It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Did the Ferguson Police Get Such Sophisticated Weaponry?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: scghst1

Yup if it actually occurred like that then those officers were in the wrong and should be held accountable. No issues with that.

However, this thread is about "sophisticated military gear."

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

So if Brown beat the hell out of the officer and tried to take his gun that wouldn't justify deadly force?

That is irrelevant to this thread though.

This thread is about "sophisticated military gear" that the police have.

I am just curious as to what gear the police have that you think they shouldn't. I also pointed out that 99.9% of the equipment police have citizens can as well.

You can continue your ad hominem/strawman attacks against me and my position. I am used to it. I can see that I am not wanted in this thread. No worries.
edit on 14-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig
You mean we have these? Pics and article.

headlinedigest.com...

The mentality you are expressing is for your brotherhood, not for the sake of the Country.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Armored vehicles serve a vaild purpose in law enforcement. Hostage evacuation comes to mind.

Citizens can buy an armored vehicle if they want. Do you feel that citizens should not be able to posses armored vehicles?

When agencies start using .50cal machine guns and 20MM cannons then I will agree we have a serious problem.

So do you feel that the police would be handling the riots and unrest properly if they got rid of their armored vehicles?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
You talk just like a Cop, like you are never wrong. Previously you said we could all own this equipment.

I don't think the Police would need this equipment if they didn't start this disaster.

What also would be a plus is to use the money you are spending on Tanks and Microwave Crowd Control, could be spent on struggling families, schools and infrastructure, instead they spend it on ways to fight us, With Our F'ing $.
edit on 14-8-2014 by ugmold because: addition

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: LeatherNLace

In your opinion what gear is making the police militarized?

I think this is a fair representation of militarized police.

Personally, the police showing up dressed like this PRIOR to anything happening, is nothing more than intimidation tactics. They could have been staged at a different location that allowed for rapid deployment if needed.

Source Of Pic

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Not a bad point on the staging issue. I remember in Seoul Korea, protesting and rioting used to be rampant during the summer (may still be, IDK).

The riot police were kept in buses, a few blocks off until stuff got out of hand. Then they deployed and beat everyone up.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

An ancillary question on the equipment issue.

As a LEO, how would you rate the response of the local/county PD there in Ferguson from the start until they were relieved?

Yeah, the equipment protects the officers but should it even have risen to that level if handled differently? Did the equipment available seemingly preclude other avenues?

Your thoughts...

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

In your opinion what gear is making the police militarized?

Why are you answering my question with a question? Answer mine first.

But here is my bottom line...I think all of those things within the law enforcement's possession have their useful place; however, when tear gas, rubber bullets, stun/flash grenades, etc. are fired upon the media and indiscriminately into crowds, then that is a misuse of the weapon. Like my parents always taught me in my youth...if you can't use your weapon properly, then we are going to take it away from you...same applies to the police. If you can not understand the appropriate time and place and discretion to use the weapons given to you, then you do not deserve to have them.

Now, go back to my previous post and answer my question. No more evasiveness.

edit on 14-8-2014 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Pretty sure the police have some automatic weapons...I could be wrong but, I swear they have those fancy full auto MP5's.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I dont agree with all the military garb and weaponry either...but thought I'd metaphorically throw this into the fire...So if there are 50 protestors standing in a line....and 3 of them have pipe-nail bombs...2 have gasoline ones...the police should not be prepared until they see someone throwing one?

Or if the protestors in the back have semi auto multi-round weapons to shoot over the protestors in the front? Then should the police yell "Stop! Let us get our specialized gear on" when they START firing?

We are mad because we see the protestors as mismatched. True. Agreed. But, in defense of the cops...they never quite know who has what, how many, and what they are willing to do with it.

I think the problem lies in them instigating an offense...and not using things in DEFENSE (only). Tough call.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Don't forget NJ...

Yes, the only way I get items listed in the Original Post is if I join the military or the state police.

edit on 14-8-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

I could not honestly give a valid response on how the Ferguson PD handled the situation since I was not there.

I try as best as I can not to Monday morning quarterback.

I don't see an issue with police having the gear and equipment they do for a situation like that though.

Oh well you guys see me as a jack boot. I could not care less anymore.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Citizens can own automatic weapons too.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I lost track of your previous question. At this point I couldn't care less though.

I am not going to sit here any longer and go back forth and about the gear the police use. Especially when you throw your childish memes in the mix. I guess it is all subjective relativism anyways.

Besides was that not the topic of your thread "Where did police get all the sophisticated military gear?"

I don't have an issue with police firing tear gas and rubber bullets into a crowd of people that are throwing rocks, smashing windows, destroying private property and stealing things.

Of course I have an issue if an officer specifically and intentionally targets someone that shouldn't be target and shoots a rubber bullet at them.

I am not there and I have not seen that happen. I was simply responding about the scary military gear the police have.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I lost track of your previous question. At this point I couldn't care less though.

too busy to go back to my post on page 2, huh?

I am not there and I have not seen that happen. I was simply responding about the scary military gear the police have.

Here you go: enjoy the clear footage of LEO launching teargas at reporters at beginning.

I'll be back later with footage of LEO instigating the entire thing from start to finish...but, for now, chew on that.

If you come back...likely not....you'd rather stick your head in the sand with your LEO "brothers"

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I must be an idiot because I thought this thread was about the gear the police were using. I have said my piece on that.

I didn't realize it was just another one of many threads about what actually is happening in Ferguson.

But yes firing tear gas at those reporters appears to be wrong in that situation. I do not know what led up to it but from the video it looks like the officers were wrong.

I still don't mind police in general having tear gas though.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I must be an idiot because I thought this thread was about the gear the police were using. I have said my piece on that.

I didn't realize it was just another one of many threads about what actually is happening in Ferguson.

But yes firing tear gas at those reporters appear to be wrong in that situation. I do not know what led up to it but from the video it looks like the officers were wrong.

I still don't mind police in general having tear gas though.

AND, like I said, I don't have a problem with LEO having such gear. What I have a problem with is how they use it.

I said it in my OP. It was about how they obtained such weaponry...and subsequently it was about how I do not like the use of such weaponry and an I suggested that people encourage their representatives to outlaw it.

YOU derailed this into a question of why or why not they should have such stuff. I have given reason why.

YOU have evaded my questions (P.S.: HUGE opportunity for you to stand up for LEO...yet, you answer questions with more questions, you evade, you apparently "quit" the discussion).

One is left to wonder "Why"?

I know the answer, just as you do... The public at large is right and you (and LEO) are wrong. You are a stealer of constitutional rights; if not directly, then via apathy.

Get out of my thread, traitor.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

If you are referencing your question about why the police need this type of gear I will use what is happening in Ferguson as an example.

The potential for rioting and unrest is why the police need that type of gear.

With that said I will take my "jack boots" out of this thread.

Again thanks for the personal attacks. Very mature of you.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

If you are refrencing your question about why the police need this type of gear I will use what is happening in Ferguson as an example.

You mean a peaceful protest confronted by "Jackbooted thugs" without provocation? Then yes. Let's discuss. I realize that 2 days earlier there were a few bad apples in the crowd, but is LEO now the thought police...dispersing crowds that are acting peacefully (as constitutionally guaranteed) based upon an assumption of coming violence? I stand with the constitution, you don't sound like you are so much. Still, you have not defended the actions taken against the media...shot at, arrested, held without explanation, released without names and badge numbers of the constitutional violators...you either know what I am talking about or you should not comment without catching up with the journalist footage out there...either way, you are wrong. The Constitution of the United States of America dictates that you are.

Good night sir. Sorry for any disrespect I may have shown you.

Enough is enough!

Peace be with us all!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join