It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel seems to have found something big and hidden...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
No need for flammable liquids, there is more than enough sea water, just keep pumping, there should be at least one hydraulic engineer in Israel?

yep, you read my mind, they need to build canals from the meditteranean to the entrance of some of the tunnels and flood them.Drain the whole meditteranean sea into the tunnels if that`s what it takes to be sure they are all flooded,all the way down.The canals will ensure that the tunnels stay flooded with no hope of being able to pump out the water and use the tunnels again.
of course they would need to annex the land that the canals are built on and fortify the land with walls, fences ,land mines etc to prevent anyone from trying to block the canals.
edit on 1-8-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

this ww1 battle would disagree with you when people did just that and ended a three year stale mate in trench warfare

www.greatwar.co.uk...

if it was not such an effective tactic on the rare chance an enemy can attack static defenses why are some of the times they were used listed as some of the largest non nuclear explosions in history ,its the old problem of having fixed defenses(Israeli side) that the enemy can tunnel under and undermine and pop up and cause some chaos or blow up something reasonably well.imagine had they stopped firing rockets for 3 months and instead used all the explosives under either the wall or other important areas and set it all off at once it would be a highly effective symbol and a victory they could hang their hats on so to speak by getting to the Israeli heart land while avoiding their feared air force
and artillery

Battle of Messines On 7 June 1917, nineteen (of a planned twenty-one) large mines, containing a total of over 455 tons of ammonal explosives, were set off beneath German lines on the Messines-Wytschaete ridge. The explosion, which killed about 10,000 Germans, was heard as far away as London and Dublin. While determining the power of explosions is difficult, this was probably the largest planned explosion in history until the 1945 Trinity atomic weapon test, and the largest non-nuclear planned explosion until the 1947 British Heligoland detonation (below). The Messines mines detonation killed more people than any other non-nuclear man-made explosion in history.
Old perhaps ineffective not at all ,10,000 entrenched and highly fortified German troops literally thrown into the sky by the force of the blast,they had been holding that hill for three years in fortifications that appeared impenetrable but the moles got them .

on your 40 times challenge the entirety of ww1 was basically forms of tunneling(trench warfare) undermining might be a bit different but tunneling is quite common even in the modern age,look at north korea they got all kinds of stuff hollowed out to try to increase survivability of their arty ,the entirety of Switzerland is a honeycomb of fortresses and rigged explosives to bring mountains down on their enemies and close off paths.Vietnam go ask their irregulars or ask a tunnel rat (if any of them are still alive and sane after what they lived through) about tunnel warfare and was used in a good deal of civil war battles in usa as well.

en.wikipedia.org... cannons did not stop this mining(blowing them up from below)
en.wikipedia.org... much more famous case of mining an enemy strong hold held with artillery and cannons and other modern weapons
en.wikipedia.org...

Another example is recorded in Luis Trenker's Mountains on Fire (1931). Whole mountain peaks in the Alps, such as Col di Lana, Lagazuoi and Marmolata, were detonated during the Italian Campaign of World War I.
so two from ww1 again

more then a few from nam area and we were hitting them with bombers and legit carpet bombings
and even a few battles from the Syrian civil war used these tactics
used in the ruso Japanese war as well (siege of port Arthur)
en.wikipedia.org... used sparingly here but hey it counts
too many times to count in korea (them north Koreans are efficent moles) often building entire fortified garrisons under ground same for the Chinese Japanese war that was the prelude to ww2(the Japanese flooded the tunnels with toxic gas and water) so that surely gets tunnels in modern times up to your forty
tunnels were used in the sino Vietnamese war as well
bin-laden hid in tora bora for a while probably the most well know recent tunnel/cave system
en.wikipedia.org... from Bosnia
dont underestimate sappers/combat engineers they have achieved amazing victories in the past and just because a tactic is old does not make it useless otherwise people would not still study Hannibal's complete double envelopment of the Romans at cannane.

TLDR tunnels they are effective and it is never wise to let troops have free access to your flanks or other suposedly safe areas

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
If I had gone on and grabbed someone's land and started killing and abusing their families I would have certainly expected them to react to my actions by all means available to them and I wouldn't complain and nag about it a bit like some do...Thats the least I could do.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

That reminds me of a similar incident during the american civil war.

"the battle of the crater"

The mine exploded at 4:44 a.m. on July 30, 1864. The result stunned everyone who witnessed it. "Clods of earth weighing at least a ton, and cannon, and human forms, and gun-carriages, and small arms were all distinctly seen shooting upward in that fountain of horror," remembered a newspaper correspondent. When the dust settled, a crater 130 feet long, 60 feet wide, and 30 feet deep scarred the landscape where Elliott’s Salient had stood a moment before. A total of 352 Confederates were killed by the blast.

www.civilwar.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

I loved that post

But I'll quote my post:

I bet you that you'd struggle to find more than 40 cases of mining being used as an offensive tactic in the last 400 years, I also bet that any cases you do find the use of mining was a decision out of necessity and disparity. If these tunnels exist on the scale being mentioned that alone should say a lot.

I should have put that text in bold originally, excellent examples of mining in warfare but again they will all have been done in desperate times where an unorthodox move might just be your best one. The Viet Cong's efforts were always one that stood out for me when I used to read about this kind of stuff, do you really think they'd have lasted more than 3 month without those tunnel networks running under the nation.

Tunneling is a no other choice act nearly all the time, that was my point.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join