It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Janitor Walks Into Gymnasium to Clean a Mess, Then Gets the Surprise of His Life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Just when you think the worst of people, stories like this come out

A HS janitor went to the gym to clean up a 'mess', and was shocked at what the students and faculty did for him
They gave him a nice surprise when he showed up....$$$$$$$

Wednesday marked the last day of school for students in Anderson County and they celebrated by surprising a staff member with a special gift.

They gave janitor Ricky Spaulding enough money to see his family stationed overseas. Excited students and staff poured into the Anderson County High School gym for a pep rally which was the part of the cover for the surprise.

"They said they had a spill and of course that's my job so I went to clean the spill up," Spaulding said.
But instead of a mess, they presented him with a bag of money the students had collected totaling $1,900.

"My son is stationed in Italy and we are going to see him," Spaulding said. "Words can't describe the joy that I feel right now."

www.lex18.com...

The secret donations started earlier this year when staff members heard that Spaulding hadn't seen his son in a year and had never met his new grandson

Ah, that is so cool!!!
What a great way for him to finish the school year

Way to go people, you guys rock!!

edit on 11-6-2014 by snarky412 because: add vid

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Sad times when we can't even join our distant family members.. Money holds us too tightly, hopefully sometime in the near future we can all be free from its grasp and trot about freely as we please, slave to no utilities or subscriptions.

Kudos to this situation, each glint of humanity that shines through reaffirms my belief that there is good to be found.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
S&F for always sharing something that shows the best in people. These days it is very easy to feel like the bad outweighs the good. It's even easier to feel like you might be the only caring person left on the planet some days.

These stories always give me hope for humanity and a niggling suspicion that the good people do outweigh the bad folks... it's just that the good folks rarely get the air time they deserve.

In this case, I would just about guarantee that the janitor would've been just as happy knowing that so many people knew he existed and cared about what his existence was like without ever receiving a penny. That's just one more reason I love seeing people like this catch a break.

I hope his trip is everything he dreamed it would be, and I hope that everyone involved in this know how many people it affected.

Damned Kleenex...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Nice! I thought the surprise was going to be a severed head or something.

Janitors are the real backbone of every institution.

edit on 6/11/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Nice! I thought it was going to be a severed head or something.

Janitors are the real backbone of any institution.

You can tell the kids really like him
It takes all kinds of people to help maintain structure in a society, janitors being one of them

Kudos to all of them and hope he and his wife have a wonderful time with their son & grand-baby!!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Just don't tell my room mate that, it will send his ego over the top!

Great story, it's wonderful as others said to see the good side of our collective species

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse

Haha.
I've had some close family members who have been custodians and with the stuff they put up with, they deserve some accolades like this.
If they weren't there, the place would go downhill in a matter of hours.

edit on 6/11/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
IRS will probably hit him with gift tax and fine the school for illegal fundraising.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

thats why i dont buy girl scout cookies from hookers when im done with them, something about it seems there but at the same time not right like the money isn't going to better scouting

I am jk but thought your post most appropriate and as a cynic myself pretty bang on

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

That took all the helium out of my balloon! "Mayday...mayday, I'm goin in!"

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

thats why i dont buy girl scout cookies from hookers when im done with them, something about it seems there but at the same time not right like the money isn't going to better scouting

I am jk but thought your post most appropriate and as a cynic myself pretty bang on

That escalated rather quickly...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AprilFooseball

so i come with bad jokes sorry about all that

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I think we should never "lose faith in humanity", as is so commonly said.

Humanity is what it is. Its always been what it is today, for the most part. We have had a fair number of complete dimwits live and die over the ages. I am certain that Honey-boo-boo and Snooki aren't the pinnacle of mendacity, despite our obvious misgivings. And I am certain that men have been reviled as much as (insert political/religious figure here).

This man was the benefactor of kids, who tend to be more giving with what they have. And to be honest, he seemed like a really good guy. But even if he were a massive jerk, he would still benefit from a trip to see his son. And I cannot find anything bad to say about that.

Great video Snarky.
Ill have to show the wife in the morning when she gets home.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Yes you can tell. I will tell you that in my few years in high school, a few of the non-teachers stood out.

They were always eager to talk. And way less judgmental than the teaching staff.

The best way to learn about how you feel about something is to listen to an outside observer. Not someone who gauges your intelligence vs. a rise in their pay scale.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
What a lovely story.

Its not like he would have died or anything without a trip to his son, but hes just such a nice guy they did it anyway. Very nice, go school

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Wonderfully inspiring story.

It seems as the flag and star count with such a low number of posts that this is thread that makes you feel real good inside that beauty in people being able to unite is still alive and kicking.

No need to post as this is one the few threads where we all would have unanimous opinions.

to humanity

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
IRS will probably hit him with gift tax and fine the school for illegal fundraising.

Why can't ya just say "great story" "there are good ppl out there...bla, bla, bla..."

So much negativity in the world. Yeah, you may be right but we could just enjoy a minute of niceness in the world for a moment...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I love stories like this, we need them now more than ever. We human beings need to be good to one another, and it's so much easier said than done because of the World of greed that we all live in, and are trying survive through. If we all tried to help each other, or at the very least just be kind to each other, it would be a much better place to live.

It's amazing what the power of a kind gesture can do. Course I know that would not fix everything, I understand the reality of this World, but it sure would be a nice start. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Ummm...What you really meant to say was..."Damn...I wonder if they had given him an appreciation raise...instead, he might have just saved his money...and bought his own freaking tickets".....................What a concept

YouSir
edit on 14-6-2014 by YouSir because: quotations are people...too

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I really do enjoy reading articles like this thank you Snarky412.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join