It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The term Genocide used to describe the Palestine conflict.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
In today's world we use the word genocide when describing world events where people are killed wholesale. It was my mistake to think we have cheapened the word genocide because we don't really understand it's meaning. I was clearly wrong it was that I didn't quite understand it's meaning. The word "genocide" was formed by combining geno-, from the Greek word for race or tribe, with -cide, derived from the Latin word for killing." There is plenty of this going around all over the world today.

The UN adopted the phrase in 1948 and approved the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. "This convention establishes "genocide” as an international crime, which signatory nations “undertake to prevent and punish.” It defines genocide as:

"[G]enocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

Genocide was first used as a description during the Nuremberg trials in conjunction with "Crimes against humanity" because genocide was not yet a legal term. The first conviction of genocide was 1998 against Jean-Paul Akayesu a mayor in Rwanda and now serving a life sentence in Mali.

What made me look into this was the ongoing thread battles over the conflict in Palestine with Israel and members using it in every other sentence with word murder in describing the deaths of Palestinians by Israeli military. I felt the word was being over used but as you can see by the definition it is not. What is being overused is the concept that this is the intent of Israel, I don't believe that to be true when clearly they have the power to remove Palestine from their vision in short order.

What remains to be open to discussion is if that is ever possible without a emotion driven fervor present in today's threads is, can this be resolved peaceably without further loss of innocent lives. Right now that doesn't appear to be the case.

The ultimate irony is the use of the word genocide by Hamas/Palestinian supporters in this conflict to describe the deaths of innocents in Palestine when the word was created by a Polish Jew. Source

The UN needs to do its job and get involved in sorting this mess out equitably for both sides. With that the world courts can decide if Israeli genocide is prosecutable by the UN.

One of the things I so like about ATS is the ongoing education i get when something seems out of place.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
The only term I can use is the following :

MURDERERS ON BOTH SIDES :

Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human, and generally this premeditated state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter).

As the loss of a human being may inflict grief upon the individuals close to the victim, and the commission of a murder is highly detrimental to the good order within society, most societies both present and in antiquity have considered it a most serious crime worthy of the harshest of punishment. In most countries, a person convicted of murder is typically given a long prison sentence, possibly a life sentence where permitted, and in some countries, the death penalty may be imposed for such an act – though this practice is becoming less common.

More here on Wiki : en.wikipedia.org...

Murdering bastards on both sides... Bastards... And even the term "Bastard" is too polite for for the "terrorists on BOTH sides"

Right... ready for the Shill responses now... you know... those people that have been here for a long time but only come out when this type of sad conflict arises to pay for their studies!... SICK...

Kindest and saddest respects

Rodinus
edit on 8/8/14 by Rodinus because: Link added

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

MURDER... On both sides.

Bastards... And even the term "Bastard" is too polite for for the "terrorists on BOTH sides"

Right... ready for the Shill responses now... you know... those people that have been here for a long time but only come out when this type of sad conflict arises to pay for their studies!... SICK...

Rodinus

Its so refreshing to see others on ATS recognising that BOTH sides are as bad as each other.

Taking sides in this is exactly what tptb want. I thought more ATS members would realise this but alas not.

(post by Rodinus removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

I saw someone earlier claim we are cheapening the word by using it in regard to palestinians. I suspect many people dont understand it and think you have to kill off everyone in a group.

You could let them all live, but sliwly restrict their lives causing less births and efficently end a race.

There is zero doubt that Israel is committing genocide agaibst the Palestinian people. Even between operations in a hundred years the Palestinian culture and people may be gone.

I honestly dont see how you can learn the definition of tge word and not yhink its Israels intent. They have them caged in and restricted food. Tgis leads ti decisions for smaller familes and eventually slower birth rate and genocide. As long as Israel oppresses Palestinians tgis way between operations that kill thousands (and hundreds of children - the next gen - 438 dead in a month) they are axtively commiting genocide. Yoy dont seem to have learned much or applied all the reality to your new definition.

edit on 8-8-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Good on you for educating yourself and being able to present a fact to those who would not know.
Knowledge is power.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Israel are no better than the Nazi, SS and Gestapo scum that decimated there own people during the second world war!

Have the Jewish people learned nothing? So sad!

edit on 8-8-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

that decimated there own people during the second world war!

Definition, past participle:

kill one in every ten of (a group of people, originally a mutinous Roman legion) as a punishment for the whole group.

Deci as in Decimal as in base 10. Words are important, just saying

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Well said. Genocide is like pesticide. Everyone with any sense knows that it is impossible to wipe out termites and ants.

The only people that don't seem to understand this are military.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Lucky we don't have to be literal to get our point across. It may be under estimation or hyperbole, but the point is gotten across in a non statistical layman's way.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

That's what you took from my previous post, that words are important? Actions speak louder than words, and Israel's actions regarding Gaza recently say it all i'm afraid!

I'm well aware of the entomology of the word "decimate" thanks, I think it applies perfectly to the situation transpiring.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

MURDERERS ON BOTH SIDES :

Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human, and generally this premeditated state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter).

As the loss of a human being may inflict grief upon the individuals close to the victim, and the commission of a murder is highly detrimental to the good order within society, most societies both present and in antiquity have considered it a most serious crime worthy of the harshest of punishment. In most countries, a person convicted of murder is typically given a long prison sentence, possibly a life sentence where permitted, and in some countries, the death penalty may be imposed for such an act – though this practice is becoming less common.

More here on Wiki : en.wikipedia.org...

Murdering bastards on both sides... Bastards... And even the term "Bastard" is too polite for for the "terrorists on BOTH sides"

Rodinus

No shill from me, I couldn't agree more both sides have devalued death to an all time low.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: g146541
Good on you for educating yourself and being able to present a fact to those who would not know.
Knowledge is power.

Thanks very much, for the kind words.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Israel are no better than the Nazi, SS and Gestapo scum that decimated there own people during the second world war!

Have the Jewish people learned nothing? So sad!

This in my opinion is why it is the ultimate irony, to have the same word created by a Polish Jew against themselves.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The nation of Israel is well armed...by whom?
America won't interfere in the Israel/Palestine conflict,
or the 'genocide' of law-abiding citizens south of our borders by cartels and gangs,
but we will bomb the *%#* out of Iraq to 'protect' their people.

Is America racist? How else can I understand the protection of one group of people, while we stand by and watch the annihilation of others?

The world seems to view death as the best avenue to achieve 'peace'. Unless there is a global reset in mankind's thought process,and soon, there will be a planetary reset of mankind.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
The nation of Israel is well armed...by whom?
America won't interfere in the Israel/Palestine conflict,
or the 'genocide' of law-abiding citizens south of our borders by cartels and gangs,
but we will bomb the *%#* out of Iraq to 'protect' their people.

Is America racist? How else can I understand the protection of one group of people, while we stand by and watch the annihilation of others?

The world seems to view death as the best avenue to achieve 'peace'. Unless there is a global reset in mankind's thought process,and soon, there will be a planetary reset of mankind.

Yes! When you think about it what we are saying is "We are going to have to kill a few thousand people so the rest will understand the value of life." If I may reinterpret what you are saying. Great observation.
edit on 8-8-2014 by MarlinGrace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I tip my hat of respect to you Marlin. Thank you for this post.
edit on 9-8-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Not Authorized

I tip my hat of respect to you Marlin. Thank you for this post.

Thanks very much

new topics

top topics

join