It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexism in the Firearms Community

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Over the course of the last 4 years the firearms enthusiast community has exploded. The largest growing segment of the firearms community is female owners. Mostly first time buyers seeking personal protection, some entering the firearms competition industry, and others actually starting respectable collections.

Many of these women are firearms instructors who train men and women on firearms safety, concealed and open carry courses, tactical defensive rifle/pistol courses, and general marksmanship. Others are busting into the gunsmithing industry and making a name for themselves. The overall industry is bursting at the seams with women who are talented experts in the field of arms.

We are treating them like CRAP.

Everyday I see sexist comments by male gun owners, gunsmiths, instructors, and competitors that simply make me cringe. Comments on Facebook pages of firearms manufacturers and service providers, firearms enthusiast pages, and even the pages of female shooting sports competitors. These comments, and the pervasive view of women and firearms by chauvinistic morons drive otherwise enthusiastic potential female gun owners away from the shooting sports and the firearms community.

I think there needs to be a serious inward look at the attitudes we take toward female gun owners and the potential female gun owner out there. They deserve the respect of being treated like human beings.

Ok, rant over.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Over the course of the last 4 years the firearms enthusiast community has exploded. The largest growing segment of the firearms community is female owners. Mostly first time buyers seeking personal protection, some entering the firearms competition industry, and others actually starting respectable collections.

Many of these women are firearms instructors who train men and women on firearms safety, concealed and open carry courses, tactical defensive rifle/pistol courses, and general marksmanship. Others are busting into the gunsmithing industry and making a name for themselves. The overall industry is bursting at the seams with women who are talented experts in the field of arms.

We are treating them like CRAP.

Everyday I see sexist comments by male gun owners, gunsmiths, instructors, and competitors that simply make me cringe. Comments on Facebook pages of firearms manufacturers and service providers, firearms enthusiast pages, and even the pages of female shooting sports competitors. These comments, and the pervasive view of women and firearms by chauvinistic morons drive otherwise enthusiastic potential female gun owners away from the shooting sports and the firearms community.

I think there needs to be a serious inward look at the attitudes we take toward female gun owners and the potential female gun owner out there. They deserve the respect of being treated like human beings.

Ok, rant over.

I have found women learn faster thus shoot better because their macho doesn't get in the way of learning. Just my personal experience as a retired USPSA shooter & certified USPSA Range Officer. It was always comical when on the first day the gals shot much better on average the the men. The men were always trying to see who had the biggest... well I don't need to say it you know what I mean. You are spot on though.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Do you have any actual evidence of this or is this an opinion piece?

I have NEVER witnessed anyone treating a female firearms instructor poorly. The only thing I will agree with you on is that the female segment of gun enthusiasts appears to be growing exponentially.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It is obviously a rant from personal experiences.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm not sure what your personal experiences have been. I know plenty of women who are good with a gun. I've never observed them being unfairly discriminated against in any way.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Sounds like a sneaky "War against Women" thread, backed up with fangs to make male gun owners look like sexists!

DAYAM!

You guys are getting creative!

edit on 20-6-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I've not seen this myself. In fact, quite the opposite. The CCL class I took was taught by a woman, and the range officers often say that women are naturally a better shot, so husbands shouldn't feel bad by comparing targets. I've heard it often enough that women have better aim.
My instructors were all retired cops in the Ohio area, if that helps formulate statistics.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Yep, I've seen it and experienced it. Sometimes it's not even words, but raised eyebrows and skeptical looks. Or the assumption that I need to buy a .22 or must already own a .22, "it's easier" than a larger caliber. As if a woman could only manage with a smaller caliber...

The good thing is that once you become a regular, most of the fellas in your local gun store start to understand that you know your stuff, at least on some level, and they stop with the condescending tones and looks. (in my experience at least).

But it starts all over anytime you go into a new store.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Really now?

Have you seen any of my posts on the subject of gun ownership?

Why is this so hard for you to accept? This is something I have seen
and heard many times dealing with the firearms community.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

There's some psychology involved. While I didn't watch this entire video, this 'woman' starts nailing so much of 'the problem' I was immediately compelled to share.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Really now?

Have you seen any of my posts on the subject of gun ownership?

Why is this so hard for you to accept? This is something I have seen
and heard many times dealing with the firearms community.

Do you not think that we have idiots in all aspects of life that will not only demean those of the opposite sex, but also anyone else whom is different in some form or another???

Sorry I might have assumed something about you personally from your OP, but I just don't get it!

WTF difference does it make in the big scheme of things?

Seriously? Have we become so wussyfied that we will continuously point out those whom act out and behave in a manner that might offend someone else???

This sexist, racist, PC, BULLsnip that is doing nothing more than pitting us all against each other has just gotten to a point that when I see BS like this it just makes me go apesnit and no longer want to a part of such a bunch of thin skinned whiny bunch of sissies!

Your headline could have very well been, "SEXISM IN THE CUPCAKE MAKING COMMUNITY"! Who the hell cares? Should we cry to the government to create some more laws to stop it?

I am not trying to attack you personally, and forgive me if you are taking it that way. I am just trying to point out the craziness of this kind of article.....

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I gave my young niece some pointers on proper aiming technique. She was popping chickens in the head at 50 yards with a pellet gun at 5 years old.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Do you not think that we have idiots in all aspects of life that will not only demean those of the opposite sex, but also anyone else whom is different in some form or another???

Of course I understand that. But please understand that the firearms community is and has been a male dominated arena. Even with the existence of famous prolific shooters and advocates of firearms like Annie Oakley, many women to this day are not treated with the same level of respect that men are. It's a fact of life.

You see this in videos on youtube where men put overly powerful guns in the hands of an inexperienced woman just to get kicks out of her injuring herself.

Or the condescending attitude of men at ranges and gun stores as a previous poster pointed out.

WTF difference does it make in the big scheme of things?

It makes all the difference in the world when you consider the fact that the 2nd Amendment, our very right to arms, the one right to defend all others, is under attack in this country. We need all the allies we can get and allowing marginalization of women in the firearms community is not conducive to the defense of those rights. I would have thought that would be obvious.

Seriously? Have we become so wussyfied that we will continuously point out those whom act out and behave in a manner that might offend someone else???

Wussyfied? No. Recognizing the need for mutual respect? Yes. I find it astounding that you don't see the difference here. We NEED women. Especially since the vast majority of gun control supporters are women. We need to be able to convince them otherwise. Allowing sexism to go unchecked, thereby creating an unwelcoming community environment, will not help in that endeavor. Women need to recognize and exercise their right to self defense and the firearms community should be more conducive to that end. Without women on our side we will lose in the long run.

This sexist, racist, PC, BULLsnip that is doing nothing more than pitting us all against each other has just gotten to a point that when I see BS like this it just makes me go apesnit and no longer want to a part of such a bunch of thin skinned whiny bunch of sissies!

I believe you attract more people with respect than with rudeness and namecalling.

Your headline could have very well been, "SEXISM IN THE CUPCAKE MAKING COMMUNITY"! Who the hell cares? Should we cry to the government to create some more laws to stop it?

This isn't a call to arms for legislation. Stop being so sensitive. Cupcakes aren't a guaranteed and protected constitutional right that is under attack. Our 2nd Amendment rights are. So therefore, I care.

I am not trying to attack you personally, and forgive me if you are taking it that way. I am just trying to point out the craziness of this kind of article

The only craziness is the unwillingness to both accept the differences between how men and women are treated in the community, and the unwillingness to understand that a larger environment of respect needs to be fostered.
edit on pFri, 20 Jun 2014 23:15:11 -0500201420America/Chicago2014-06-20T23:15:11-05:0030vx6 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on pFri, 20 Jun 2014 23:18:09 -0500201420America/Chicago2014-06-20T23:18:09-05:0030vx6 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Any of you gals having a problem with men treating you in a way that you don't agree with, when you handle a firearm, you should move to Texas. The problem, if it exists, is not a problem here.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Any of you gals having a problem with men treating you in a way that you don't agree with, when you handle a firearm, you should move to Texas. The problem, if it exists, is not a problem here.

So now what, you trying to bogart all the women to Texas? Thats sneaky.... Here in Virginia we extend the finest southern hospitality to y'all mistreated female firearms owners, with ahem... deep ammo discounts.

/Southern Drawl

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning
That's miserable. My wife got her CCL with a Beretta military number, the smallest woman had the biggest gun.
I've seen the behavior you are talking about in one other shop in my area. The store was so shabby, and the salesmen looked so seedy, that I canceled my CCL test there, after I had paid for it. It had a really bad vibe. (Glad I did, too. Someone suicided themselves there the morning of the test.)

About women being anti-gun, I've seen that. My own sister is of that ilk- the prim shaking of the head and the down the nose look to anyone discussing guns. The world will always have weeners of both genders clogging up the route of common sense.
I've also seen many woman corner my wife and ask about where she got the license, where did she get her gun? Where did she get that neat purse with the holster? Many strong women, the ones that know better than to depend on a man to be a superhero (Usually it's daddy's little princess that has this affliction), understand the need for self-defense.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I've not witnessed it. Many woman go shooting with me and my friends and they shoot good. I encourage women to shoot or to get a CWP.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I certainly have experienced this myself. Like, the smaller caliber thing. How many times I've had some prick assume because of my sex and my diminutive size that I wouldn't want or need anything bigger than a .22. Even worse when they assume I know nothing, and try to tell me a .22 is fine for defense. Defense against what, exactly? A gang of drugged up pissed off rabbits? Pulleeze. So when I tell them I am looking for a .40 (Smith and Wesson M&P my personal fave. Adjustable grips are friggin AWESOME) I get "Don't you want something easier and made for your size ect". Something I can handle for my size? Bitch, please. When I was in the army, I not only fired M16 A1 and A2 pretty regularly, I also, in practice and training, have fired the M203 grenade launcher, AT4 anti tank rocket, the M60, a Claymore, and the 50 cal anti aircraft gun, ring mounted on a 5 ton. Oh, and frag grenades. And some fat hairy beardo douchebag wants to tell ME what I can and can't handle?

I've also known instructors, male ones, to also assume females don't understand their weapons and need more help. Like on a range, when peoples weapons jam up, I've noticed they more often than not, go over to female shooters more than males because they assume we don't know how to handle a firearms malfunction. Even though men have malfunctions, and have more difficulty clearing them. I am fully aware what to do when my firearm malfunctions, and 95% of the time, it is something I can take care of myself.

So I have experienced this sort of sexist behavior. I do not know how prevailent it is, I can only speak for my own experiences. However, it is enough to make me want to pistol whip the crap out the next macho bastard who comes up to me, unsolicited, and says something like "You need help with that, sweetie?"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I have not seen this with my interactions here in north Jersey.

The range that we frequent has a pretty good mix of men and women with courses offered for women and even having bachelorette parties.

I am sure what you have seen is accurate in your encounters but fortunately nothing by me.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'll do some biiiiig generalization here...

Gun owners are more likely to be conservatives.
Conservatives are more likely to be racist, sexist and stubborn to change.

So I'm not surprised to see this thread.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join