It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

404 Memphis police officers call in sick

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Memphis police say hundreds of officers have called in sick in the past week in what appears to be a deliberate action to protest planned health care cuts.

Yahoo News (via AP)

This is rather crazy, with over 554 Officers calling in sick on Tuesday.

I can see this leading to ugly things. Criminals and crime will run un-checked once they realize there is no one to respond.

Will this lead to a state of Emergency in Memphis and surrounding areas? Granted the dept has over 2,280 officers on staff. (That is a lot of cops.)

I can't say I agree with the City Council's decision. I don't think those who are risking life and limb to help society remain civil, should be penalized for the pensioners.

Crazy times we live in. Money rules all, for those who can only think of their bank accounts. Leaving those of us, to rely only on ourselves for our security and safety.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis Police officers should be forbidden to strike, like air traffic controllers. They should be fired and prosecuted if applicable. When the Memphis police went on strike in 1978 they went around vandalizing and destroying things and impeding the officers still trying to do the job.

edit on 8-7-2014 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Police/Fire/etc are typically forbidden from strikes, but calling in sick is not a "technical" strike, guys get sick... I actually support this, council needs to find another way to fund the pension.

ETA: it seems the point was made...

The city council has announced public hearings to find alternatives to these cuts. 1

edit on 8-7-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

We should rely on ourselves for safety to begin with. Aside from that.....everyone is broke. Unless you are a bank. Local govs are broke, state govs are broke, the fed gov is beyond broke. The police have already given up on detroit and oakland for the most part. They dont even respond to certain types of crimes anymore. More cities will fall victim to the same. Good post though. I would have loved to see the look on whoever was in charges face that day as the calls started rolling in. Lol

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LadySkadi In Memphis the police are not forbidden to strike as they are in some states. A sick out is no excuse. Doctors notes or pink slips. Also crime rates are falling all over the country, we have too many cops as it is and they aren't even real police anymore just ticket writers anyway. Fire the bums and free up some room in the budget.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Memphis police say hundreds of officers have called in sick in the past week in what appears to be a deliberate action to protest planned health care cuts.

Stop eating so many donuts then eh.

Easy peasy.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I suppose they could simply quit, or resign their positions and look for other work. In protest.

I am also unaware of, if the Memphis police dept is a union or not. Seeing as how it is 1/8th of the dept "striking", I don't believe it to be a union dept.

Thirdly, If you are not allowed to protest your employer, if you disagree with your treatment. It is not much different, at this point, protesting your government. If that is the case, then we are all screwed, and are slaves.

I also do not see these officers doing anything heinous. They simply called out "sick". Time will tell tho, and 1978 was 36 years ago. Things change, as everything does.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: rustyclutch

We should rely on ourselves for safety to begin with. Aside from that.....everyone is broke. Unless you are a bank. Local govs are broke, state govs are broke, the fed gov is beyond broke. The police have already given up on detroit and oakland for the most part. They dont even respond to certain types of crimes anymore. More cities will fall victim to the same. Good post though. I would have loved to see the look on whoever was in charges face that day as the calls started rolling in. Lol

Yes, and the people are broke too, or very close to it, depending on your finances.

The whole ball of wax is rapidly melting, and we are all gonna be stuck in a big, smelly pile of ####.

Some of us understand, tho, that our own safety is our responsibility, and security is an illusion.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadySkadi

Police/Fire/etc are typically forbidden from strikes, but calling in sick is not a "technical" strike, guys get sick... I actually support this, council needs to find another way to fund the pension.

ETA: it seems the point was made...

The city council has announced public hearings to find alternatives to these cuts. 1

Good to hear LS, thanks for the update!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I'm torn. I semi agree with you. But at the same time It's a job. Your boss shouldn't be able to just play with your money and benefits and expect you to keep working. The people signing the checks should know this and make sure the police are paid appropriately. 400 police calling in sick is a bit drastic though I admit. Funny at the same time too.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CygnisThe Memphis pd is union. The police are given special rights,privelages,guns, etc. We place our trust in the officers to do their jobs. They are extremely well paid for a job that requires a moderate IQ level and a GED. A sick out is a betrayal of the public trust. Any job can fire you for calling in sick with no dr. note, no more special treatment for the minority who called off. Something tells me these are the guys with the most complaints anyway.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rustyclutch

Your boss shouldn't be able to just play with your money and benefits and expect you to keep working.

But it is not 'their' money.

It is the public's'.

Property taxes, lotteries, and local taxes only go so far.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
They should all be made to produce a doctors certificate and if they can't then they should all be given a written reprimand and docked a days pay (or however may days they were "sick").

Also, since I assume it's the taxpayers who contribute to the government for law enforcement and protection, there should be a tax credit coming for those entitled to it.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis

I suppose they could simply quit, or resign their positions and look for other work. In protest.

Thats what most of us would have to do. No more special treatment for the ones who spit it back in our faces. I dont like Obama care. Can I call in sick with no Dr note in protest?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

In Memphis the police are not forbidden to strike as they are in some states. A sick out is no excuse. Doctors notes or pink slips.

A rose by any other name ....

As for the rest of it (can't edit right for some reason), you're also on target.

The ticket writers generate revenue unnecessarily. Only backlash will make that go away I'm afraid.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

So what you're saying is that the streets were a little safer on Tuesday?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: Cygnis They are extremely well paid for a job that requires a moderate IQ

I would partially agree with you, after 3 years of service, they are ELIGIBLE to make $53,573.52. If they gain more after that, in raises or what not, I do not know. $53k a year is not too shabby, but health-care costs will eat that in a jiffy if you get an illness. Not to mention, paying rent/mortgage, and cost of food, utilities, etc. It'll go fast.. Not to mention, they put their lives on the line. I don't know many other jobs that do that..

Doesn't it make sense to... I dunno, take care of those who you are putting your trust in, or do you bite the hand that keeps you safe?

Memphis Police benefits

A IQ does not equate to common sense, or wisdom. IQ only equates to logic, which in this case.. "Oh, your not doing exactly as I say, so your resisting me?"... Personally, I don't care much about IQ, I'd rather have common sense, and wise police officers, thank you very much.
edit on 2014-07-08T21:09:29-05:0014970929 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo If he's not saying it I will. How many videos of cop beat downs came out tuesday? Zero.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
404 Error: Cops not found

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Proposed city of Memphis budget for 2014 is 198 pages - I'm willing to bet there's more than a bit of fluff in there that can be put to use funding the pension.

Budget

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join