It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world in upheaval 3000 B.C.E

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
This very long article takes ancient folk lore from many places all over the world that have a common theme.. For those who do not believe in ancient aliens it is still a good read IMO about the climate change and the great flood that is in many of the religious books. I found some of the widely dispersed populations with the same stories about the bringer of civilization fascinating.. Maybe some of you will too.

Climate change and flooding:

The Quelccaya Ice Cap, in the high Andes Mountains in Peru, is the largest glaciated region in the tropics and Lonnie Thompson, Professor of geological sciences at Ohio State, who conducted scientific research there, made the discovery that something had abruptly happened, around 5,200 years ago, and that it influenced climate over a large area. Research at other Ice Caps, around the world, have produced similar results .El Nino is a cyclical meteorological event in which a rise in the Pacific surface temperature has drastic effects on world weather and scientists have discovered that there was a major El Nino around 5,000 years ago. River Deltas began to form in different parts of the world .The present level of the Nile valley, for example, is thought to date to that time. (1) The North African eco system collapsed and the Meidob volcano in Sudan erupted. According to researcher/ scholar Thor Heyerdahl, ‘ a geological catastrophe took place in the Atlantic’ ‘ great enough to split Iceland’ (2) and in a worldwide review of raised beaches, submerged forests, and other evidence, indicates that ‘a date close to 3100 b.c.e is favoured by the sea level evidence.’ (3)

www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Awesome post, I love reading things like this!

S&F OP.

The timeframe of 3100 BCE is interesting because it coincides with other stories of the deluge dating to around that same time. A lot of scholars place it somewhere between 2000-3000 BCE, so this is intriguing.

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Most excellent article my friend....and kudos to you for digging it up and posting.....

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Speaking of sea levels and water, the talk about climate change and water is the basis for the theory of the new Sphinx dates.

youtu.be...

Also at 17:15
www.youtube.com...

Thread on it - more than 12,000 years old:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So the catastrophe could be what changed the climate and conditions in Egypt 3000 years ago might explain a lot compared to when it was built.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

this correlates with that timeline www.youtube.com...=P-HI7y37BOg

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Graham Hancock's Flooded Kingdoms Of The Ice Age:

-MM
edit on 7-8-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Excellent article thanks. There was a ~2006 study of sediment deposits in Madagascar which they believe was created by a massive 600 foot tsunami around 3000 B.C which may have killed 1/4 the earths population. The study suggests that the tsunami may have been caused by an asteroid impact. Link

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
Excellent article thanks. There was a ~2006 study of sediment deposits in Madagascar which they believe was created by a massive 600 foot tsunami around 3000 B.C which may have killed 1/4 the earths population. The study suggests that the tsunami may have been caused by an asteroid impact. Link

Great link. I noticed that the impact was almost 5,000 years ago. I wonder if that might very well be the source for all of the flood myths.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Yes its very possible. Another link talks about relationship of the same comet strike to flood myth. I have read reports most of india was flooded at around the same time which they believed may have been caused by volcanic activity (changed course of their river systems) so the comet theory might just be one of many scenario's that affected earth climates at the time (perhaps a large asteroid impact can cause a rise in volcanic activity who knows).

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

a reply to: NavyDoc

Yes its very possible. Another link talks about relationship of the same comet strike to flood myth. I have read reports most of india was flooded at around the same time which they believed may have been caused by volcanic activity (changed course of their river systems) so the comet theory might just be one of many scenario's that affected earth climates at the time (perhaps a large asteroid impact can cause a rise in volcanic activity who knows).

I would think that such a catastrophe was not possible without imprinting itself on the psyche of the survivors and the timing is right.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
If the timing and cause is correct, then getting slammed is a more common occurrence than was once generally thought.

There is also the one from 10,000 bce... this one we're dicussing... another from the "dark ages" around 1500 yrs ago.

The one from 12,000 yrs ago has meteoric residue that's been found and is thought to have had a hand in the mega fauna of N.A. going kaput (and left broad fields of twisted, smashed bones along the coastal ranges of Alaska and perhaps Siberia's Kamchatka Peninsula).

I'm not sure about the Dark Ages being meteoric or volcanic in cause, but the tree ring data suggest a world wide darkening.

And then there are the famous ones from millions years bce... poor Earth.

I was leaning towards the 12,000 bce event as causing the flood myths... but this more (relatively) recent date makes a little more sense in several respects.

I assume the resident historians shall arrive to set us straight soon... but I vote this as a definite "maaaay-be."

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma I'm not sure about the Dark Ages being meteoric or volcanic in cause, but the tree ring data suggest a world wide darkening.

A lot of people believe that was caused by an eruption at Krakatoa.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Great link. I noticed that the impact was almost 5,000 years ago. I wonder if that might very well be the source for all of the flood myths.

Yeah I had the same thoughts. Something big happened 4000-500 years ago as nearly every culture has some sort of flood myth. Something happened that involved flooding or a tsunami.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Why is this under aliens and ufos?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
For those who do not believe in ancient aliens...

Wait a minute....people don't believe in Ancient Aliens? Where have these people been living, under a 3rd grade science textbook?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLegend

Because of the "Bringer of Knowledge" type story that runs throughout the past history of many societies according to the article. Which is also a common thread with the ancient alien stories. Also I did not know where else to place it ?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Bringer of Knowledge is one of my favorite memes in tribal legends.

The stories appear everywhere.

Watch especially for references to unknown artifacts and devices for communication and transportation, couched in the relatively limited vocabulary of hunter/gatherer societies. The 'talking stick that reached to the sky and gave orders' to the Bringer of Knowledge of the prehistoric Mexican people may well have featured other interesting details, had the words been present to describe it through the ages until now.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The Sumerian Kings List actually says that the Flood happened after Eridu's flourishing and that Kish held the first post-diluvial dynasty. Archaeology shows that there was no significant occupation of Eridu after the Uruk period, and Kish was not a major city until the Jemdet Nasr period.

Thusly, the Sumerian tradition has the date fixed between 3000 and 2900BC. Very small margin.

As to your ideas of ancient aliens, there is nothing supporting it in Sumerian-Babylonian worldview. When they say something like 'kingship came from the heavens', how could they mean space? They believed that the sky was a solid dome held up by a 'range of mountains that ring the earth' and its surrounding sea. Consider also the Babylonian mathematical texts which claim that it is "19 miles from the Moon to the Pleiades" and so on.

If they had actually been visited by some extraterrestrial race so advanced they developed space flight and some means of surviving for light-years of travel, you'd think they wold have better knowledge of the universe and better means of defending themselves. I mean, the Sumerians got wiped out, after all.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I don't like the term ancient 'aliens' the theory is great but i believe what we call ALIENS are really the more advanced civilizations from loooong ago. Perhaps like the Atlantians, It wouldn't be right calling other earthlings aliens would it? Hard to explain but I hope I'm making sense lol.

Aside from that, the Hopi(Native Americans) also tell stories of the flood. It was told that during the flood they lived underground with assistance from the 'ant people' who taught them how to grow food and live underground. I thought that was interesting

edit on 8-8-2014 by 6Taco6Smell6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
From the OP's linked article:

According to the Sumerian scribes, the Flood was caused by certain divine beings called the Annunaki, or Annanage (‘The Shining Ones’), who, many alternative scholars believe were aliens.

While true that the Anunnaki caused the Sumerian flood to happen (due to humans being so noisy,) the author calls them, "the shining ones" in error.

"The Shining Ones" phrase originates from the Pyramid Texts and refers to the dead, not to any gods, though the gods were themselves described as shining in some spots in the same texts.

Glory is shiny.

The article does contain some decent facts, though they are unfortunately linked by the author where no link is apparent (he states Osiris as the "civilizer of man," who saved humans from the flood and was supposedly the same as Enki and the Dogon Lebe - there was no Dogon or Egyptian flood myth. )
Lebe (Lebe Seru) is the object of only one of three schools of thought in the Dogon religion. He was the first Dogon, and the cult associated with this belief associates themselves with agriculture.

Too much tripe in there to go much farther. It doesn't profit me to read and re-read the various fringe claims I already know by harte.

At least the author states above that "...many alternate scholars believe..." and doesn't directly state the claim as if it were fact.

I'd like to add that it is no surprise that "civilizer" myths are associated with agriculture, since agriculture is a necessary prerequisite for civilization.

Harte

edit on 8/10/2014 by Harte because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join