It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

Congress is entitled to do such. And to be fair, many religious groups can petition and do the opening prayer and equal representation. However, congress is not allowed to get involved with a church. If they did, then it could be construed as advocating one or another church above all others.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I would say a better response would be to tell the family that glorifying the lifestyle the man led will not be tolerated. Other than that it's in God's hands now.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I would say a better response would be to tell the family that glorifying the lifestyle the man led will not be tolerated. Other than that it's in God's hands now.

Nah, I think we should stick to not saying things like that because we aren't all mean little nasties that have fallen for the idiocy of a psychotic cult.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Nah, I think we should stick to not saying things like that because we aren't all mean little nasties that have fallen for the idiocy of a psychotic cult.

Then maybe you should not be asking to have your funeral there tough guy since they are mean little nasties.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Then maybe you should not be asking to have your funeral there tough guy since they are mean little nasties.

I never asked to have my funeral there - I'm a little confused about what gave you the idea that I did, or that I am dead.

I'm flattered that you think I'm tough.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I never asked to have my funeral there - I'm a little confused about what gave you the idea that I did, or that I am dead.

Read my post again. If you still don't know what's going on, then you simply are not capable of having a discussion with.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Read my post again. If you still don't know what's going on, then you simply are not capable of having a discussion with.

I have read it again. Perhaps you think I was going to ask to have my funeral there. Never fear - I shall not be.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The proper action should be place the decomposing human corpse into a hole, and partially fill the hole with a mix of fertilizer and soil. Then put a fruit or nut tree into the hole and totally fill the hole with a mix of fertilizer and soil. Alternately the decomposing human corpse should be cremated and the ashes spread in a vegetable garden.
By no means should a decomposing human corpse be transported here and there and put on display.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I'll never understand this kind of thing.

I went to a Catholic school. I didn't come away thinking the right way to deal with a sinner was to ostracize or punish them. If anything it was the opposite. Forgive them. Love them. Don't love the thing(s) they do, but love the person and the soul and realize that God does too.

In no way am I saying I think that God cares if someone is gay. Really, on the list of sinful acts being gay is barely a blip on the radar (if I thought it were a sin). We ALL masturbate, we ALL have coveted, we ALL have lied, most have probably stolen. There are murderers and rapists. Drug dealers, cheats and cheaters. It seems like many would have an easier time forgiving these sins that actually harm their neighbors, than forgive people who have (apparently) sinned and harmed no one. Makes no sense to me.

The thing that really gets me is the hubris in thinking we know exactly what God wants, and that somehow because we are so wise we are justified in treating our friends, family, neighbors, strangers, fellow human beings as if they were subhuman or in some way less deserving of God's love.

It's shameful. We should strive to live by the golden rule, even though it can be hard sometimes (I struggle with it all the time). We are not God's jury. We should do the best we can to be kind to one another, love the sinner and not the sin, and perhaps leave it up to someone a little more qualified to judge.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: harkna
The proper action should be place the decomposing human corpse into a hole, and partially fill the hole with a mix of fertilizer and soil. Then put a fruit or nut tree into the hole and totally fill the hole with a mix of fertilizer and soil. Alternately the decomposing human corpse should be cremated and the ashes spread in a vegetable garden.
By no means should a decomposing human corpse be transported here and there and put on display.

So you choose what's proper for other grieving people?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

No, but apparently priests do.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

This is why I stopped debating you, your mind is incapable of it. I don't hold it against you though, have a good night.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

This is why I stopped debating you, your mind is incapable of it. I don't hold it against you though, have a good night.

Imagine my utter disappointment. I'm simply beside myself with grief. You have a great evening, too.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Oh man, I'll bet Al Sharpton is going to have a field day with these........ Oh wait, it's a Black Church, he'll probably support them, but wait, its a Young Black man! But wait it's a Black Church, THEY have a right to choose, but it's a Young Gay black man, but no. . . . . *poof*

This right here shows Big bad whitey isn't the only one who can be bigoted and racist. We probably won't hear about this mainstream, but we'll sure as hell hear about a stupid wedding cake. This shows where priorities for Liberals lie. This doesn't further the agenda that only white people can be ignorant and bigoted, so they will just sweep it under the rug.

May this young man rest in peace, it's unfortunate he couldn't be sent to a better place from this church...

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Are we to assume, then, that they support lying? Murdering? Stealing? Adulterers? Coveters? Divorced people? These people are insane.

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You made some good points! When you compare all that against homosexuality, it really makes you think loving your fellow man can't even be put in that category. It's one reason I have found myself turning away from religion.

Every religion I'm aware of has been judgmental and engages in condemnation. From killing people because they don't follow their beliefs, to condemning and shunning people because they don't follow their religious ideology. All of it makes me believe religion was made for controlling the population, create conflict and hate, and to deceive people to think it was created for good. It's why more and more people are turning away from religion.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
So if people don't want to respect his religious beliefs and the principles of the church he represents. Then why would said people wish to have the service in that church?

Seems like the people were just out to stir the pot.

If that was an Islamic faith church and they were refused, nobody would think twice about it.

It sickens me that nowadays people soo happily attack others because of their beliefs and principles.

The pastor was open and honest about it. Surely If you were having a religious burial then the family should have mentioned all aspects of it upfront? Otherwise aren't they the dishonest one's, who were trying to get a pastor to do something sneakily that they knew would offend him and cause him personal troubles?

Each man is free to believe as they wish. But each church should also be given the same right and the ability to actually act by the principles they stand for.

Don't be so quick to jump on the refuser. An intelligent person would appreciate both sides of the incident and would clearly see that the pastor acted on his beliefs openly and honestly, yet the family tried to deceive him and get him to do something he would find personally and spiritually abhorrent.

The blame should lie with the deceiver and not the honest man.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
So, what we have here is a Church which exercises it's right of control over it's own private property for burial, in line with it's beliefs and core values. Due to their stubborn determination to follow what they sincerely believe to be correct, it's wrong or evil or inhuman or something?

We all agree that Islamic cemeteries must be equally compelled to accept the burial of devout Jews with no regard to how they were born or how they evolved in life too, correct? That would be consistent.

Is this about a person being denied burial in a funeral by a clash of belief with the church or is the outrage about the specific reason and point this was denied? Is it religion or is it the gay topic or are those two specific things together what make the explosive mix in society?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
All of it makes me believe religion was made for controlling the population, create conflict and hate, and to deceive people to think it was created for good. It's why more and more people are turning away from religion.

Can I have an AMEN!
It's one of the main reasons I started to doubt my religion and eventually shed it altogether.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
It is their right to deny this family the use of the church for something they disagree with.

Having a funeral? That's all they wanted to do there. It's not like they were going to have a big gay orgy. They wanted to honor the dead. Churches do that ALL the time.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Why don't they have a questionnaire for the relatives to fill out, to make sure the deceased hasn't committed any "sins" before they agree to perform the service.
Absolutely ridiculous.

If they did that, they'd have to stop having all funerals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join