It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Woman Sues to Wear Veil for License

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I'm not sure which way to go with this.
On one hand I feel she should accept the laws of the country she is living in and be treated equally?
On the other hand is there some other way around it i.e. thumb print or retina i.d.?
Or should she move to a country which does not insist she removes her veil?

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20030528/ap_on_re_us/license_veil_6

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   
If she wants to drive a car then she should have to do like the rest of us, if not take the bus!

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is insane. A license is not just a piece of plastic that says "you may drive" in this country. A license is a valid government issued form of idea that has a picture on it. The purpose of this picture? Identification. I don't think it's purposes would be met by the 1 inch wide slit in a vail by the eyes.

Now you say to me hey it's discrimination because she's Muslim. Here's a newsflash, Amish people refuse to have their pictures taken. So what do they do? They don't get licenses. God bless em.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Amen Djarums,

If you can't follow the rules, you should not be allowed to play. This whole discrimination crap is used by people who want to get their way and unfortunetly puts real discriminants in this same stereotype.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Driving is a not a right, it is a privledge. As a privledge, it has certain pre-requisites. If she is unwilling to comply, she can't drive (which, incidentally, is likely no different than in her country of origin)... Simple as that. Do you think she could take a passport photo with veil in her home country? I think not... The photo in no way violates the rules of Islam, that I know of. If someone knows differently, please enlighten me. I'm going to start a new religion....Grouchoism. All adherents must wear Groucho glasses and mustaches. Think it'll work? Uh....nope.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Why should she have to take the veil off if she will have it on whenever someone checks her drivers license. Why should they be able to see her face if they wont even see it for identification. No one ever looks at Drivers license anyway.

XAOS

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
That is stupid, just because she is Muslim does not mean she gets any special "treatment". She must play by our rules. America is a melting pot, you must blend into our culture. She will not win her suit.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Should she have to take the veil off if her license is being checked? What religion are you Jedi?

XAOS

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Her wereing that veil is not proper ID. That could be anyone wearing that.

I am a devout Roman Catholic all my life, I never thought of changing my religion at all. I am happy being Roman Catholic.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Is she planning on driving while wearing the veil?? I have seen through them, they do distort your vision some and the really limit your peripheral vision, some to the point of not being able to see to the sides at all. I believe that could be considered a driving hazard.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xaos
Should she have to take the veil off if her license is being checked?

Absolutely, in my opinion.

As has already been said, I believe she should adhere to the laws of where she lives.
Gaz put it best- Driving is not a right, its a privilege.
I also agree wiyh K_OS that wearing a veil can obstruct your view endangering not only herself but other drivers around her. She doesn't deserve any special treatment, what if people drove around in Halloween maks?
One more qoute, from Lysergic, Take the bus!!

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
we're talking about a veil that doesn't cover your eyes....

Should she have to take the veil off if her license is being checked

Absolutely. Just as she would have to temporarily remove her veil if a cop wanted to verify her identity on foot, etc. Freedom of religion is fine, but not when it infringes on the safety and security of others, and that's when the line has to be drawn. If you don't like it, you are free to leave... If I was a woman in Saudi Arabia, it might be my preference to wear short sleeved shirts and shorts in 100 degree weather, but out of respect for their laws, I'd have to wear long sleeves and pants (or be arrested). The door swings both ways my friends....

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Actually the burkha keeps you cool, more cool than shorts and a tee-shirt, and you do not get a sun burn from it. There is a reason for it you know, muslims dont just make their women wear the robes out of spite. They wear them to keep from arousing lust in men, lust that can lead to rape.

XAOS

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Lust that can lead to rape?
that's ignorant.

Just like that story about some Swede professor who claimed a woman should share in the blame when a Muslim raped her because the woman was dressed in a short skirt??? So, women need to 'cover up' so they don't get raped? Otherwise, they run the risk of being raped and should of known better, right?

Do you also blame priests that are pedophiles on the fact they can�t marry and not on the basis that pedophilia is wrong and leave it at that.

Never mind morals, common sense, accountability and personal responsibility. Just �cover up�.

Anyway, back to the topic. I too think she should show her face when she gets the picture taken and when she's asked for ID. Geez, before I was 21 I could have thrown on a berqua and furnished a fake ID - of someone in a berqa? And while were at it, let�s just stop putting pictures on those Ids.

That fact is, and sadly, driving is a privilege and not a right. Some punishments for driving offenses are double jeopardy, imho, (a court and motor vehicle bureau both can punish you for the same crime) but in order to obtain the privilege to drive you forgo certain rights.

And doesn�t anyone else find it odd the ACLU is defending religion here? Not a peep out of them, unless in opposition, when is comes to Christians.

[Edited on 28-5-2003 by Bob88]

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
she gotta take off the veil because if she doesn't then anyone could pass on her license. i'm all for freedom of religion but there are limits to everything. seems like everything is a court case now-a-days.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   

If she wants to drive a car then she should have to do like the rest of us, if not take the bus!

I agree. The rules apply to everybody.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It looks like we all kinda agree on this issue. And, I remember reading somewhere how women would often get hit by cars while wearing burquas in Afghanistand

xaos, maybe not where you come from but here, in the US, ID's are checked often. Alcohol, cigarette purchases, getting into a club. Bank transactions, writing a check. Given the license is valid ID, I can see all sorts of fraud here.

I think really, really crosses the line. And, if she's allowed to do this I'll be right behind MiStErBeLLaTrIx wearing a ski mask getting my picture taken.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I thought it was illegal to where mask in public (and a veil would be considered a mask because it hides your identity) so with that she would be breaking the law. I know thats a law in DC because when the KKK marched they couldnt ehere their mask. anwith relation to the muslim lady if she won that would mean KKK mmebers could get licenses with their pillow cases on?? Please tell me this isnt in Cali cause if it is they have already won

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
good point, Quicksilver. I do think there is some sort of law like that.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Driving is not a right in the United States. It is a privilege. It is something that needs to be EARNED. Part of the standard operating procedure to accessing this privilege is disclosing your personal information.

If a police officer cannot identify someone by their license picture, they have the option of detaining that individual until their proper identity can be established (at least, that's the way it is in my state).

If they are allowed to put on the veils for the photo, a routine traffic stop could take a long time and be quite embarassing. My stance is this- keep the veils on, but don't cry religious persecution when you are detained for hours on an otherwise pleasant day. Its your choice.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join