It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TDawgs Breakfast Burritos. Warning! Not safe for those with a sensitive tummy!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Just something that is quick, easy and filling.

Ingredients:

A slice of whole ham 1/4 inch thick (Idon't like the processed stuff)
4-6 slices of Hickory smoked bacon (I'm lucky as I got the ham and bacon from the same pig)
One small yellow onion
Three medium sized jalapenos
2 eggs whipped
And cheese of your choice
And of course one tortilla (Fajita sized)

Chop the Ham, Bacon, Onion and Jalapenos into small chunks and put them in a small pan and fry them over med heat. Prep the eggs in the meantime. Pour the eggs into the mix and stir until thoroughly scrambled together.(BTW, it doesn't look pretty)

The first mix.

And the second, after adding the eggs and cheese and tabasco.

Now everything is in the Pyrex ready for the oven. Baked at 300 for 15 minutes covered in foil Add some more cheese halfway through the bake uncovered.

And the final result. Nom, Nom, Nom...

Not a pretty meal, but tasty and filling. Then again, when is a bowl of oatmeal pretty or really tasty?
Warning! This one is for those with a spicy palate (And possibly no significant other).

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Gee, thanks Rex! Now I'm drooling on my keyboard at work! :-D Cool recipe, I'm going to try it sometime soon. Thanks for sharing, bud!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Looks DAMN tasty. I think I'll substitute hot Italians sausage for the ham though.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I'm a big fan of Hot Italian sausage. I might have to try that next time. I've been accused of doing the Italian/Mexican fusion every time I make spaghetti. LOL. I even grind it up and put it in my beans )Slow cooked) when I make them. That's a meal unto itself.

What can I say, I like spicy foods.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Many good ideas in this thread.
We do breakfast burritos quite often as it was the first meal the wife and I had.. wink wink!
But what we do is more akin to a burrito bar where we prep all sorts of crap and add what we want.
We.. or I prefer the super sizes tortillas I get from a local market here, they are around 16 inches across!
I know I should just make my own tortillas but that is one thing grandma just could not teach these fumbling hands how to do...mine always end up bland, cracking and crumbly...
Many options in this arena and all good.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Just lookin' back at the Headline. I can't believe I used the word "tummy". I must be slipping.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

My family had the same tradition. We called it the "Mexican Mess Meal", (No racism involved), but the entire counter was filled with all sorts of topping to put into your taco, burrito or what have you. The problem was integrating the leftovers into the next meal. That's were "Dad's Breakfast Special" came into play and there was no more choice. It all went together into a large skillet with eggs & diced potatoes and always came out just fine. Even family members who had sensitive stomachs chowed it down.

It never came out the same way twice though, but it was always delicious!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I'm there Dawg

Just gonna add spicy salami as well .................... and maybe a a few chestnut mushrooms.

Thanks man

Cody

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

That looks and sounds delicious! I'm in New Mexico and Mexican food is my favorite! I love it HOT! I'd have to slap a hot green chile on top, though.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Ok...skip the yellow onion, go with white vadellia because it accents the jalepeno.

where in your pics are the cilantro/ bacon bit/ sprigs of cheese for the topper?? [for your most artistic guests who won't eat unless it 'looks pretty']

White vadellia if you are serving guests who don't like spice. It blends and ups the spice factor with jalepeno.

Have you ever made 'wet burritos'?? Michigan favorite....similar to what you have there.

eta... did you use cheddar or colby jack? Steak instead of ham....YUMS!! coly jack blends it together in an oven [onions and jalepeno]
sharp cheddar for fresh [like tacos] , I can't stand it in my burritos.

Had a latino born and raised teach me the difference in onions and it truly DOES make a difference.

Dude, you made me hungry!!

PM me a GOOD recipe for salsa...HOMADE...

edit on 4-8-2014 by palmalBlue2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: palmalBlue2

Ok...skip the yellow onion, go with white vadellia because it accents the jalepeno.

where in your pics are the cilantro/ bacon bit/ sprigs of cheese for the topper?? [for your most artistic guests who won't eat unless it 'looks pretty']

White vadellia if you are serving guests who don't like spice. It blends and ups the spice factor with jalepeno.

Have you ever made 'wet burritos'?? Michigan favorite....similar to what you have there.

I love vadellia onions, but I like them raw, rather than cooked, I think that cooking them takes the taste out. As a raw topper I think they would be great (skipping the yellows of course) I'm going to have to try that.

I used to eat Vadellia onions like a apple, which of course drove my ex crazy as I chased her around the house lookin' for a kiss.

Lots of cool ideas here. But having grown up a tad in Wisconsin, I have to ask...what the hell is a sprig of cheese?

And I used chedder, though I have also used Colby and Pepper Jack in the past and yes the meat is interchangeable, but must mix well. (Bacon mixes with EVERYTHING!
)

I'm debateing using a horseradish cheese the next time around, though that may be a bit overpowering. I'm pretty sure I would like it, but every one else? Maybe not so much.
edit on 4-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I have a breakfast burrito recipe where you make a sauce of pureed black beans mixed with the pickle brine out of pickled jalapenos and the adobo out of a can of chipotles to taste.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Double post?
edit on 4-8-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
Just lookin' back at the Headline. I can't believe I used the word "tummy". I must be slipping.

You also said
"I'm a big fan of Hot Italian sausage"

LOL

ok, a school boy still lurks inside me

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I contacted a friend. He likes this too.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

You also said
"I'm a big fan of Hot Italian sausage"

LOL

ok, a school boy still lurks inside me

That...is...oh...so...wrong.

But funny. I did set myself up for that didn't I?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

I'm a big fan of Hot Italian sausage. I might have to try that next time. I've been accused of doing the Italian/Mexican fusion every time I make spaghetti. LOL. I even grind it up and put it in my beans )Slow cooked) when I make them. That's a meal unto itself.

What can I say, I like spicy foods.

Nope!! Doesn't mix. hot italian does NOT do good with Mexican food!. [fast cooked] Don't know about the slow cooked with beans, but you might be better off with a mild and not hot if you are gonna do slow cooked and serve folks who don't like spicy.

LOL...... "what the hell is a sprig of cheese?"
A sprig of is.............that green shiite that they serve next to your perfectly good steak at an expensive steak house.

What is horshradish cheese?? That sounds good with a beer batter fish... what is it? Mayo based???

You are making me hungry and lets not start about hot italian sausage..... damn you

OOPS.... just realized........ if that bad boy isn't going in the oven, then put the grated cheese on at the last minute of the stove top, and THEN put it in the tortilla.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

You are making me hungry and lets not start about hot italian sausage..... damn you

Actually that was me.
And you're right. You have to cook sausage longer than ham.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Actually that was me.
And you're right. You have to cook sausage longer than ham.

I married an Italain and yep, gotta cook them longer

My Italian in-laws owned a hugely successful steakhouse in PA, master chef was from Mexico. He taught us alot that we could not incorporate into our menu, but WOW he could cook some MEAN Italian and serve the best steaks!!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: palmalBlue2

Nope, Horseradish cheese is your normal white cheddar with horseradish mixed in during the making. Good stuff! It does come out a bit soft, nothing like brie though.

I see that you keep taking up for the folk that don't/can't stomach the spicy stuff. Every recipe out there, mine included, can be tweeked to the preppers taste. Tone it up, or tone it down. I do it with every recipe I have experimented with.

In my case, let the eater beware, chances are it'll be hot. But I always forewarn before cooking for others, just in case. If the majority want milder fair, I can do that, it'll just be boring though in my opinion, might as well be cooking a Swanson meal.
But even in those cases, I still have enough side condiments to liven thing up.

Oh....and after all the prep, it was oven baked by the way.
edit on 4-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join