It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police encourage cybering bullying after silly tweet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Just read this and even though I did get a little chuckle I do actually find it appalling that the police publicly outed a stupid tweet knowing what sort of response the victim would get, even more shocked that this is not the 1st time they have done it.The girl retired her twitter account after this.Read the story HERE.

People wonder why there is such an ingrained hatred and dislike of the police and it is stupid power games like this that prove it. I've only ever dealt with 2 officers in my whole life who came across as decent and understanding.
edit on 13.7.2014 by Scotscorps84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
They are on power trips what do you expect! Their responses come across as very immature and unproffesional in my opinion and they pretty much set those people up to be abused with their replies going to all followers! whether they noticed that or not who knows but maybe they should look in to having someone else run the twitter acc from now on.. Im so glad im not on social media, people can act so pathetic on there i had to laugh at the one that called the woman a keyboard warrior when she wasn't doing that THEY were! Hyprocrits.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shana91aus
They are on power trips what do you expect! Their responses come across as very immature and unproffesional in my opinion and they pretty much set those people up to be abused with their replies going to all followers! whether they noticed that or not who knows but maybe they should look in to having someone else run the twitter acc from now on.. Im so glad im not on social media, people can act so pathetic on there i had to laugh at the one that called the woman a keyboard warrior when she wasn't doing that THEY were! Hyprocrits.

I saw another one from Northern Ireland about illegal raves and the police account, was really bitchy and immature in it's responses as well. I totally agree that not all but A LOT of police have a superiority complex

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
what are you talking about. their response to a little biddy that was whining and didn't have a clue to what police work was, was not a harassing or rude in any form and the even apologized for disturbing her.

she probably thought her tweet would start a roll and folks would come and start slamming the cops. it didn't work and backfired on her. and she couldn't handle the embarrassment.
edit on 13-7-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Did she hurt the powices feewings? Awwwe.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie
pretty sure they knew what they were doing, setting her up and throwing her to the wolves by showing all of their followers.
The tweet was ignorant, self centered and stupid but so is almost every tweet ever tweeted.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Seems to me that the woman was the one bringing this on herself with her attitude. The police responses, to me, were polite and brief and at worst playful. Boo hoo, she doesn't get to tweet anymore. Saying the police "encouraged cyber-bullying" is a bit of a stretch in this case imo...

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
Seems to me that the woman was the one bringing this on herself with her attitude. The police responses, to me, were polite and brief and at worst playful. Boo hoo, she doesn't get to tweet anymore. Saying the police "encouraged cyber-bullying" is a bit of a stretch in this case imo...

If they had responded without involving 90'000 of their followers I would agree with you.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Scotscorps84

no what's ignorant is not knowing that crime takes place at all hours of the day, and that certain criminal types do their work best work in the wee hours of the morning.

this is the ignorant part.

It’s completely unnecessary to b that noisy at this time. I doubt u can see anything!”

first how could she possibly know it is unnecessary to be flying at that time, did she own a police scanner and listening for the calls, second i guess she doesn't have a clue what night vision or flir is.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

no what's ignorant is not knowing that crime takes place at all hours of the day, and that certain criminal types do their work best work a the wee hours of the morning.

this is the ignorant part.

It’s completely unnecessary to b that noisy at this time. I doubt u can see anything!”

first how could she possibly know it is unnecessary to be flying at that time, did she own a police scanner and listening for the calls, second i guess she doesn't have a clue what night vision or fl is.

did you read my reply?, i agreed it was ignorant, for the same reasons you have said it was ignorant. It is the way in which she was thrown to the cyber dogs that is wrong in my opinion. I in no way am defending her tweet at all.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Commence the PURGE!

Lolz.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

If they had responded without involving 90'000 of their followers I would agree with you.

what are you talking about, i don't use twitter but that is the point of isn't it? tweet so the whole world can see you.
it's called social networking and not private networking for a reason.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I remember the movie Final Destination 2, the girl was in an accident and the firefighers where trying to get her out with the Jaws of life. She is talking on the phone while this is happening and says "hold on, excuse me, can you quiet that thing down I can't hear". They look at her, then eachother and reply "sure lady let me just put it on quiet mode". Stupid comments get stupid responses, if you where not raised to have respect I suggest you don't expect it from others just because they are supposed to be professional, stupid humans want to butt heads without the impact of head butt.

##SNIPPED##
edit on 13-7-2014 by chishuppu because: adding silly remark

edit on Mon Jul 14 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: chishuppu

how about if it was that stupid the high and mighty met police should have blanked it?
receiving what was it 500 responses? from people she doesn't know, instigated by THE POLICE (the same people who are on TV,radio and newspapers in recent months condemning trolls"
The fact that what they encouraged could by the laws that they have helped implement could actually be illegal?

Also what does my choice of words have to do with my upbringing? your smarm is about as bad as a coppers.

How would you describe knowingly encouraging a female to be bombarded with messages, some of which were abusive?
It wasn't my mum, girlfriend, sister or daughter and my life will go on, I just think playing around being funny buggers on the internet inciting mob handedness is probably not what the police should be doing with their time.

I'm pretty sure they weren't hired to protect the public based on their abilities to be a sarkky # on a keyboard.

edit on Sun Jul 13 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Tough luck if you ask me. I get our police helicopter over my house most days, and as I live on the top of a hill it really is close and loud. Bitching about them doing their job in the twee hours is lame when the police authority budgets are so tight they will only be up in the air for a reason.

OK, they shared her tweet to their followers and the carnage ensued, but she poked the bear first, what did she expect.
If you want decent cops then move to the SW of England where I am, they're mostly pretty chilled out folk in Devon and Cornwall constabulary, must be our sea air and lovely countryside.
I've got to say though, if I tweeted them bitching about something lame like their helicopter keeping me awake while looking for rapists/robbers/whatever, then I would expect other people to call me out for being a moaning dick.

edit on 13-7-2014 by grainofsand because: Shamefully corrected the capital 'E' for England

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
she knew these tweets would go public...what did she expect?...if she had a complaint, go into the local, and talk to the officers....jeez, they are trying to do their jobs. here's a clue, don't tweet this kind of crap and not expect some blowback

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I think the headline of this topic is misleading as well, 'Cyber bullying occurred on Twitter after an openly public tweat was shared by a police Twitter account to it's followers' would be more appropriate...but that wouldn't sound so dramatic would it.
edit on 13-7-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You know OP, the woman in this case brought it to twitter, expecting to get a response; she did, just not the response she wanted, so she got butthurt. She needs to get over the fact her tweet backfired.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Ah, the joy of police toys, glad I don't gotta deal with that here

One of my neighbors has a small whirlybird, but at least he has the decency to wait until most folks are already awake before he takes a ride over to Tim's lmao.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

perhaps even then the police decided to share the tweet to all of it's followers by putting a "." before the @username.
Its a deliberate way of them being passive aggressive and knowing that the trolls would handle her.

Would you like to tell me what my opinion on this and other issues are now? or is that you done trying to profile me for sharing something?

Like I said life goes on, I'm not out to see anyone brought to justice over it. Just don't think this is what our police force is for.

I'm sorry if that makes me a terrible person in your eyes. maybe I should just worship the police and say the lass go what she deserved because she obviously deserved to be harassed into leaving her social networking account for complaining about noise. Perhaps instead of checking their twitter feed the met might have been out looking for more unsavory characters of the night?!

I really didn't expect this level of support for the police. I guess they can and will still do and say what they like to us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join