It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unprecedented: German General Appointed Chief of Staff of US Army Europe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Army officials denied allegations that the appointment was a political move aimed at smoothing over US-German relations in light of revelations that the NSA spied on German citizens and Chancellor Angela Merkel.

The relationship between both countries was also strained recently when CIA double agents were found among the ranks of German intelligence officers.

Army representatives indicated that the appointment had been in the works for months as a part of a wider initiative to bring multinational cooperation into the US military.

Yup...what's next the goose stepping & fire up the ovens?

Army Times

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: BABYBULL24

This is about where I say WTF, again. Shouldn't somebody be charged with treason or subversion or something. This is just so wrong on so many levels. A man cannot serve two masters.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Interesting your link points to Ben Swan not Army Times.

In fact, over at Army Times, I could find no such article. It must be that they have a poor search function as we do in ATS.
edit on 9-8-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Interesting your link points to Ben Swan not Army Times.

In fact, over at Army Times, I could find no such article. It must be that they have a poor search function as we do in ATS.

this comes up from the link in the Ben Swan article.....

German officer to serve as U.S. Army Europe's chief of staff

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Here is a better link
www.stripes.com...
edit on 9-8-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I would like to think that the appointment is the US Army slapping the NSA/CIA in the face.

Political move or otherwise, the US Army has always valued Allied local area knowledge. Strategically, in my opinion, I see this as strengthening the US military as a whole - and is in keeping with a similar appointment by the US military in the pacific region recently.

The appointment of non-US officers to lead US troops is not new - although the appointment of Chief of Staff would be the highest so far.

Australian General appointed U.S. Army Pacific's deputy commander for operations

bigstory.ap.org...

Q: As a current serving member of the US military, would you accept an order from your US Commander to henceforth obey all commands from say a German, or Australian General - appointed by the US Military?

edit on 9-8-2014 by Sublimecraft because: Fixed first link to direct to correct ATS thread from 2013

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot over!!!

Why would US troops need to be under the command of non US personnel?

Why would the US military need multinationalism?

This is what is termed "batsh.t crazy" where I come from.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
It is almost like ATS exists in a void where history is a foriegn concept. Allied officers have served in many positions in US military commands, at times in command of US troops. Although in this case this is not a command job just an administrative position. Something that has been popular with US and NATO forces and with other US allies as well. I always wonder if people forget the Deputy Commander of NORAD is Canadian, that a British General was in charge of all US land forces in Operation Overloard, that the Republic of Korea – United States Combined Forces Command deputy commander is a South Korean General. I could go on and on. And those are command positions. Not staff positions like the one we are talking about this time. Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
It is almost like ATS exists in a void where history is a foriegn concept. Allied officers have served in many positions in US military commands, at times in command of US troops.

Also US officers have served as commanders of foreign troops.... but apparently the reverse is not ok....

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

"Q: As a current serving member of the US military, would you accept an order from your US Commander to henceforth obey all commands from say a German, or Australian General - appointed by the US Military?"

I would not be able to trust that I was serving the strategic goals of America if I were serving someone that is seeking the strategic goals of their own people.

This is why Russian soldiers dont follow Ukrainian commands. A general from another country will use other peoples soldiers as fodder, saving their own from dangerous operations.

Who would you send to their deaths needlessly, your own children or the guy down the street you never even met?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

It is almost like ATS exists in a void where history is a foriegn concept. Allied officers have served in many positions in US military commands, at times in command of US troops. Although in this case this is not a command job just an administrative position. Something that has been popular with US and NATO forces and with other US allies as well. I always wonder if people forget the Deputy Commander of NORAD is Canadian, that a British General was in charge of all US land forces in Operation Overloard, that the Republic of Korea – United States Combined Forces Command deputy commander is a South Korean General. I could go on and on. And those are command positions. Not staff positions like the one we are talking about this time. Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

That is not true. Ike was in overall command of all allied forces, not a British general officer. A US commander was in command of US and allied forces. The orders might have been handed down by a Brit, but they were penned by an American.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Easy solution,

Get out of Europe, saves your tax dollars, saves EU tax dollars (cost us money to have you there....disgusting as Im sure you would agree if the roles were reversed).

Everyone is happy (apart from the US govt, but really, who gives a damn about them?

US army EUROPE????? what the chuff is that? We have our own army thanks. The US really needs to get its troops out of other countries. I know the govts agree to this but the people here just grow a hatred for it. Not good for EU and US relations at a people level.

edit on 9-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: oblvion
a reply to: Sublimecraft
I would not be able to trust that I was serving the strategic goals of America if I were serving someone that is seeking the strategic goals of their own people.

Hah! I'll let you think about what you just said and let it sink in.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
This looks like the kicker

The relationship between both countries was also strained recently when CIA double agents were found among the ranks of German intelligence officers.

OP Army Times Link

The General will have a staff position. Staff Officers don't command troops directly.

Situation is similar to Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery commanding the 21st Army Group at the end of World War II. Montgomery told the American Generals what the plan was, and our generals gave the orders.

By The Way, Germany is the only European Power that never put down a colonial uprising.

edit on 9-8-2014 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I welcome NWO. Obviously we are unable to put forth any actual effort.

That's all we need, a little effort. Imagine the possibilities.

:/ we are so weak right now. Drivin by the lies.

I just want to stay asleep.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

That is not true. Ike was in overall command of all allied forces, not a British general officer. A US commander was in command of US and allied forces. The orders might have been handed down by a Brit, but they were penned by an American.

Ike was over all commander of allied forces europe. Monty was commander of all allied land forces during Normandy. He was the commander on the ground and gave the orders on the ground, he was not just sitting around waiting for Ike to write orders to hand out. Those orders were issued to complete an overall plan approved by Ike but, Ike was not on the ground giving orders. And the point is moot anyway as US forces always have an American in charge somewhere up the chain of command. Americans have often fought under allied commanders and American have often commanded allied forces. In both cases those forces all have a commander from thier home county up the chain of command. Of course in the case of the OP we are just talking about a staff position not a command one.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Congratulations to the German People and the General. They have a pretty together military and always have. It's really about time. Hope he has a good tour, and a quite one, but realistically ? Talk about getting a promotion at the worst possible time. Well, the guys probably up to it. As long as he's not an IDIOT like Wesley Clark!

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BABYBULL24
Yup...what's next the goose stepping & fire up the ovens?

Just to say your comment is poorly judged and bad taste. You probably thought it was clever, but it was not.

To the root of the OP. Why is this bad if the aim is to improve inter-nation cooperation on the ground.

Regards

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops
Easy solution,

Get out of Europe, saves your tax dollars, saves EU tax dollars (cost us money to have you there....disgusting as Im sure you would agree if the roles were reversed).

Everyone is happy (apart from the US govt, but really, who gives a damn about them?

US army EUROPE????? what the chuff is that? We have our own army thanks. The US really needs to get its troops out of other countries. I know the govts agree to this but the people here just grow a hatred for it. Not good for EU and US relations at a people level.

I so wish we would just bring all our guys home, and GTFO of other folks lands.
We(the US) have no business keeping a standing ARMY for geopolitical propoganda or force projection needs in any other country on earth.

We have by far the biggest, most powerful Navy ever assembled. If we needed to bring war to any corner of the globe, we could do so.

I say we bring all our guys home, and let the rest of you guys sort out your differences on your own.

Just my 2 cents, ignoring it is probably the best option. I am nobody to decide these things for entire continents and countries.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Ike was over all commander of allied forces europe. Monty was commander of all allied land forces during Normandy. He was the commander on the ground and gave the orders on the ground, he was not just sitting around waiting for Ike to write orders to hand out. Those orders were issued to complete an overall plan approved by Ike but, Ike was not on the ground giving orders. And the point is moot anyway as US forces always have an American in charge somewhere up the chain of command. Americans have often fought under allied commanders and American have often commanded allied forces. In both cases those forces all have a commander from thier home county up the chain of command. Of course in the case of the OP we are just talking about a staff position not a command one.

You suck so bad. It is next to impossible to argue against your stance on most issues.

You infuriate me at times.

You are right though.....bastard.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join