although I suspect Curiosity is responsible for those. I really appreciate that NASA sends us all the pictures, although I assume they know more than they say. We're getting our money's worth out of this mission for sure! To me the turning point came when they started to announce something big, and then came back with, no,no, it's nothing. I think the UFO hush monitors got to them. Too bad, but at least we can look at stuff like this and judge for ourselves. Thanks for a great find!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You all know they call us nutters because of these threads dont you?

Thanks a lot.

This thread should be called: when a rock is not a rock? When its a rock on mars.

edit on 111pm3124up86 by whatsup86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
The "bone" looks" warped on the top. Damage from some kind of impact-to say from something not of Mars-, or other?

originally posted by: whatsup86

Thanks a lot.

This thread should be called: when a rock is not a rock? When its a rock on mars.

Well, it's worth it for this:

originally posted by: funbox

ArMaP spotted this one days ago .. he's being a bit quite about it

funbox

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
The "bone" looks" warped on the top. Damage from some kind of impact-to say from something not of Mars-, or other?

Thanks a lot.

Well, it's worth it for this:

originally posted by: funbox

ArMaP spotted this one days ago .. he's being a bit quite about it

funbox

The damage (If this is actually a fossilized bone?) could also be down to simple wear and tear and conditions that the said "bone" has endured owing to the conditions on Mars?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 19/8/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Thanks a lot.

Congratulations for denying ignorance...

May I ask why you originally decided to become a member of ATS?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
It's a Martian Space Phallus of sorts..

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

The circles are probably some of these aren't they..?

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Having looked at the picture and the surrounding area I can see what looks like burnt wood with ash. I don't know how to put pics up and circle the areas but could someone look at it. Its the area with white ash looking soil. Could this have been a fire pit.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: gspat

It looks slightly different in this image that I found. It seems to be from a different angle? Also looks to be more covered up. That's maybe just the angle though I suppose. Not as good quality as the one you posted though.

s27.postimg.org...

Taken from here.. www.nasa.gov...

(Just reading up how to embed images, but can't seem to work out how to do it from my phone).

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
This is an amazing find. Femurs of vertebrates vary widely in size, curvature and other features, particularly if they are fossils. This item, if put into a pile of them would be hard to separate from genuine femurs, at least from a casual glance at it.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Bit off topic but has Arken seen it yet?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: sosobad

Yes, Arken congratulated ArMap on the anomalies thread. That thread is used to catalog finds like this, and is there as a record of "discoveries" in these, the pioneering days of Mars exploration. The human race is very early on its Mars exploration, if you think in terms of hundreds of years in the future, and these type of threads add to that early record.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: sosobad

Seen it. Starred & flagged already.

Thanks to Armap. He found the Bone yesterday.

As I said several times: Curiosity, litterally, walk on a carpet of bones.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: gspat

have searched high and low for an annotated version of the pic and could not find one, looking at the debris and other images in the set i would say this is fairly small.

Just a guess mind.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Are these areas circled in blue showing signs of MARS soil seeping / falling into something beneath?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop
Here is a perspective shot of the anomaly. I'm going to take a stab and guess it is a few inches long at the most.

Also there is a strange looking line of circles up and to the left.

On your first pic, you circled the line of circles. I also see another near identical line of circles next to your question marks on the picture.

There are also some weird marks on the ground on the lower right corner. Are those just tracks from the rover?

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join