It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla Motors turns all its patents over to the open source movement

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

I know it's hard to believe but there are large investors who are focusing on the green market industry because they see it as the future and so are investing in it now.

Not at all. without any doubt the green market is the next industry boom and the large investors are focusing on it. However, that doesn't mean its real intentions are to better man kind.

Are they creating the green industry purposely and as investors in the forefront they have put themselves in a position to gain the most?

Like you I hope for the best for mankind but I don't recall to many corporations, gov'ts or large investors first asking what is the right thing todo over making money.

its not that they are evil its the system is not setup to survive with thinking that way.
edit on 46630America/ChicagoThu, 12 Jun 2014 16:46:15 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Perhaps it is not so much an altruistic endeavor in the way most perceive that term..

Its realizing that a more successful method to increasing quality of life is dependent on having the most resources available working on the "project." In a culturally ironic twist, this is accomplished through providing the same tools to all.

In the end, it is still about greed. Its just not as short sighted as focusing on solely profits. Such a method is significantly more effective in increasing quality of life for even those who stand to monetarily profit the most.
edit on 12-6-2014 by Serdgiam because: gobbledeegook to coherence

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Threegirls

He is teaching people how to subvert the lock on technology created by Patent laws that hinder Humanitys development,this is happening all over the Planet now in a huge Wave.

All of the data needed to create the technology and greater ones is already in the Public Domain,that was where Tesla got much of it.

This was an all-in way to subvert Global control over progression,excellent move.

Humanitarians are learning that the way to break TPTB is to RELEASE technology for free to break their piggy banks,instead of taking fiscal bribes disguised as limited successthese Humanitarian Heros are giving their knowledge to Humanity freely.

It is the way of the future.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Not at all. without any doubt the green market is the next industry boom and the large investors are focusing on it. However, that doesn't mean its real intentions are to better man kind.

Consider that we know for certain that the fossil fuel industry doesn't give a f# about acid rain, smog, oil spills, poisoning aquifers, earthquakes, mine collapses, leveling mountains, pumping money into countries that hate the US & support terrorism, sucking down subsidies, paying off politicians, buying elections or global warming.

Fossil fuels are on their way out and I don't see a problem with forward thinking businessmen making money. If the result is cleaner, more sustainable sources of energy, it's a win even if the people behind it are in it for the money.

Elon Musk is self-taught programmer (who sold his first piece of software at 12), with a degree in economics and another in applied physics. He's willing to risk a substantial chunk of his own fortune on a gamble like SpaceX — that alone demonstrates his serious intention to change the world for the better in my book. I'm not surprised, given that he's a techie, that he would see the benefit in turning over the patents to the open source community. Look at the billions made in the industries that have grown up around Linux — it is possible to make money doing the socially responsible thing. Kudos to Elon Musk, the guy's a polymath nerd rock star.
edit on 2014-6-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Interesting.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Makes you wonder if they have something really interesting cooked up at that company. Imagine if you had one or two underlying technologies recently developed that makes the previous models obsolete. Then it really wouldn't hurt too much to give away all of the old stuff, as the parts or systems that make your product unique and worth buying are still very much going to be retained in-house.

Your competitors are thus free to dabble with the old stuff while your next breakthrough vehicle is getting over 10x the range.

Or it's just a crazy way to get media attention.

One of those wait and see things.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I love Elon Musk.

Between this and SpaceX, this guy might literally change the world in our lifetimes.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: pauljs75

No I think that is really quite feasible and once they develop their new patent-able tech they will profit for a while before handing over to the public domain. I hope we see more of this.
But it will allow for the current tech to become available to developing countries who could use this to their advantage as they can often produce technology a lot cheaper.
So while Tesla sell their new tech at inflated prices until they get what they want out of their investment and their old tech becomes cheap and available to all. It's a win win situation.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Never said it wasn't possible but its not the norm and kudos to him if he does. I'm just not holding my breath based on the trend and in past promises by corporations and politicians.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
the patent system can be a trap for many reasons...
it costs a lot of money to patent an item...
it costs a lot of money to take someone to court for infringing or stealing your idea...
the government can slap a...not to be made public because of national security....on your patent....

if I was to invent a break through energy/storage device that would rock TPTB's tightly controlled boat....
I would NOT HESITATE to put it on the net as open source for the world to share and use....

it would be worth it just for the giggles....to watch the reaction....to watch the hissy fits of the control freaks....

I would love to see some-one in this big wide world do something like this...dame the money and the capo way of life.... for once in history...... and do something right for the world....

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
The patents system is nothing but a detriment to humankind and all patents that are over 10 years old should be made open source. The reason being anyone can come up with the most amazing invention ever made that would change the world, patent it and never allow it to come to production.

Set a time limit in which the original patent designer can profit from his invention but after that limit it becomes public property and anyone is free to use it.

Doing something like this would change the world IMO.

The patent process insures you will recoup your R&D cost upon production, that is if anyone is interested in purchasing your product or concept before earning a profit. The patent term is 17 years for Patents before 1995 and 20 years after. You can't change the world with enjoyable trinkets, but you can change the world with a cancer cure.
Would you patent it and make billions or give it away?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Couldn't stop laughing at the nice checkmate and couldn't stop crying tears of joy that a corporation actually ran by PEOPLE just gave a middle finger to the oppressing opposition.

Thank you for this 10th.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
He did this to sell other companies the batteries he is planing to monopolize.

Of course, Musk may have an ulterior motive in addition to his altruistic one. He’s about to pick the finalists in a four (and perhaps five) state race for the $5 billion gigafactory, which is meant to produce battery kits for as many as 500,000 vehicles by 2020.

Forbes

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Personally if it were to change the world then I would give it away after recouping my initial costs, just like Tesla did in this move.
Think of all the pharma patents that would have saved countless lives but big pharma love to make huge profits so lets hold back a cure for 20 years and price it so only those in developed countries can afford them. Then as GSK & co. rake in their huge profits each year, paying huge dividends to their shareholders. Thousands die in the process but it's ok because as long as the patent holder can make his billions then why shouldn't he?
20 years is too long, that's a whole generation.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

I suspect with China 'on-line' whom has traditionally disregarded patent law in the past with quiet glee it had to happen.

I hope that this 'new industrial spirit' continues to grow and we can build the world to be a place where every one has access to education, health care, a fair standard of housing and some form of job or work prospects.

With so many unemployed, apart from the poor souls who nature ensured they could not live responsibly and safely, I also think we should be creating more public services work for those who could manage this kind of work. Money held in so few hands holds back humanity's progression to making the world a great place to live. A new way of channelling people's urges to have mega power needs to be found to put that ability into something those with it can be proud of and rightly receive public acclaim, not public disdain.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Well do you think anyone will really further the designs or just rip them off?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Perhaps it is not so much an altruistic endeavor in the way most perceive that term..

Its realizing that a more successful method to increasing quality of life is dependent on having the most resources available working on the "project." In a culturally ironic twist, this is accomplished through providing the same tools to all.

In the end, it is still about greed. Its just not as short sighted as focusing on solely profits. Such a method is significantly more effective in increasing quality of life for even those who stand to monetarily profit the most.

exactly
best post on the subject and i can not emphasis that enough

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: tri-lobe-1

Well the reality we all face is that we all have to make a choice about how we valuate Humanity,as our Global perspective has evolved and expanded we have all begun to understand EXACTLY how Global resources and influence are being used to manipulate us all,and this has created one of the most epic dynamics of US against TPTB that mankind has ever seen,TPTB are absolutely arse deep in the crap right now.

Each advance that is gifted to Humanity by proxy removes a large degree of TPTBs power.Actually it shifts the power and they need to work harder to maintain and preserve it and cannot grow it.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

You dont need batteries,and he knows it now,he is not giving away anything you could not find and understand yourself and he knows it.

The primary reason the Electric car was suppressed was because any extended and focused study and research by the mainstream public would have immediatly led to Tesla type power distribution which means no batteries OR fossil fuel.

It is still a massive boost for Humanity to release this data ,because it FORCES TPTB to bring out mass produced higher technologies SOONER than they wanted to.

Anyone who has driven a well designed and built home-grown Electric Car will immediatly settle for no less,I was hooked the first time I felt how it moved,so will everyone else be when these hit mainstream markets in the forms they are being produced in now.HIGH performance PLUS.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Love it!

It's nice to hear that a large corporation is actually doing something right for a change.

Tesla himself would be proud.

edit on 13-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join