It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If time travel were possible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
If time travel were possible, would we even know about it?

I do not think so. My theory is about alternate time lines and that if someone had come back and changed something, it would effect that time line and not ours.

Ex: someone went back and killed Hitler before he began his legacy, that alternate time line would change but ours would stay the same and would be none the wiser.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I also think we would not know about it until the day someone actually claimed to create a time machine and even then nothing would change for us.

To us they would disappear and never return, to them they went back and changed something only to return to that alternate time line and not the one they left.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Not true. What has happened already cant be changed because if it COULD BE...if would have and we wouldnt even have the historical facts...because we couldve changed them by going back. But, obviously, we didnt go back because everything is as it is.

Heres a thought. I am sure we DO eventually learn time travel in the future because we came back and fixed things like nuclear annililation. famine etc...because we are here .

I think that proves we made it...there and back to there. It may be bad for us right now, but when we eventually send folks back, it will fix the future for us...we cant change the past because it already exists as it is.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

I do not think so. My theory is about alternate time lines and that if someone had come back and changed something, it would effect that time line and not ours.

Ex: someone went back and killed Hitler before he began his legacy, that alternate time line would change but ours would stay the same and would be none the wiser.

Of course, that isn't YOUR theory. That's a theory that's been around for quite a while. And before it was discussed that seriously in science Alfred Bester proposed the idea in his 1958 story ""The Men Who Murdered Mohammed".

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby

Of course, that isn't YOUR theory. That's a theory that's been around for quite a while. And before it was discussed that seriously in science Alfred Bester proposed the idea in his 1958 story ""The Men Who Murdered Mohammed".

It still is my theory because I never knew others brought it up until now..

Thanks for the history lesson, now about my question/theory or if you prefer the aboves theory/question..

edit on 16-6-2014 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

That's my whole idea, that we would never know if something was changed because it would never have changed for us in this time line but in our alternate time line.

Exactly why I think we would never know if we achieved time travel because we can't change that which has already happened but I am saying that problem doesn't exist for an alternate time line.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Sure we would.

The reason I say that, is that to do so would require a vast amount of power, and would cause some very exotic effects which would be registered all over the planet by very sensitive experimental gear in laboratories.

In fact it would probably skew the living hell out of a lot of the results.

We are talking about opening a way through time, and therefore through space. To do either of those things in any significant way, would cause massive fluctuations in the most fundamental fields and flows of energy that we know of.

So it's pretty likely that some boffin somewhere would know about it, probably before the apparatus even began.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

If time travel were possible...

If you go back in time and change something, you just create an alternative timeline, thats the theory you sometimes hear. Since you can't change what has already happened. So you can have a web of alternative timelines. Wonder if you follow the new timeline or go back to your own afterwards..?

That theory could then also be applied to people with psychic abilities (if one choose to believe in that stuff) that often see future events that never come true. What they see is a possible future based on some current situations. So maybe they see not the future, but the most possible future based on where and how we are at that given time.

And sometimes someone does something unexpected that changes everything. Maybe you don't need a time machine to change the future, or the past.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
If you just stick to one time-line then any changes to the past coming from either the present or future would have already happened because it would be in the past already. We have discovered time travel BTW, it is just early days though. We are obviously not the first species to discover time travel so when any travelling happens we are contained by them.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
How would you, me, (we), even know if time travel exisited?

I don't believe you can go forward or backward in time because it is here now and then gone but always before you.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

maybe hitler was killed before that war ever happened anyway, but someone from the future ahead of us went back and made sure he lived thus giving us todays history and not our futures previous history. as people we'd never know as thats how it would have always been for us.

we'd never know the alternative. crazy subject. so many ways to confuse yourself

if it was possible i think the only person affected would be the actual one who did the timetravelling. its their alternate reality, to everyone else its just how it always was

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
If time travel becomes legal for the general public, I'm going back to 1976 studio 54 and I'm going to disco and party until the ball drops on 1980 and REPEAT.

Also would take a gander at going to Woodstock 69.

But it stands to reason if the good folk can time travel, what about the bad ones? Last thing we need is somebody going back in time warning Nixon of Watergate.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
i love how you can just... kill hitler because you can time travel lol

i don't think time travel is possible

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This is why I love watching Doctor who and other Sci Fi shows, you can literally go crazy simply thinking about time travel and how (if possible) it would work.

&feature

edit on 17-6-2014 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I rather not find out which one is true.
Honestly I always say this:

Sometimes thing's should be left unanswered and even best to not be questioned. We'll just have to accept it, for if we do try to find an answer....the result could bring positive and or negative consequences....

Time travel is something we should honestly not mess with xD

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If a time traveler did change the past, alternate timelines aren't needed to explain any paradoxes. If the past changes because of intervention by a time traveler, all memories would change also. Memories would change to coincide with the results of changes to the past. So, the only one who would know about a change would be the time traveler.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: eManym
i see where you are going with this but it wouldnt be memories for the people of the time the traveller was in would just be what is happening now right? i mean it is not the past for them simply their present unfolding before them. The only memories it would change would be those in the future and to those people it would simply be history? i dunno such a confusing subject lol

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Time travel is possible. We are doing it. We are advancing at the rate of one second per second. What you are talking about is changing the rate and/or the direction of travel.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

You are really just stating the obvious (though not quite worded correctly). It is the theory of different time lines.

You can not change a time line, you just create a branch..its an old theory.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well since the earth travels through space faster than the speed of sound, a functioning time travel device would sonic boom upon exit and entry from a time line. Someone would probably hear it if it happens enough.

By the way, have they invented a terrestrial device that can travel 300 km/s (1,080,000 km/h) as well as a computer that can pinpoint where exactly in space any location on earth was in space at any given point in time in the 4.5 billion years the earth was around?

Current land speed record - 1223.657 km/h
Fastest manned vehicle ever - 7274 km/h

Guess not.
edit on 17-6-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join