It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water Advisory : Toledo, OH and Surrounding Areas.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Thought this may be helpful. Link at the bottom of post with more info.

What should you do?

Do not drink the water. Alternative water should be used for drinking, making infant formula, making ice, brushing teeth and preparing food. Pets should not drink the water.

Do not boil the water.. Boiling the water will not destroy the toxins. It will increase the concentration of the toxins.

Consuming water containing algal toxins may result in abnormal liver function, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, numbness or dizziness. Seek medical attention if you feel you have been exposed to algal toxins and are having adverse health effects. Skin contact with contaminated water can cause irritation or rashes. Contact a veterinarian immediately if pets or livestock show signs of illness.

List of areas affected:

•ALL of Lucas County
•Toledo
•Bedford
•Walbridge
•Northwood
•Troy Township
•Perrysburg
•Rossford
•Walbridge
• Lake TWP
•Maumee
•Sylvania
•Perrysburg
•Perrysburg TWP
•Ottawa Hills
•Erie TWP
•Village of Metamora
•Eastern Swan Creek TWP
•Village of Whitehouse
•Luna Pier
•Erie Township
•Bedford Township
•LaSalle
•Springfield TWP
•Waterville
•Luckey
•South County Water Customers - Michigan

link

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
If chemotherapy taught me anything, its that the body can go many days without water as long as you have something to drink. One particular drug kept me from drinking water 5 days a week, every other week, for 6 months. When they first told me I couldn't drink water, I wondered how in the world I would survive, and tried to drink a small sip to see how well it would work out. Well, I immediately threw it up. So I had to get creative, balancing my water needs with what I could actually drink. I figured out really quick that they body is amazing, and will do its best with what it has. Sure, water is always the best, but when that's not around, almost anything will work for a period of time.

Having said all of that, if you ever find yourself in a situation where the stores are out of water, grab any type of fluid you can find. Juices, milk, sodas, flavored waters, heck even pedialyte and other toddler drinks (the popsicles are good too). Bagged ice might work, but in an event like this, checking the source is very important. Also, don't forget places like gas stations and even dollar stores will sell something. It might not be grand, and you'll probably pay more buying things by the bottle, but it'll be better than nothing.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: riddle6
Sodas and coffee are not a good idea, they are diuretics. Better than nothing though if it is all there is.

I hope those affected by this are not in a heatwave like we are up here, it's brutal. Drinking like 2 gallons of water a day as I am doing work outdoors in the sun
edit on Sun, 03 Aug 2014 16:23:49 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
People thought i was nuts for buying a Lifesaver bottle a few years back.
Glad i dont care what people think

www.lifesaverusa.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Funny you should mention that, today happens to be the first day in a while, we're at 80 +.
It's a little warm today...

I actually don't drink water. Hardly ever. I'm a Pop, Gatorade guy. I've stocked up on it too.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone
Yeah I used to drink gatorade at work too, now too broke for that lol. Tap water has to do me for now.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: trig_grl

I'm fairly sure you couldn't filter Toledo tap water with tat....I'd be calling the company to make sure.

But, it sure is a neat thing to have for when TSHTF, and camping....

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

They're reporting that any kind of filtration won't work.... just have to wait until the all clear is given.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

EO, has this ever happened before?
I more or less remember algae bloom being talked about in Erie....but never anything like this....

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

From what's been reported on the news, the situation existed, but it never happened or at least not on this level.

I've lived here for almost 15 years and this is the first time they've "banned" water usage.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Not that I am suggesting a healthy adult drink the stuff.....but I gotta wonder how dangerous it actually is?

And how they plan on reducing the toxins...

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

If you drink it, vomiting, etc. Also can cause liver damage etc.

They really haven't said how they'll "fix" it.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Was reading up on this... and saw an interview that had me grinding my teeth... guy stocked up on water.. not for drinking in case this takes longer than expected... but to give his kids a bath.

Baby wipes... why on gods green earth would you use the only drinkable water in your house for a bath.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hey all, I'm in SE Michigan and the water issue has krept up our way a bit too. Parts of Monroe county have been affected by this as well, and they are advising to not drink the water. I live at the border of Monroe & washtenaw counties. We are about a 35 min. Drive from Toledo and the bottled water at any major chain that we stopped in at today was completely gone. So are gas stations and convienient stores. On Saturday morning my local gas station had sold a month supply of bottled water in under 2.5 hrs...It's kinda nuts actually. We saw a case of water being sold at a price of 7.99 yesterday. So far our water is fine since the we don't draw from the same source. I have for the past year or two always disinfected and filled our empty milk jugs with water. Ya just never really know. My wife gets it now...
edit on 3-8-2014 by ValleyofAshes because: Spelling

edit on 3-8-2014 by ValleyofAshes because: Same

edit on 3-8-2014 by ValleyofAshes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

They're not gonna fix it, they wait for it to move out:

Toledo and state officials monitoring the water were waiting for a new set of samples to be analyzed Sunday before determining whether the water was safe.

“The hope would be this thing would dissipate or move out of the area,” Fahnenstiel said, adding that the wind and water currents should usher it out of the way. “There’s not a lot you can do about it — it’s really hard to treat.”
~~~~~~~~

Almost a year ago, one township just east of Toledo told its 2,000 residents not to drink or use tap water. That was believed to be the first time a municipality has warned residents against using the water because of toxins from algae in the lake.

From The Detroit News: www.detroitnews.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The offer of drinkable water extends to anyone in the area affected by this. I have clean drinkable well water with a reverse osmosis system so the water tastes fine. If anyone is in need, pls. pm me.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: elevatedone
That last picture actually makes me a little angry.

There should have been a limit on how much you can buy, so that more people could get some water.

That should be common courtesy to the people. It's sad that in situations like this people are so selfish and inconsiderate.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 6Taco6Smell6
To be fair, no one knows how long this is going to last. For all anyone knows it could be months, I really don't blame them. Even I have a stock about 3 times as much as what is in that carts in case of emergency.

When the money was rolling in you should have seen my canned food stock. These days not so much food, but water is free, every 6 months or so I refill my stock water reserves for free. The garden is finally yielding at least, frost was still happening still in the middle of june, so planting was late as hell. Two pickings of green beans so far, they are always the first and fastest growing, canned 52 bottles of them this weekend
Hopefully winter will delay too this year, but I doubt it. It is canada lol.

edit on Sun, 03 Aug 2014 23:48:39 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
There was supposed to be an announcement by the mayor that keeps getting postponed.

Reading up on this, I ran across this interesting accusation:

Kaptur concerned Ohio EPA withholding test results: Toledo's Friday night toxins test came back at almost three parts per billion

During a US EPA conference call this afternoon Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur complained that the Ohio EPA is withholding water test results taken from Toledo's water system.

And she urged the US EPA pressure the Ohio EPA to provide those results.

"The public has a right to know," Kaptur said to Region 5 Administrator Susan Hedman.

USEPA stated that although it is performing the tests on samples from the Toledo plant and distribution facilities, the Ohio EPA in fact has "the lead" in the investigation. Administrator Hedman said the agency would make an effort to get clearance from the state EPA.

"Whether it's the state EPA or the federal EPA makes no difference. The public deserves transparency," Kaptur said.

Interesting pissing contest.

The article continues:

The US EPA also says it has validated Toledo's Friday night test result at almost three parts per billion..The World Health Organization standard is 1 part per billion.

Congresswoman Kaptur also noted that although the USEPA has the most sophisticated analytical capability and ability to interpret information, the agency has not been present at any meeting or any media opportunity during the entire crisis.

Well, it certainly looks like this story is being 'managed'.

See also:

Toledo Mayor Collins yet to deliver update
edit on 4-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Well here is the latest:

Water ban remains in place for now, tests don't show water is safe yet says Mayor

After hours of waiting for news on water test results, Toledo Mayor D. Michael Collins made a statement around 3 a.m. Monday morning saying that although the EPA has deemed Toledo water toxin levels safe, the water ban will remain in place for now.

Collins said that although the EPA's tests came back positive, the results for tests performed by the city were "too close for comfort." He says the results show the microcystin levels are about one parts per billion, and that that is too high for him.

The mayor said that out of 30 tests, 12 have been clean, and the "balance minus two are all within acceptable range."

Collins says numbers show about 1 parts per billion, says that's too high and the water ban STAYS for now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join