It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Definitely Not Regular BS, These Taste Great!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Just had to see what BS I am talking about…

BRUSSEL SPROUTS

I have always said YUCK 100% to Brussel Sprouts

I know they are supposed to be so healthy for you. healthyeating.sfgate.com...

I have always been served little green balls steaming in water that smelled to me awful.
I went to a restaurant recently and was served Brussel sprouts in a whole new way and absolutely loved them. They were split in two lengthwise

and sautéed.

I was so shocked that I actually liked them I went home and started experimenting. Well I have come up with a recipe I love, my family loves, and yes my guinea pig friends now love. Yes I did not mention what vegetable I was serving until it was served. They all said my recipe was a keeper! So if you are BRAVE
and willing to try something new let me know if you now like BS…

My Recipe

Sautéed Brussel Sprouts
(You will never say you hate Brussel Sprouts Again)

Ingredients:
2 lb. Fresh Medium to Small Brussel Sprouts
10-14 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
1/4 -1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-3 cubes of Chicken or Beef Bouillon Cubes crushed (depending on what meat you are serving)
2 T Butter melted
2 T Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Mix together Olive Oil, Butter, Sugar, Bouillon Cubes (smash them), Garlic, Salt, & Pepper. Set aside.
2. Cut Brussel Sprouts in half lengthwise.
3. Mix the Brussel Sprouts & Olive Oil Mixture together well.
4. Place coated Brussel Sprouts in skillet greased with a little olive oil flat cut side down to start out.
5. Let sauté until the flat side browns slightly and turn. Brown slightly the other side.
6. Serve Hot with a meal, savory, yummy, nutty flavor.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

I may have to try that. The recent Brussels sprouts experiment cooked was a failure.

Thanks!!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
You can also chop them in half, but sea salt and oil on them...and ROAST them...In the oven . Yummy

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I may give it a try. I like most vegetables, but the best brussel sprouts I've ever had were barely edible. I believe they were boiled. The worst I've ever had were pickled. It tasted like a gutter wino farted in my mouth.

I like cabbage and spinach raw or sauteed, but I can't stomach either of them boiled.
Boiling seems to release sulfurous compounds in brussels and cabbage and gives spinach the texture of pond slime.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
You can always sautéed them with bacon...everything's better with bacon

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I am laughing
you sound just like me before I tried them this new way.
I still do not like cooked spinach (pond slime) but love raw fresh spinach in a salad.
If you are BRAVE and try this let me know what you think.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Will try this roasting method now that I have new BS Courage

And yes don't get me started on shhh... Bacon (love it, love it) I hear the ATS bacon watchers lurk about

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
From what I've read, they are very good for you. They have compounds that seem to have strong anti cancer properties.
Overcooking seems to be what releases the sulfurous compounds that make them taste bad.
I'll give them another chance.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I love brussel sprouts so much! I usually steam them with garlic and butter, even as a kid id eat a whole bowl of them just plain steamed. My kids wont touch them though, maybe if i try this for them they will, iv only ever steamed them so this should be good to try thanks for posting

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I hated them until my husband's uncle served me some roasted ones. Wow.

I've since experimented and I prefer roasting them. I have discovered that to make them truly enjoyable one must use generous amounts of salt. One cooking blog suggested treating roasted brussels sprouts like you would french fries in regards to the amount of salt. It does make a huge difference.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Try them roasted in the oven. Lots less work. Cut them in half and mix with cut-up potatoes, onion, garlic cloves (whole), mushrooms and baby carrots and put it all in a large roasting pan. Drizzle generously with olive oil and add seasonings: Sea salt, ground black pepper, basil, oregano, chipotle pepper and LOTS of rosemary. Stir to coat. Bake @ 400 for one hour, stirring well every 20 minutes.

You will die!

Of course, adding bacon, ham chunks or smoked sausage in the last 20 minutes makes it even more drool-worthy and a complete meal.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
op

try benevolent herotic's recipe and let us know how it tastes and what parts you added/didn't add.

will be waiting for your answer.
edit on 6-8-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Why don't you try it??? LOL

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Been doing this for years, cooked any other way they are "ammunition food".

For another take spring peas and fry them with onions till they are browned an begin popping out of the fry pan. It's AMAZING!
edit on 6-8-2014 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

not that brave.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Thanks all for all your tempting ideas. Yes roasting sounds good. I think I will be eating a lot of BS, even some popping peas, and yes shhh… BACON .
When I try them I will let you know and ya’ll please do the same.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Check this out.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

LOL!! Indeed it is.
Yummy Yummy Bacon.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I was in the same boat as most people who thought that brussel's sprouts were the nastiest things ever, and like many have said, my mother always steamed them. My sister and father equally hated them. Last christmas I saw them sitting on the counter waiting to be cooked for christmas dinner. As my mom ran around the kitchen like a chicken with her head cut off, I said, "Mum, lemme help. I'll cook the brussel's sprouts." She said fine just don't ruin them. I sauteed them and served them with (a LOT) of browned butter and sage. They were gone even before the prime rib.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Take your sauteed sprouts and add a half cup cream, cover and let simmer for a few minutes and OMG you have something that is fit for the Ghods!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join