It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackaface is it racist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Ok in Europe it seem sto be a in thing during the world cup especially if you support a black team to black your face up.

BBC source

Seems most Europeans don't think its racist and a term of endearment.

Are people getting upset for no reason? is it racist?

I say no. Its ok to dye my hair to go to a fancy dress party what wrong with being black for a day? I see no offense.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

No I do not think it is racist. I'm Black and if I die my hair platinum blonde am I being racist?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bashka
I'm Black and if I die my hair platinum blonde am I being racist?

Is that you Nicki Minaj?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
That's considered a very racist thing as I've known it in the U.S.. It's not intended that way there tho? I wouldn't be offended in context. it's a big world and different strokes for different folks, eh?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Dear C. Ewok (who may or may not really be crazy.) You have a valid point. I do not know about soccer in Brazil in 2014, but if you dress up in blackface (assuming that you are as white as I happen to be), then you might just be poking a hornets' nest. No one will ask a hornet if it is justified in stinging them. You have every right in the world to put on the black face, but you will have to deal with the consequences. Perhaps some will think you are insensitive at best or bigoted at worst. Do you want to poke the hornets' nest?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

No, it is not racist, at all, in any way, shape or form.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Someone call NZ - their Rugby Union team has to change their name. "All Blacks" might offend someone..somewhere.

Pfft, some folks appear to be going bat-ship crazy.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
That's considered a very racist thing as I've known it in the U.S.. It's not intended that way there tho? I wouldn't be offended in context. it's a big world and different strokes for different folks, eh?

I guess it is context.

Thats likely the key context.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bashka

No I do not think it is racist. I'm Black and if I die my hair platinum blonde am I being racist?

Exactly.

Skin colour to me is the same as hair colour. Just pigments.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Ok in Europe it seem sto be a in thing during the world cup especially if you support a black team to black your face up.

BBC source

Seems most Europeans don't think its racist and a term of endearment.

Are people getting upset for no reason? is it racist?

I say no. Its ok to dye my hair to go to a fancy dress party what wrong with being black for a day? I see no offense.

Actually it says in the article that in Germany nobody cared but everywhere else was outraged.
This isn't a European thing....
edit on 26/6/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Like a previous poster mentioned, I know of this sort of thing to be considered racist in the States. However, couldn't this be put a long the same lines of a group of non-Asians wanting to support the Japanese in the world cup and in order to do this they somehow force their eyes to be almond shaped? I honestly don't quite know what to make of this - I can see how some people could be offended with either scenario.

Edit: the above is an example - it would be frowned upon if people did that just like it's being "blackaface" is being frowned upon.

~Sovereign
edit on 322014vAmerica/ChicagoThu, 26 Jun 2014 16:24:32 -0500America/Chicago2446America/Chicago by SovereignEve because: (no reason given)

edit on 352014vAmerica/ChicagoThu, 26 Jun 2014 16:29:35 -0500America/Chicago2946America/Chicago by SovereignEve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SovereignEve
Like a previous poster mentioned, I know of this sort of thing to be considered racist in the States. However, couldn't this be put a long the same lines of a group of non-Asians wanting to support the Japanese in the world cup and in order to do this they somehow force their eyes to be almond shaped?

~Sovereign

Yeah 'cos that's not racist either?

smh

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

That was exactly my point. Why are you "shaking your head"?
my example would be considered racist so why can't this particular issue be considered racist?

~Sovereign

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SovereignEve

Not really, your posts seems to be saying it's not too bad, not actually racist.
Oh well.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I'm sorry you misinterpreted my post. I added an edit for those who are confused.

~Sovereign

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
it's only racist if there's the intent to be/cause such .... and 'intent' is a hard descriptive to make.

i personally see it as more artful/theatrical, but to each their own.

namaste.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SovereignEve

No worries, it was the "however" part.... it's like saying "I know it's considered racist..BUT"

That's how it seemed, no worries, just a misunderstanding.
Can't read tone and inflection unfortunately

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Anytime anyone in the states is caught with blackface of any form for any reason, it's considered racist whether that was the intent or not. Simply wanting to dress up as a black character for Halloween when you're white and blacking your face is something you dare not do. If my son wants to dress up as Nick Fury someday, he's going to have to emulate one of Nick Fury's white incarnations and not the Samuel L. Jackson version from the movies. Similarly, he doesn't dare go anywhere as the Idris Elba version of Heimdall from Thor. It's a shame because neither would be him trying to be racist, simply him trying to emulate characters he likes.

However, the blackface thing, no matter where you try to do it, or for what reason is automatically assumed to be you mocking black people by doing this:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I dont see the issue?

Black people exist and Asian people exist.

They are people.

Why not try to emulate them?

What if I want to go as samual L Jackson to fancy dress party?

Am I not good enough to portray and black person?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Apparently, someone did go whiteface for an album prank. They tried to make it a controversy.

I think the response from white people was a collective ... So?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah I dont care why should I?

To me its like someone dying there hair.

At the end of the day they are still a person.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join