It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police encourage cybering bullying after silly tweet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Scotscorps84

I thought those answers were totally appropriate. They weren't as rude as the tweets they were responding to.

I'd rather them be passive-aggressive over just plain ole' aggressive any day of the week. Then again, these weren't American police so maybe that was aggressive for them.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

I thought those answers were totally appropriate. They weren't as rude as the tweets they were responding to.

I'd rather them be passive-aggressive over just plain ole' aggressive any day of the week. Then again, these weren't American police so maybe that was aggressive for them.

it's not the responses from the police it is the fact that they openly shared their response knowing fine well that it would not go down well with a few people in this post, who would hurl abuse at her

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scotscorps84
a reply to: grainofsand

perhaps even then the police decided to share the tweet to all of it's followers by putting a "." before the @username.
Its a deliberate way of them being passive aggressive and knowing that the trolls would handle her.

Would you like to tell me what my opinion on this and other issues are now? or is that you done trying to profile me for sharing something?

Like I said life goes on, I'm not out to see anyone brought to justice over it. Just don't think this is what our police force is for.

I'm sorry if that makes me a terrible person in your eyes. maybe I should just worship the police and say the lass go what she deserved because she obviously deserved to be harassed into leaving her social networking account for complaining about noise. Perhaps instead of checking their twitter feed the met might have been out looking for more unsavory characters of the night?!

I really didn't expect this level of support for the police. I guess they can and will still do and say what they like to us.

Nope, all of the 'terrible person' 'worship the police' 'profile me' emotional drama stuff above is just your imagination alone.
Back on topic though, she poked the bear first.
The bear uses a legitimate digital world tool to communicate with the public.
The bear shared an already public tweet directed @it to its followers.
I would pretty much expect that if poking the bear, wouldn't you?

That is not evidence of 'encouraging' cyber bullying though.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Cyber bullying? What utter nonsense. She put a silly comment out there for all to see so she's had some abuse back from it. If you don't like getting 'feedback' on social media, then the answer is simple...don't go on it.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

And now that you've rebroadcast the story by posting it here, you're "encouraging cyberbullying" too. But only by your own definition...

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

And now that you've rebroadcast the story by posting it here, you're "encouraging cyberbullying" too. But only by your own definition...

dont be ridiculous!! its taken you hours, and during the world cup final to think of that and come at me like the big man?
where are my 90'000 followers bombarding the police twitter account?
also pretty sure id be arrested if that did happen.
youve disagreed, given your case and now shouldn't you be out there looking for more internet users who may not quite be using it to your liking special constable?

Might as well let the thread die. i thought it was wrong and i assumed other ATS members would too. How wrong I was. So I apologise for attempting to be involved. I'll refrain from making posts in the future
edit on 13.7.2014 by Scotscorps84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

So I apologise for attempting to be involved. I'll refrain from making posts in the future

Well that sounds familiar. "Boo hoo someone on the internet disagrees with me so I quit."

What the police did was neither trolling or encouraging cyber bullying. When you post on social media you are asking for attention. She got what she asked for and the police were politely pointing out that this woman isn't the center of the universe. So what if they posted it to their followers? That's the whole point of communicating via Twitter.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Might as well let the thread die. i thought it was wrong and i assumed other ATS members would too. How wrong I was. So I apologise for attempting to be involved. I'll refrain from making posts in the future

just sit tight a while some cops haters, you know the one that blindly hate on them no matter what, will come by and agree with you.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I would agree: pretty sure social media wasn't for her...

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie
Agreed.
Perhaps other folk will cry 'police oppression' and the OP can bleat a bit more.
Lame.

...move to Devon and Cornwall constabulary area and you'll find we're much more chilled here.
edit on 13-7-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scotscorps84

originally posted by: Cuervo

it's not the responses from the police it is the fact that they openly shared their response knowing fine well that it would not go down well with a few people in this post, who would hurl abuse at her

I see your point. I honestly wouldn't have predicted that but maybe they should have seen it coming after it happened the first time.

I guess my point was that, in America, our cops are famous for being abusive so being snarky on Twitter would be a funny and welcome surprise here. You should feel fortunate to have a police force where something like this story actually sticks out as among their bad deeds.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Most of the snarky response probably came from police or their families. They account for most of their online support these days. Last time I tracked comments on facebook that lambasted a police critic, that is where most of the support came from. Wasn't hard to track down on facebook, everyone talking smack had at least one cop on their friend list. I wouldn't think twitter is much better.
edit on Sun, 13 Jul 2014 20:45:14 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Most of the snarky response probably came from police or their families. They account for most of their online support these days.

I'll support cops if they deserve it, and I'm not related to any or have any friends in the service.
I even assisted a lone cop cuff a proper psycho bloke some years ago because the cop was doing the right thing, and was losing the battle on his own. Amazing how many people walked past though.
I've also challenged cops who I thought needed to chill out a few times as well.
All this bleating about UK cops like they appear to be in the US is pretty lame. Yes it varies by the different forces, for example I'd rather be nicked by a Devon & Cornwall police officer than South Wales Police (Heddlu de Cymru) stormtroopers every time, but in these days of CCTV in the police cars/station/cells/etc, it's not the scene of oppression that some claim here.

Even the CCTV that so many people cry about actually stopped the police beatings in unrecorded cell visits, so I totally support that, having been the victim of a couple of police beatings back in the 80's and early 90's.
Looking back though, I asked for the beatings with my venomous tongue, I poked the bear.
There will always be 'the biggest gang in town' and right now it is the government and police. If society collapsed tomorrow it would be the hardest organised group of blokes in the street, and if you gave them a load of abuse they'd give you a beating.

British cops are generally pretty good and friendly if you are not an aggressive prick. We should consider ourselves lucky that the biggest gang in the UK is generally less oppressive than most other countries...and if anyone is crying about them sharing an already public tweet to their followers (which was directed @them), they must live in a world with very little else to bitch about.

@Scotscorps84
Apologies for the off-topic point, but I notice you are in Scotland and have declared your claimed terrible experiences of police officers, presumably in Scotland. Do you think the independence 'yes' campaign people blame us in England for your apparent horrible police as well, or is it finally something you can admit has nothing to do with us? lol

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
To answer you're very sarcastically put and loaded question.

Scotland's laws and courts differ from England and Wales. Police Scotland is a separate entity from them. Even when we had constabulary and not a all in one outfit that was the way.
If I wished to debate independence with you I would have raised the issue. I didn't because you are English and therefore have no say at the polls regardless of how you want to feel about it.

Just so you know, I am not anti-english, far from it. Unless we are talking penalties in a world cup.
Independence should be decided by the pros and cons of where power lies thats the reality of it.

Do I want Westminster to raise and spend my taxes or do I want Holyrood which is a damn sight closer to raise and spend my taxes.

I suspect anyone outside of London may feel the same as to where government chooses to spend money in order to sweeten the electorate.

I don't wish to hijack my own thread, and I would gladly discuss the pros and cons of both potential outcomes with you should the topic rear it's head

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
No sarcasm, it was a genuine question born from years of listening to whinging scots crying about everything being the fault of England. I am Welsh.
You made me chuckle though, my comments regarding Scottish independence were a single paragraph in a large reply yet you focussed solely on that, sensitive much? lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join