It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Identify this object on an NF-101A...Missile? Rocket? Drone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Someone I know posted this on FB and was wondering what the object attached under the fuselage of this NF-101A is. Object looks like a missile. I am thinking its a target drone, but I can't seem to figure out what type/model. I did a pretty lengthy search and turned up nothing that looked just like that- maybe its a one off design for testing? Could it be a derivative of (or related to) the Curtiss-Wright TDU-12/B Skydart?

Any thoughts, or know just what it is?

edit on 4-8-2014 by JJRichey because: add...is...

Link to larger image, HERE
edit on 4-8-2014 by JJRichey because: add link

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Almost looks like an AIM-132 ASRAAM but its hard to tell. It's almost surely an air to air missile judging by how thin it appears to be.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: JJRichey

AFAIK only 1 NF-101A was made and it was used for engine testing the J79.

According to this page it was too far modified to be restored to anything militarily useful, so ended up as a target tug - but that doesn't look like this gunnery target dart.

This page has a bunch of designators for various towed targets post WW2 - perhaps it's one of those, but not time now soz...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul
the 2nd link in my post above says the photo was taken at the USAF Air-air rocket competition William Tell in 1961 - I can't find much about what the target a/c were at that, but perhaps someone else can??

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It looks like an early telemetry pod.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
There's a couple of messages about the 1961 William Tell in this archived page - they fired at Firebee drones that were later recovered - unfortunately no photos

ETA: The original magazine is actually available scanned so you can see the photos - see here - the is a photo of some F101's & their loads - but not the one in question.
edit on 4-8-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

The aircraft in question is in a museum in Colorado now I think.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
According to this page 53-2438 was taken off charge in 1963, and there's nothing else about it - it doesn't appear in the list of survivors on wiki.

53-2418 is recorded as being at a museum in Colorado "previously" on the wiki page of survivors and It is the only "53-" serial number on that list.

It is now at

2010: Transferred to the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, OR.
(from first link)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I believe its just a test body.

One of the early things you do in developing a new aircraft weapon is fly a test body of the weapon under the aircraft type you are going to use it on.
You are looking to make sure the weapon is not going to cause flight control problems for the aircraft.

There have been weapons that if released would pitch up at near supersonic speeds.
This could take the wing right off a plane

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Particulrly enjoyed the link to the magazine you posted Aloysius the Gaul

new topics

top topics

join