It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Cool! 54 “Colorized” Photos From Last Century…

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My search button is not working, so i'm not able to check if this already posted. Also not sure if it is in the right section of the site.

That said...

Amazing Glimpses from the past.. The bad thing about this is that makes you want to see more and more. Hope you enjoy as much as i did.

Prior to the 1970s, color photography was hard to come by. These photos below have been “colorized” to help us visualize what the world that we only know as black and white looked like. It’s quite jaw-dropping to see the likes of Abraham Lincoln and Albert Einstein in living color. The world has always been a marvelous place, but these photos make it all the more incredible.

Some pictures i picked:

President Lincoln with Major General McClernand and Allan Pinkerton at Antietam in 1862

Times Square 1947

Lee Harvey Oswald, 1963, being transported to questioning before his murder trial for the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Madison Square Park New York City around 1900

Samurai Training, 1860

Albert Einstein on a Long Island beach in 1939

W.H. Murphy testing the bulletproof vest in 1923

Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield

Brothers Robert Kennedy, Edward “Ted” Kennedy, and John F. Kennedy outside the Oval Office.

Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels scowls at a Jewish photographer, 1933

You can see all pictures HERE

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RUSSO

These are fantastic.

My immediate thought is how diminished the time frames seem when seen in color. Almost like just taken yesterday.
edit on 24-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Sophie Loren and who? ....Great stuff.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

True.

Also, the look of Lee Harvey Oswald and Joseph Goebbels are very telling.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Maybe I'm a purist but I prefer the original black and white images. You can probably get pac-man to play on a windows 8 box but that's all you will have achieved because the whole experience of it is lost in translation.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse

I hear what you are saying, but a few of these examples change your sense of time.

I find that fascinating.

Moreover, it's not like reality was in black and white. These colorized photos remind me how 'real' these subjects were. I think there is value in that. Too often we distort our perception of the past because of how remote it all seems. Black and white imagery and paint on canvas reinforce that distance, imo.

Just saying.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Excellent!

I am mostly liking the Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield one

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argyll

Excellent!

I am mostly liking the Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield one

Haha you and me both mate

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

I dunno. Taylor was looking pretty good.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Fair enough...I guess I just love the originals. Colorized movies weren't a big hit with me either

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing Russo.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Her eyes...wow

And not a bit of Photoshop just pure beauty

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse

See with those (movies), I'm more in line with your thinking. Only because I see them as art made in the confines of a medium. That's special and unique all its own.

Making decisions after the fact (ie, colorization), changes the original creation. I'm not a big fan of that either.

But historical stills are different for me somehow.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

That's the beauty of it I guess, we all see it in our own unique way

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Thank you Russo. Real difference btwn the originals. I know in film school, the whole "black and white" effect from old movies has its place when affecting the viewers moods while watching. It a whole process of getting certain feelings by the use of black and white.

Interestingly, we now have here the actual, real representation of how these images looked when photographed. And at times, one looks at b & w and the impression is those events was drab, dull, boring and lacked feelings. In reality? These photos are more in line with what I remember living through say...the Kennedy years.

Color brings real presence and emotion to the original b &w's, even if its colorized with not the exact-true original colors of the events themselves. Thanks so much for these!!!!!

MS

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing-I could look at these all day long.

I'm not proud to admit that,as a young child,I thought that the world
used to be in black and white.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
My God, women were so beautiful back then!

S&F that was really cool...and, holy cow, women were so beautiful back then!

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Who is this guy? The Lee Harvey Oswald of the Lincoln assassination:

Read all about it:

www.davesweb.cnchost.com...
edit on 24-7-2014 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Interestingly, we now have here the actual, real representation of how these images looked when photographed. And at times, one looks at b & w and the impression is those events was drab, dull, boring and lacked feelings. In reality? These photos are more in line with what I remember living through say...the Kennedy years.

Color brings real presence and emotion to the original b &w's, even if its colorized with not the exact-true original colors of the events themselves. Thanks so much for these!!!!!

MS

My pleasure

Would be awesome to find more...

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
What's Mycroft Holmes doing there with Goebbels?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join