It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is What Happens When A Magnet Is Dropped Through A Copper Pipe

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: GArnold
by putting the magnet close to the block it moves forward or backward depending on where the magnet is.

The magnet has to be constantly moving for it to work...

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

***ATTENTION***

The topic of the thread is This Is What Happens When A Magnet Is Dropped Through A Copper Pipe . The back and forth snipes stop now. Further instances will result in post removal and/or a break from posting privileges.

Do not reply to this message.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Again !!

Stop the sniping, address the topic Not each other.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel
I'm trying to distinguish "just floating" (which means nothing by itself) with actually interesting intrinsic physical modifications, of which I'm aware of none practically demonstrated & openly confirmed.
I could have expressed my thoughts better, which referred to two levels of "anti-gravity":

1. Cancellation of the gravitational field, which would be the gravitational equivalent of a Faraday cage cancling an external electromagnetic field, just bringing the field to zero. That's what I meant by "floating".
2. Reversal of the gravitational field, which again in the electromagnetic analogy would be like the reversal of an electric or magnetic field. The experiments investigating this were trying to determine if anti-matter might "fall up" (It didn't).

As you say neither of these effects has ever been demonstrated with gravity. But I hadn't actually considered "Anti-inertia" in either of those concepts. To me that's something else. It would be a great thing to have in addition to anti-gravity, so you're not limited to 9G maneuvers without losing consciousness.
edit on 20-6-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

by putting the magnet close to the block it moves forward or backward depending on where the magnet is.

The magnet has to be constantly moving for it to work...

Yes I realize that. Still cheaper in my estimation to create a system of "roads" that have magnets to move vehicles than to produce petroleum based engines in every car. I believe the Magnet system I envision would be much much safer as well. If it was a "smart road" you could stop the speed of the magnets or reduce them in such a way as to avoid accidents all together. Drunk driving would be a thing of the past as well. Basically the road system would be I. Total control of your vehicle.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: GArnold
How do magnets move the copper block-bottomed car in your idea?

ETA: This isn't supposed to be a stumper. I'm trying to figure out what you're talking about.
edit on 20-6-2014 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
How do magnets move the copper block-bottomed car in your idea?

In the exact same way they move the Copper cylinder in the video. They move it forward or backward. I am not going to hazard a guess as to how it happen but it does. If you take a positive end to magnet and a negative you cannot touch them together no matter how hard you try. There is a force there being created that makes it impossible. Did you watch the video? Did you see him/her moving the copper by placing the magnet close to the cylinder?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Did you see him/her moving the copper by placing the magnet close to the cylinder?

Yes I did. Did you see him place the magnet on top of the copper? What did it do? It sat there. If you place your copper car on Magnet Street that's what's going to happen. It will sit there. Nothing will happen until energy/force is introduced in some form.

In the vid, gravity causes the magnet to fall and his hand moves it. Were you thinking that the copper car would just start moving because it's near magnets? It seems that way but I ask to be certain.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Did you see him/her moving the copper by placing the magnet close to the cylinder?

Yes I did. Did you see him place the magnet on top of the copper? What did it do? It sat there. If you place your copper car on Magnet Street that's what's going to happen. It will sit there. Nothing will happen until energy/force is introduced in some form.

In the vid, gravity causes the magnet to fall and his hand moves it. Were you thinking that the copper car would just start moving because it's near magnets? It seems that way but I ask to be certain.

I am not going to argue with you so whatever. I rewatched the video. He does not have his hands on the copper to move it forward. Take two magnets and try to hold the + and - side together and see what happens. He hits it twice moving it forward and backward. It was moving by the force created by the magnets before that. If you think I am wrong.. so be it. The idea I had was the basis for mag-lev technology and that was 27 years ago. I think this would work. I am not an engineer... but I bet I could make this work given some funding or whatever. Watch the video again. He does not have have the magnet "on top of the copper" it is suspended easily an inch or more away. Research why Mag-Lev technology works. I am pretty sure they do not call it Mag-Lev by coincidence.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm trying to help you understand something that I think you're mistaken about.

Watch the last few seconds of the vid. He places the magnet on the copper and.... it sits there, doing nothing. That visual alone should be enough to demonstrate that a magnet sitting on copper does nothing. If that were the case generators would turn themselves and create current.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

He does not have his hands on the copper to move it forward.

No, but he is moving the magnet - and thus is moving the copper.

He does not have have the magnet "on top of the copper"

He does at 1:27....

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I don't know about that but wouldn't that slow the fall which would decrease the current generated?

The whole idea is to slow the fall and airgaps in magnetic circuits are a huge source of loss being the equivalent of high resistance in an electrical circuit. Minimal airgaps should enhance the electromechanical effect we're observing with the observable change being a slower descent as a result of stronger eddy currents generated in the pipe wall.

Just my theory of course as I don't have the materials on hand to confirm/deny it

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

The copper pipe moves because the magnet is moved in relation to it - the simple principle of electromagnetic generation. The magnet's flux moving through the copper produces eddy currents which have their own magnetic field and that reacts with the magnet's field. But only when there is relative motion between the 2 and when the magnet is stationary in relation to the pipe there is no reaction because there are no eddies in the copper. So yes, the magnet could be placed directly on the pipe with no ongoing reaction apart from that arising from approaching the pipe and, the faster the approach the greater the reaction.

No gravity manipulation here but the principle demonstrated could be applied to a type of shock absorber that doesn't have any oil or gas or any surfaces in physical contact with each other (avoids wear and tear). The weight of the thick pipe would be a problem though and it would get quite hot with heavy use due to I^2.R heating.
edit on 21/6/2014 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen if this thing was scaled up to let a human wearing a magnetic suit jump into it ?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

No gravity manipulation here but the principle demonstrated could be applied to a type of shock absorber that doesn't have any oil or gas or any surfaces in physical contact with each other (avoids wear and tear).

About 5 years ago I thought about using computer controlled electromagnets to create an active suspension in cars. I figured it either wouldn't work or someone else was probably already working on it if it did have merit.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

About 5 years ago I thought about using computer controlled electromagnets to create an active suspension in cars. I figured it either wouldn't work or someone else was probably already working on it if it did have merit.
Remember that MH370 plane from Malaysia that vanished on March 8th? It had lots of Freescale employees on board and their parent company is into active suspensions for upper end cars:

www.freescale.com...

Active suspensions are often found on today's high-end production sports and sedan cars and feature vehicle level and damping control on all four corners. They offer an adjustable ride, optimized for comfort or handling performance by automatically adjusting the vehicle's wheel and chassis movements according to road conditions...

Target Applications

-Active Suspension
-Electronically Controlled Suspension
The tech is different from the OP concept, but it sounds like you had a pretty good idea!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

*Off to design CopperCar with ElectroMag-RepulShock ® technology*

Note to self: Cancel ALL flights. Forever.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

You are 100% correct. The flux lines have to be intersected to create the effect. Motors, transformers, and generators use the same principle to operate. Except in the case of motors and transformers, the current is generated through the mechanism of rapidly collapsing and expanding the fields themselves.

edit on 22-6-2014 by LuXiferGriM because: eta

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join