It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screw Sunni Vs Shia... What about our Pro-Western Kurdish buddies?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I could care less about Islams' version of the Crusades and Reformation, ours was ~800 years ago so theirs is now up, or I guess more appropriately their version of Catholics Vs. Protestants, well yeah and Crusades too I guess. What I DO care about is our PRO-Western, PRO-Christian, PRO-women's rights (they have female units actively training and fighting alongside men), Kurdish friends, ACTIVELY fighting Syrian and Iraqi insurgences (and doing a damn good job last time I checked). Trying to establish their own state of Kurdistan in Eastern Syria and North Iraq. I heard the news mention Kurds once in passing.

But what I want to know is how they are doing holding off the ISIS onslaught? Which is taking place in the EXACT same area. If any of us should be concerned about groups of people besides Oil I think we should be concerned about the closest group of people that have any relation to our sentiments and views of the rest of the Western world. We should be arming the Kurds to the teeth and letting them take over Iraq or at the very least help arm them to establish Kurdistan.

Why are we forgetting the closest people that a common American on the street could relate to and agree with? Does anybody have any news on how they're holding off?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Just to enlighten you the Kurds are figting for ASSAD .

My opinion is that they are extremist and I hold them to the same standard as these jihad extremists.
On both sides.

:ETA you sound like an extremists , you sound no better than these jihadist in Syria trying to establish rule.

What makes your views different?
edit on 0371013063761th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

edit on 0292023062962th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

We should be arming the Kurds to the teeth and letting them take over Iraq or at the very least help arm them to establish Kurdistan.

No we shouldn't be doing this the last place America needs to be getting into is another ME war. We have already wasted too much taxpayer money in that part of the world. Let these people fight and pay for their own wars.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
They aren't fighting for ASSAD regime. If you did your homework they were taking advantage of the situation to gain ground. They aren't just Christian, they are an amalgorithm, of Sunni, Shia, and some other minor religions.

Why do I care? Because they are the ONLY religious tolerant faction there. They have females not dressed in black garb but in the same jeans your girlfriend might wear. Because they aren't religious fanatics.

So excuse me for sounding like a "Jihadist" because I am promoting the only people in the area that hold a "live and let live" policy with their neighbors.

If you want to call self defense extremism, then you better turn the other cheek when somebody comes up and punches you in the face. Or just lean up against the wall for them

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

We should be arming the Kurds to the teeth and letting them take over Iraq or at the very least help arm them to establish Kurdistan.

No we shouldn't be doing this the last place America needs to be getting into is another ME war. We have already wasted too much taxpayer money in that part of the world. Let these people fight and pay for their own wars.

I agree with you. However if you've seen any recent documentaries on the Kurdish state, I feel like we supported the wrong of 3 minorities during the war.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

It is NOT 'another' war.

It is the same GD 'war' the last 6 US administrations have been dealing with.

People need to open up a history book.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Hopefully extremely bad if they are like americans. a reply to: Swing80s

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Swing80s

The Turks don't care much for the Kurds. The Turks are in NATO.

Maybe the Turks are the problem? They are swaying over to a theocracy lately.

Bottom line... Any religion that prescribes death for violating the rules of their meme ( i.e. apostasy & heresy) is my sworn enemy. If you are intolerant of my intolerance, I accept that --and I don't care.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere

My opinion is that they are extremist and I hold them to the same standard as these jihad extremists.

You have no idea what you're talking about. For starters the Kurds are mostly Sunni. They have been pro-American despite being repeatedly screwed by us. They have a safe mostly secular region where Arabs, Kurds, Sunnis, Shia and Christians all live together in peace. Why do you think all the moderate Sunnis and Shia have fled there for safety? They have a lot of western investment. Their forces held their ground against ISIS when the Iraqi army fled. They have moved into some of the few remaining Christian communities in Iraq to protect them from the Jihadists.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
None of the national boundaries that currently exist in that region were established till recently. The lines on the map that even follow oil pipelines were drawn up by the victors of war from the west, not by the peoples that inhabit the area. They see it far differently from us. And want to go back to former self actualizing, self determining status they used to enjoy.

Thats part of the whole problem, lines on a map.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

You have no idea what you're talking about. For starters the Kurds are mostly Sunni. They have been pro-American despite being repeatedly screwed by us. They have a safe mostly secular region where Arabs, Kurds, Sunnis, Shia and Christians all live together in peace. Why do you think all the moderate Sunnis and Shia have fled there for safety? They have a lot of western investment. Their forces held their ground against ISIS when the Iraqi army fled. They have moved into some of the few remaining Christian communities in Iraq to protect them from the Jihadists.

My mistake , I thought the Kurds were originally fighting in support of Assad , I was going of of hear say information.

Apologies.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

My mistake , I thought the Kurds were originally fighting in support of Assad , I was going of of hear say information.

Apologies.

My apologies, too. It's just that I have some friends who are Kurds. They are refugees in the states because they helped the U.S. against Saddam in the first gulf war. They've basically been screwed more than the Jews------by Iran, by Turkey, by Saddam and Syria. When they talk about Saddam gassing his own people it was really the Kurds who were gassed. They're just fighting for their own country at this point. It gets complicated because they should have gotten their own country after the break-up of the Ottoman Empire but now it's split between four or five other nations. They are Muslim but not fanatics; most of their women don't wear head covering for example. They are very hard working and pro-American.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swing80s

Why are we forgetting the closest people that a common American on the street could relate to and agree with? Does anybody have any news on how they're holding off?

A day or two old news but they were fighting on the outskirts of Kirkuk and had sustained a few casualties. There is concern because ISIS is armed with captured US equipment that is superior to what the Peshmerga has; they are getting shelled with US weapons, for example. But I think for the most part ISIS is leaving Kurdistan alone. They've moved in to protect just what they consider Kurdish territory; they have been told by some Sunni tribesman that they don't want Kurdish protection and to stay out which is evidence that some Sunnis are sympathetic to ISIS. I saw one report from an anonymous Peshmerga commander saying that they are ready to fight ISIS if anyone will help them,"America, Israel, Iran, anyone."

By the way Turkey just came out and said they would support an independent Kurdistan in Iraq which is a huge change of policy resulting from the oil they are getting from Kurdistan now.
edit on 20-6-2014 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

EDIT: This is the Kurdish news service I read:

rudaw.net...
edit on 20-6-2014 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Op good shout about the Kurds- they are really the forgotten people in Iraq.
Del Marvel- apppreciate the insider information (you knowing some Kurds). Like many on this site, I really don't trust MSM and the way they always have an angle on every story. So personal insight is useful.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Thought the Kurds followed the Aga Kahn...religious wise....
From what I know of them....we should have helped them out long ago.....
The Turks may be in NATO...but they aren't as pro west as the Kurds seem to be.....
The Peshmerga are a fighting force to be reconed with.....maybe they could bring real stability to their part of the world with more support....
We just cant be seen helping them out because the Maliki Gov would freak out....

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: buster2010

It is NOT 'another' war.

It is the same GD 'war' the last 6 US administrations have been dealing with.

People need to open up a history book.

Where was this war when Saddam was in charge?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If they all want to kill each other let them

Keep a close eye on it all and if it starts to look like it's going to affect us in the west, use drones to bomb the Shiz out of um?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
As a Conservative Libertarian I would agree with your statements about "let them kill each off, they don't do anything to help us etc... Oh Wait!". I just remembered about how the Kurds were extremely different then ALL of their neighbors, ISRAEL included. We should have gave them power, or sent our "300" over there, etc. Because they are tolerant, and stable. So at the least we should "let all 13 terrorist factions and corrupt governments kill each other off, except protect the Kurds with our "300" spartans", if we want to let them settle their own crap.

Because I would much rather have an oil rich Kurdistan than an oil rich Iraq, and Saudi Arabia. Period.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
ISIS = Wag The Dog meets Lawrence Of Arabia .

Kurds are too divided to hold their ground against other locals hence their stateless nation.

Ideally Iran - Iraq - Turkey - Syria would come together and grant Kurds their own country .

Any outside inteference would only ensure genocide of local Mesopotamians.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

Congratulations, it is a sign of wisdom when a person apologizes when they are in error.
Around here this is a rare thing.

Star and flag!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join