It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bipartisan Peace Pipe Diplomacy Wafts Through DC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
www.businessweek.com...

As Sheldon Adelson, Warren Buffett, and Bill Gates wrote in an op-ed article in the New York Times recently, “the current stalemate—in which greater pride is attached to thwarting the opposition than to advancing the nation’s interests—is depressing to most Americans and virtually all of its business managers. The impasse certainly depresses the three of us.”

A bipartisan effort to help marijuana entrepreneurs, however, is emerging as a bright spot in the gloom.

A number of new measures support this emerging new cannabis industry, or should we phrase it "re-emerging" and "renewed" industry? Many of the measures turn the calendar back to our pre-prohibition days before governmental agencies and financial institutions were put to meddle in our personal affairs.

The House passed an amendment this week that should help marijuana businesses get banking services in the 23 states where marijuana is legal in some form. Specifically, the amendment prohibits the Treasury Department from spending money to penalize financial institutions that serve legal marijuana businesses. It passed 231 to 192.

Last May, the House passed another appropriations bill amendment forbidding the Drug Enforcement Administration from undermining state medical marijuana laws, with 219 members voting yes. Also passed were two measures to keep the DEA from interfering with state hemp production or research programs.

What is prompting the Democrats and Republicans to enter into the circle united together over this smoking issue, the same issue that is uniting libertarian, conservative, and true liberal ideologies alike? It may not be entirely about big business interests, freedoms, or an overbearing federal government - remember, we are still talking about our nation's capitol.

At least as far as the banking amendment, it’s partly about public safety and transparency. Businesses forced to operate in cash because they can’t get bank accounts are a juicy target for crime and more difficult to track for tax purposes.

Enticing to either party is the States' Rights issue though. Even the White House explicitly names marijuana issues as a States' Rights and DC Home Rule concern in this July 2014 statement.

But not all is rosy for the beneficiaries of this current wave of liberty, Obama signals disapproval for undermining those 10th Amendment issues in HR 5016 with language in the bill preventing DC from using its own local funds to carry out its recent marijuana decriminalization policies as well as legal challenges to the DC Metro PD's enforcement of laws currently in force. So this bipartisanism brings mixed blessings as well. Still, it is an improvement overall.

My own suggestions to help remedy many of our political ills that still plague our governments would include a new branch of medical specialization that combines the skills of the proctologist and neurosurgeons and the prescribing of mj therapy for their post-surgical patients on Capitol Hill.

edit on 22-7-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
When Sheldon Adelson, Warren Buffett, and Bill Gates start to push for legalization and wanting to make profits from it things will start changing fast considering the government is bought and paid for by the likes of these people things will get done. Also something you did not mention is the FDA is considering reclassification for the drug with heaving weights like this pushing for it it may just be reclassified also which would solve alot of problems in it self.

Looks like change is a coming and will be very much appreciated by the masses this is all good news and very positive imo. i look forward to the day it legal in every state in the country like alcohol.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: pez1975

Reclassification is something that should be done ASAP. Say what they will about Obama but he's the one holding back the DEA from stomping down the clinics and keeping the progress we've made safe from those with the 'Lock-em-all-up" mentality. We've come a long way but it could all be mostly undone with any A-retentive administration that might come along. And it sounded like Romney was promising to be that guy.

I am not sure how the present classification for mj can continue to stand considering Pharma already makes a pill they claim have those properties. Their pill and method is sub-standard compared to the real thing but the fact they make it and push it shouts, YES! It does have medical benefits. I understand Pharma's interest though, a family member who was in the final stages of cancer was offered their synthetic Marinol, a month's supply was to cost over $900. Can you imagine how much superior raw pot that would buy here in Mexico?

Forget "reclassification" though. Many of us here have nearly a half century of personal experience with the plant and consider it innocuous enough to entirely "declassify." It should be sold in the produce section of our supermarkets. It is less dangerous than common aspirin.

Many of our politicians know about this, minus the "Reefer Madness" hype, and don't have a problem about coming together to make things right for us. They just want to figure out how much tax they can put on it and just how for into our personal lives they can delve because of it before it becomes criminally intrusive again.

edit on 22-7-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Erongaricuaro

This is a fine and welcome turn of events, and I applaud it.

There is an issue no one is talking about though, that needs to be brought up.

Even if it becomes legal in all 50 states and declassified and sold in produce sections - will employers be told to stop testing for it? I understand not using on the job, just as most working Americans don't drink while on the job - and cigarettes are forbidden on some "campuses" as well, while other employers have only an outdoor "smoking area" (or not - which is why you see people in uniforms standing outside smoking during their "breaks").

What's to stop Hobby Lobby or other employers from discriminating against those who use it "legally, recreationally, at home when they are off duty," even though it's legal?

Besides that, it's a large chunk of the now-unemployed (and practically unemployable due to age discrimination and tight-fisted companies that would rather pay two tech-school grads than one very skilled, experienced) middle-aged people - who are "returning" to the toking days of their youth - out of boredom, frustration, and stress-related depression. So even if they DO get an interview for a job they are totally qualified for, they are either "overqualified", "too expensive", "short-lived" (will be retiring after 10-15 years), or not tech-savvy enough to be favored over a 22-year old with no dependents, no health or homeowner problems.

Used to be that your resume needed to show stability - now, they EXPECT people to move on after 2-3 years, to something else, or if they don't it is wondered "what is wrong with you that you've stayed at the same job for 15 years"?

edit on 7/23/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Even if it becomes legal in all 50 states and declassified and sold in produce sections - will employers be told to stop testing for it?

What's to stop Hobby Lobby or other employers from discriminating against those who use it "legally, recreationally, at home when they are off duty," even though it's legal?

We are becoming somewhat more awakened as an even older and less enlightened generation is passing on. That is apparently what is happening now and we are discarding at least this one archaic and inappropriate law. Hopefully more improvement will now follow.

For those of us who know better, seriously, would you really rather hire 'drinkers' over potheads?

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Plus, it's our kids who are now the Millenials - many, many of them can be found in journalism -

Well, my kids were never indoctrinated with the "Reefer Madness" stuff - because we realized it was bunk...and that mj is far safer and has wonderful value as a relaxant, or stimulant, or mood-improver...
(they WERE told to stay away from things like Meth and harder, mind-killing drugs)
so naturally, they are more open to it....and THEY will be the next leaders.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Erongaricuaro

Forget "reclassification" though. Many of us here have nearly a half century of personal experience with the plant and consider it innocuous enough to entirely "declassify." It should be sold in the produce section of our supermarkets. It is less dangerous than common aspirin.

Erm, no
It degrades the senses, slows reaction, and befuddles/twists your perceptions (would you want your surgeon to smoke up right before preforming open heart surgery on you kinda thing).

Selling it next to the tomatoes is silly

However, selling it in the beer and wine aisle, or behind the counter with the cigarettes makes sense

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Reclassification is something that should be done ASAP. Say what they will about Obama but he's the one holding back the DEA from stomping down the clinics and keeping the progress we've made safe from those with the 'Lock-em-all-up" mentality. We've come a long way but it could all be mostly undone with any A-retentive administration that might come along. And it sounded like Romney was promising to be that guy.

Well it is getting to the point that if such an administration came along, they would guarantee a HUGE public push back if they unleashed the hounds (DEA) on states that have legalized the plant. More than half the country supports legalization now. Trying to shut this industry down as a politician would make sure you NEVER get a vote in any state that you shut it down in. Not to mention we still have the rest of 2014, 2015, and 2016 with Obama in charge to allow us to work ever harder towards legalization.

I am not sure how the present classification for mj can continue to stand considering Pharma already makes a pill they claim have those properties. Their pill and method is sub-standard compared to the real thing but the fact they make it and push it shouts, YES! It does have medical benefits. I understand Pharma's interest though, a family member who was in the final stages of cancer was offered their synthetic Marinol, a month's supply was to cost over $900. Can you imagine how much superior raw pot that would buy here in Mexico?

It stands because the DEA is law enforcement and the law enforcement lobby is highly against legalization. They have to much sway over this issue, but not enough since they are losing ground every day. It's gotten to the point that I google news search the term "marijuana" about once a week and I get fresh articles talking about new developments towards legalization.

That MAY be a little extreme in most people's eye. It is still being shown to negatively effect children's brain development, so there can be a good argument made that we need to restrict it from people under a certain age. But I see where you are going with this.

Many of our politicians know about this, minus the "Reefer Madness" hype, and don't have a problem about coming together to make things right for us. They just want to figure out how much tax they can put on it and just how for into our personal lives they can delve because of it before it becomes criminally intrusive again.

Everyone knows this. Anyone who sides with the Reefer Madness crowd is eyeball deep in propaganda BS or has an agenda contrary to freedom.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Hey there is a chance they could be high on pills while doing, so what's the difference? Here's an article that highlights pill addiction among nurses, saying that as much as 7 - 24% of them are high on the job. You think that the doctor profession is any different?
www.nursezone.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Erm, no
It degrades the senses, slows reaction, and befuddles/twists your perceptions (would you want your surgeon to smoke up right before preforming open heart surgery on you kinda thing).

Selling it next to the tomatoes is silly

However, selling it in the beer and wine aisle, or behind the counter with the cigarettes makes sense

That might depend on how much and what kind along with how it is used. Certainly we don't want a drunken surgeon performing surgery on us, but if he had taken a capful of cough medicine beforehand for his smoker's hack we might appreciate that it would quiet his spasms. Many medicinal users of mj take similar tiny doses without degrading senses. But yeah, if one is going after a recreational high or unwinding at the end of the day it would be greatly suggested they wait a half-hour afterwards before taking on any critical tasks.

I can understand selling it off the vegetable bin could be off-putting to many Americans but I do live outside the country. Although it is not customary or permitted to sell it openly where I am I have been to places where cannabis is sold along with dried herbs at open-air mercados even though it is technically prohibited in those countries. I am looking forward someday to when hemp seed and its products and preparations are sold right along with other food and nutrition products with no restrictions whatsoever. I understand hemp seed was the original gruel. It is nutritious.

For the US I suppose recreational sales should best be kept with the wine and spirits and medicinals in the dispensaries. You folks are much more accustomed to living under rather more strict guidelines for behavior.

edit on 23-7-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

For the US I suppose recreational sales should best be kept with the wine and spirits and medicinals in the dispensaries. You folks are much more accustomed to living under rather more strict guidelines for behavior.

Well, you can see it like that, or just a more practical realistic view. When people buy pot, its not for some new agey aromatherapy and voodoo medicine (not to say it doesn't have medicinal uses), just that when the average user buys it, they are doing it to light up and get stoned..thats it..same as when a person buys beer, its not for some long term health considerations for heart, they want a buzz...so, that stuff belongs in its own aisle.

As a former smoker, I have no issue with it being under the same guidelines as alcohol or ciggys, age of legal responsibility first off (seriously, the stuff makes you unfocused and want cheese based snacks..not good to have during school), and clearly marked. Common sense rules..regardless, its about time this particular plant became legal...it never really made sense as to why it was illegal to begin with..
Cotton lobbiests back in the 50s would be my guess
edit on 23-7-2014 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

(seriously, the stuff makes you unfocused and want cheese based snacks

If I recall correctly, there are different strains now (in Colorado and other places) - some that enhance focus, make you want to clean the garage or build a new fence. Others are more for 'zoning out'.

But yeah, the snacks thing happens.

P.S. And also, it certainly makes it easier for folks who are suffering from despair or pain or illness to endure and continue.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Hey, this is somewhat off-topic, but as you live in Michoacan, can you tell us something about the cartels (now foibled on the mj monopoly ) who are now extorting from avocado and lime farmers? I hear it's their new "cash crop." And prices up here in America are skyrocketing.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If I recall correctly, there are different strains now (in Colorado and other places) - some that enhance focus, make you want to clean the garage or build a new fence. Others are more for 'zoning out'.

P.S. And also, it certainly makes it easier for folks who are suffering from despair or pain or illness to endure and continue.

I have no issues with medical use...actually, no issues with any use, medical or just social fun...just needs to be classified right, and saying it is equal to a radish is just silly.
...I tried to smoke a radish...not as entertaining results.

Causes focus and motivation? they sprinkle Adderall in it or something? heh

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Different strains like you are suggesting have existed for a while, but what I think you are hinting out (enhance focus, clean, etc vs zone out, ie couch lock) is actually a difference in type of marijuana. You are talking about the difference between a sativa and indica strain. Depending on which one you use depends on the overall high you get. Obviously with the different strains and hybrids, you can tweak this feeling.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Well, I'm not sure how "acceptable" this thread is, or what - but if you look up strains of Cannabis in Colorado, you find at least one: Jack Herer that elicits these:

Feelings felt
Euphoric
Uplifted
Happy
Creative
Energetic

And now, I leave the thread to you guys. Don't want to get in trouble.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Hey, this is somewhat off-topic, but as you live in Michoacan, can you tell us something about the cartels (now foibled on the mj monopoly ) who are now extorting from avocado and lime farmers? I hear it's their new "cash crop." And prices up here in America are skyrocketing.

As to who and what rackets are perpetrated by the 'cartels' can be ambiguous. The true 'Drug Lords' are global operators with a continuity going back to the Chinese Opium Wars that actually decide who can do significant business in the illicit trade. A few years back there were incidents of public violence as governmental drug warriors perhaps unwittingly played part in weakening regional operators - who were perhaps not paying their proper dues - while now infamously known usurpers infiltrated those territories and local factions defended their turf. Those incidents have fairly much subsided as foreign 'drug war advisors' were sent back north under the present administration.

Various 'criminal organizations' do get involved in local trade and use extortion and other means to extract money. While some of that appears to be tolerated as just the cost of doing business they will typically get clamped down on if it seriously begins to impede normal trade - but especially dealing with foreign markets it would appear occasional 'pricing bubbles' are a normal order of business. Earlier this year we did see the price of lemons go through the roof for a few weeks but they are once again priced more fairly and even quite at bargain prices. Note: these little green lemons are not actually proper 'limes' though that is how they are more commonly known up north there, but ask any Mexican living down here what color lemons are and they will say green.

Nearby city of Uruapan is the 'avocado capital of the world,' as local slogan goes. I have not seen an appreciable price increase in avocados any time recent. There was a problem in the forest area around Cherán over the past few years with criminal organization people stripping trees and the locals arming themselves after not being able to get support from law enforcement. At one point in the struggle some 'protector group' got to be more troublesome for the locals than they were previously dealing with and for a long period there was a lot of local crime and violence in that area. That seems to have worked itself out now in large part but the local people are maintaining watchful vigilence and monitoring vehicular traffic in the area.

I live in the state's capital city of Morelia and will see groups of demonstrators or parades of 'campesinos' petitioning for assistance with regional problems but in contrast with a few overt acts of violence during that infamous 'Drug War' period a few years back all is routinely peaceful and quiet now. Mostly what I see attributed to the 'cartels' these days are cheap bootleg DVD's being sold at the tianguis.

There is a big push for a hemp industry being promoted by former Presidente Fox and medical mj bills working their way through government with some enthusiastic support. Recreational use measures remain rather lukewarm throughout the country but Mexico City activists are pushing for open use there. These things take time to become legal. Many things are tolerated in Mexico so long as they do not become a nuisance or overtly obvious. We generally enjoy a lot more privacy from government interference and intrusions than up north.

edit on 23-7-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

LOL!! Yeah, limones.
Lo sé.

Que te cuidas.

(I know, take care), and thanks for your response!

top topics

join