It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Patient in Atlanta Hospital

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It's official. A West African Ebola Patient has been transferred to Emory Hospital in Atlanta. Just saw it on my local news. I live 2 hours drive from Emory Hospital.

Updated: 5:34 p.m. Thursday, July 31, 2014 | Posted: 2:12 p.m. Thursday, July 31, 2014
Ebola patient to be treated at Emory University Hospital

www.wsbtv.com...

Atlanta is also one of the only 3 cities that has direct flights from Africa to the United States. Will add links to story as the news hits the web.

Des

edit on 31-7-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Holy crap!!!! Wez Fudged. Wonder how many people the person came in contact with before they got sick. Scary.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

IDK...there are conflicting stories at the moment. On TV they said patient is already in Emory Hospital. The one link I posted above says they are heading to the hospital...still trying to locate accurate news.

Another source:

Emory Hospital in Atlanta to receive Ebola patient
Posted: Jul 31, 2014 5:42 PM EST Updated: Jul 31, 2014 6:23 PM EST
By Rodney Harris - email

ATLANTA (CBS46) -

Emory University Hospital has been told that a patient with the Ebola virus will be transferred to its hospital in Atlanta.

Emory says it has a special isolation unit to treat patients that are exposed to serious infectious diseases that is separate from other patient areas at the hospital.

Emory's isolation unit is one of only four such units in the country, according to the hospital, which also said that its staff are highly trained in the procedures necessary to care for the patient.
www.wsmv.com...

Des

edit on 31-7-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yikes.

This does make one wonder if the media is downplaying this whole thing in an effort to not panic the population...

They say it can only be transmitted via bodily fluids, yet I keep reading everywhere that just touching a door knob can do the trick. I guess we're about to find out.

edit on 31-7-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
well might as well start the count,,

just so an accurate count can be made.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

I expect, in part, this is to facilitate study of the virus in patients where more resources and minds can be brought to bear. My bet is there will be more than just this one patient brought here over time.
edit on 31-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
link   
I knew it! Crap! And everyone said we were paranoid and overreacting.!!!! Ugh.

link   
We can only hope perfect procedure is being practiced in order to stem this... Which is highly doubtful. But one can only hope.

The disease spreads through body fluid. Just thank God it's not pneumonic. It's not as successful as something like the flu, but we have virtually zero experience handling an E Bola outbreak in the USA.

IMO the media should stop sensationalizing the travel restrictions. This should be an "of course" aspect of this issue...

"This issue," being the worlds worst outbreak of one of its worst diseases. This is E Bola people, it's time to stop harping on the figures and really employ some of this knowledge we've been collecting over the last century, hm?

edit on 31-7-2014 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2014 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Wookiep
only within 10 hours,, then it dies,,,,, right?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Yeah but how long hs this person been in the US with the virus but not showing symptoms??? How many people have come in contact who could be infected right now and are infecting others and dont even know it?

Good thing im in AZ. Im locking my doors and loading my guns

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

fine u made me change my avatar agin,,,

moon spells,,moon,,,

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Emory Hospital is affiliated with the CDC located in Atlanta. I've been to both facilities before. Unfotunately I've also met some dumber than dirt people who work at both places.

I'm sorry this makes me uncomfortable. I feel so sorry for those infected. But, humans are not the brightest critters on this planet. Murphy's Law keep rolling through my head.

A couple of days ago I looked up what cities/airlines have direct flights from Africa. Yup, Atlanta is one of the 3 listed.

Des

+19 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Calm down for a second and realise what the article actually said.

The patient is an aid worker from west Africa, who by the sounds of the article, is being transferred from that location to the Emory hospital. It did not say that an American person, or person holidaying in the US of A has contracted the disease.

All that will happen here, is a bio containment protocol enabled flight, will land in the USA, at which point representatives of the hospital, as well as CDC crew, will transport the patient to the hospital, probably via helicopter (at least, that's how I would roll on this, to minimise the potential for an RTA and subsequent potential exposure risks commensurate with emergency medical care given by EMT).

The hospital itself has a bio secure location within it, as the article makes clear, one of only a few in the entire United States. These places employ people who are trained to deal with things like this, and the potential risk of exposure for the doctors and the staff at the hospital, is many times smaller than the risk posed to aid workers and doctors out in the field, in west Africa at the moment. The reason for this is simple. In Africa right now, the situation is so grave, and people are in such a bad way, and in such remote areas, far from modern medicine, that more risk is necessary in order to save lives.

In the USA however, the methods and equipment available to treat highly infectious disease, are many hundreds of times better, and there are already protocols in place to contain any contagion. Personally, I would be a lot less worried about this transfer, and more worried about anyone who might have gotten back from there recently who has not been to have a check up!

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Relax a little.

Its not some random traveler that got sick on the plane.

Its a American aid worker who got infected in africa and they are doing a PLANED transfer.

It wont be on a comericial plane but on a private medical transport with full precuations.

Fact is if he or she gets treatment in a modern hospital (something imposdible in africa) they have a lot better chance at pulling through, it may reduce the mortality for them down to 20% rather than the 60-90%.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

well things are tighter now with a new boss,,u know after that Anthrax thing,, Ebola should be no problem.

edit on 7/31/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

S&F What are these people thinking?!? They won't be satisfied, will they?

Will add links to story as the news hits the web.

I'll be watching.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

God, I hate to say this but...

I spent 2 months in an ATL hospital....not Emory...

It was HORRIBLE. And my unit was supposed to be the best in the South for my condition. There were some great people but you can't overcome systemic issues related to the crappy/over stressed state of hospitals and healthcare in rhe U.S.

God help us.

edit on 7/31/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
Yeah but how long hs this person been in the US with the virus but not showing symptoms??? How many people have come in contact who could be infected right now and are infecting others and dont even know it?

Good thing im in AZ. Im locking my doors and loading my guns

Really? That such a paranoid responce.

I suggest reading the FACTS it was a planned transfer from africa.

They would have had zero contact outside of medical personal.
edit on 31-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Calm down for a second and realise what the article actually said.

The patient is an aid worker from west Africa, who by the sounds of the article, is being transferred from that location to the Emory hospital. It did not say that an American person, or person holidaying in the US of A has contracted the disease.

All that will happen here, is a bio containment protocol enabled flight, will land in the USA, at which point representatives of the hospital, as well as CDC crew, will transport the patient to the hospital, probably via helicopter (at least, that's how I would roll on this, to minimise the potential for an RTA and subsequent potential exposure risks commensurate with emergency medical care given by EMT).

The hospital itself has a bio secure location within it, as the article makes clear, one of only a few in the entire United States. These places employ people who are trained to deal with things like this, and the potential risk of exposure for the doctors and the staff at the hospital, is many times smaller than the risk posed to aid workers and doctors out in the field, in west Africa at the moment. The reason for this is simple. In Africa right now, the situation is so grave, and people are in such a bad way, and in such remote areas, far from modern medicine, that more risk is necessary in order to save lives.

In the USA however, the methods and equipment available to treat highly infectious disease, are many hundreds of times better, and there are already protocols in place to contain any contagion. Personally, I would be a lot less worried about this transfer, and more worried about anyone who might have gotten back from there recently who has not been to have a check up!

You beat me too it

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

fox news reported earlier that they were trying to bring back 2 American DRs that were infected with the Ebola virus in Liberia. Gravely ill but were in stable condition.

Nurse Nancy Writebol, was offered an experimental serum yesterday. Dr Brantley received some blood from a 14 year old boy who had survived Ebola because of Dr Brantley's care.

I wonder if one of the people mentioned above was brought to Atlanta?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join